SOTD: Saturday March 25 - Friday 31 March 2023.

After the last poor shave with the shark blade I took a day or two off. Had a change of hardware and software today

MSC Frosted Lavender
Fatip slant
Rapira platinum lux (2nd shave)
Body shop Aloe Vera aftershave balm

Always a challenge for any blade I have tried on more than a days growth. First pass was a bit tuggy but the fatip did the job with care, final pass was a smooth as ever. MSC always performs well for me and rapira blades are very smooth, maybe not quite as sharp as others but I always think I'd be hard pushed to find a smoother or better daily/newbie blade for someone starting to venture away from the usual suspects.

I may leave this kit set up as a back up for the next lucky dip shave just in case another shark chrome is found

Last edited:
Thursday 30th March

AMWts8A-R-zxAMhbBY1zQKTyiAYYLddMIgxoLp9wTzUQGsyoy_WcNejA5BUjSIzhVzNYq9Lv4P6aHx2kjRqp4nKUI5SWJJFIw9FTPuWCBigvkYxDLXtXwCBhMe6CNgNnjlHLdUnIaOTJeTGQiVE43kMsm5_jcg=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Derby Shaving Stick (Grated) & Omega 80005 Pure Bristle
Razorock Eco & Dorco ST-300 (3)
Hai Karate Aftershave

What a peculiar razor!

When Razorock commissioned the Eco, the designers surely played a joke on them as the razor they sent back is a catalogue of all the things NOT to do when designing a razor! The head is designed for half a DE blade but is itself larger than a full blade DE head. The blade protrusion is dangerous with a measurable 2mm presentation; at least they covered the snapped tabs. The angle that the blade is set is far more perpendicular to the face than is funny unless the shave takes its geometry from the top cap. But, the blade does not follow the angle of the curve of the top cap. Duh! Oh, and the corners of the blade are so far inwards that they're rendered entirely unusable.

... but that is the genius of this thing.

You absolutely have to have the cap flat to the face and so that odd angle of the blade is actually just perfect. If you even try to cap ride, it'll become uncomfortable and taking the angle from the comb is just dangerous! While you'd be tempted to approach this thing like an adze, best results are found by riding the apex. I was immediately put in mind of the 1914 ... no, the 1907! Single edge shavers will appreciate that difference. More importantly, it's a razor that uses a DE blade and actually feels like a GEM. If Leaf made a transition razor for folks coming from cartridges in the Twig, Razorock made a transition razor for proper single edge shaving. None of that AC silliness.

The 1907 is a true lather-catcher and the 1914 the "little lather-catcher" ... this razor is "the littlest lather-catcher". In use, the build up of lather behind the long curved head was not at all problematic and in fact, I probably only rinsed the razor a couple of times per pass. Thinking about it now, I could probably have made each pass without rinsing. Oh, and the obscured blade corners was entirely a non-issue as I just took the same approach that I do with the 1912.

I took two passes, the second of which was entirely unnecessary as this razor makes for a highly efficient shave. I was just having fun ...

Much thanks to @Ebberman for sending me the razor. I like it! It's the polar opposite of the Twig and the other point of the triangle to the Yaqi SE.

17EEE9F2-861D-43BB-BBD3-60B37349B843.jpeg
SOTD: 30/03/2023

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: A&E Vida Puck
Aftershave: A&E Vida Aftershave
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm

The delightful Tech today as a palette cleanser before trying my new Occam’s tomorrow. Wonderful as always, as was the soap and the splash.

You absolutely have to have the cap flat to the face and so that odd angle of the blade is actually just perfect. If you even try to cap ride, it'll become uncomfortable and taking the angle from the comb is just dangerous! While you'd be tempted to approach this thing like an adze, best results are found by riding the apex.
If I can wean myself off Barber Razors for a day.........I must revisit my ECO. My initial feelings were not positive but I think you have shed new light on what the problem was!

If I can wean myself off Barber Razors for a day.........I must revisit my ECO. My initial feelings were not positive but I think you have shed new light on what the problem was!

Super! Yeah, get the angle to what feels like about right if you were following the cap and then tilt back a tad more. In actual fact, you're probably almost at what would be the apex of the curve if it was a full double edge.

Not my final entry for this past week of SOTD's as this was last night's shave and uselessness stepped in. So here we are and a shave themed, '............'

20230330_133328.jpg

........ - Stainless Mongoose
........ - Feather
........ - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
........ - Signature Soaps Londinium
........ - Ermenegildo Zegna acqua di bergamot

'Everyday, same old rubbish! Shave of the day, Shave of the day, Shave of the day. Is there no real news these days?'

And the news was.....It was a lovely Shave of the day and there was Jack shit else to say. And the usual back page sporting section, Japanese girlies crowned world champions at being Japanese girlies.....

SOTD 31-Mar
Screenshot_20230330_230343_Lightroom.jpg
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Soap: A&E Revolution
Razor: Friodur 472

Wonderful shave this morning from an absolutely fresh edge from JJShave. Decided to take it back to zero and have someone competent (as in not me) do it and so glad I did. Smooth shave that took enough down in two pass for me to skip the third.

I'd also sent my other two Friodurs and Koraat for the same reset so they will get the outing they deserve in the coming days!

Excellent performance and scent from the revolution, another one that I really like.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pre-Shave
Razor: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green)
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Brush: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green) -Synthetic
S Cream: Simpsons

It's no surprise why this razor is recommended to someone starting their DE journey. Such a pleasure to use and such a great result. Even if you are an experienced DE shaver I urge you to (re)visit the Muhle R89. It will definitely raise questions as why spending more on a razor :unsure:

SOTD.jpg

31/03/23
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Erasmic Gelousy Bulb 20mm
Soap - OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol
Razor - ES Claymore V1
Blade - Kai captain Titan Mild
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Proraso Green
A/S - OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol
Wk 13 (7).JPG
The V1 Claymore is definitely among the heavyweights of "Razordom" i really like it though, it shaves very much like the B3 Mongoose i had. This is my only modern razor that was manufactured in the UK, in Scotland to be more precise.
The OSP soap and re-knotted Erasmic whipped up plenty of slick goodness for the shave.
2 very comfortable and efficient passes later i am left with a wonderful BBS finish.
A nice cooling post shave to finish this nice bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day.

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pre-Shave
Razor: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green)
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Brush: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green) -Synthetic
S Cream: Simpsons

It's no surprise why this razor is recommended to someone starting their DE journey. Such a pleasure to use and such a great result. Even if you are an experienced DE shaver I urge you to (re)visit the Muhle R89. It will definitely raise questions as why spending more on a razor :unsure:

View attachment 103248

Do you usually buy two of everything?

Fri 31st March

Alpha Classic G4 28mm
Ach Brito Mogno
Claymore Evolution
Feather Proguard ( 1 )
Tuff Red A/S Lotion

Always enjoy a Shave with a fresh FPG, a good close all round finish attained in no time.Today have roofers coming to do estimate for works needed, am rather wary though they are subsidiary of local firm.

8AC4D506-AAE6-4F55-AA1B-BD1AAC0AA554.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom