SOTD Sat. 4th May to Fri. 10th May 2013 ...

Afternoon, gents.

Wednesday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle, shimmed
Blade: Rapira SS (5)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Palmolive
A/S: Old Spice Champion

Very good.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
NF 1901 brush, MWF
Gillette Slim (#6), Rapira Swedish (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

The Slim on setting #6 did the business... might be falling in love with vintage again. Left a few weepers, but that was on an area of my neck that I roughed up with the Atlas R1 a few shaves ago... not quite recovered yet

pearl open comb razor
supermax super platinum
shavemac #25 silvertip
dr harris almond shaving cream
l'occitane verdon AS
acqua di gio edt

a decent enough shave but felt a little rough, dont know whether it was a duff blade or a bad blade/razor pairing. ages since i used acqua di gio, thought id give it another go but i still cant get excited about it.

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: William Rodgers "The Favorite", restored by Jamie
Brush: Neep #1287 cobalt blue tulip horsehair
Cream: Taylor's Lemon and Lime
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger

Very nice indeed.

Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette Platinum (2)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Proraso green soap (old)
Proraso Aftershave balm
Serge Lutens Chergui

Late one at work today due to yet another Parents Evening. I got in, went straight up for a shower and shave, and won't bother going downstairs for what's left of the night. Bedtime for me after another excellent Proraso shave. DFS rather than BBS, but that's user error.

I've been enjoying the two sprays of Chergui under my shirt today. It's not immediately appealing, but I really like that. I like interesting, non-gourmand orientals; Chergui's definitely that!

Griffo said:
Wednesday morning - first work day morning shave for about 5 years :icon_razz:

Razor : Feather Popular

I'm really enjoying this cheap Feather razor and it was a great combo with the Astra this morning.

That razor would be high on my list of ones to start out with. Hardly any money at all for em, with a plastic handle/metal head construction. The TTO works ok and the overall build quality isn't bad at all. Only thing is, they're extremely mild and require a very sharp blade to do any cutting. One of the few fixed head designs to easily tame a Feather blade.

Now if you like that razor, you should sign up for the Stahly head pass around. Stick that on your favorite handle and away you go!! Not trying to enable you in any way of course.

Martin

Proraso green soap, old formula
Henk walnut silvertip
Progress on 2, 1.5, 1 with Derby
Home made Cedarwood aftershave

I haven't used a Derby for... who knows? Must be two years. Well it started off well. Did four passes but couldn't hey very close in the neck and there's quite a lot if irritation there. Not great. Probably won't bother with Derbies for a while

NotTheStig said:
Proraso green soap, old formula
Henk walnut silvertip
Progress on 2, 1.5, 1 with Derby
Home made Cedarwood aftershave

I haven't used a Derby for... who knows? Must be two years. Well it started off well. Did four passes but couldn't hey very close in the neck and there's quite a lot if irritation there. Not great. Probably won't bother with Derbies for a while

How mild is that! Progress on 2 or lower! You could have tried an aggressive razor and found a use for a Derby. It worked for me but YMMV (seems like no-one says YMMV these days).
Next time you have a silly idea like using a Derby... well, stop acting on these silly ideas :)

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Klar Kabinett and Erasmic cream - suribachi lathered
Razor: Gillette Canadian fat handle Tech - 2 shims
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Balm: Witch hazel and IK balm

What a difference two shims has made to this razor. I actually nicked myself on the chin with it!

I don't know if these are more aggressive than the English Techs but I am very pleased indeed with the difference the shims made.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

What a beautiful handle; shame about the head screwed on the end of it! :icon_razz:

Regards
Dick.

I actually found it quite good, although it is the 2013 version. The 2011 is supposed to be harsher isn't it?

Wednesday afternoon.

I work nights, so when on shift I shave in the afternoon.

Prep: N Spa face scrub
Brush: Wilkinson Sword
Cream: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome
Blade: Shark super stainless

I thought I would give my normal brush, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Ebony synthetic bristle, a rest. I dug out the WS brush. Not a bad brush, and left me feeling mildly and pleasantly scrubbed. Some bristles are splitting at the tips but this is an advantage as it softens the feel. Not a bad brush despite mixed opinions on it.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep/Pensoftheforest custom
Razor: Edv. Neiström
Soap: Cade
AS: La Coste
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

This little wedgy guy was pretty good, but you do need to work a little harder with the angles with smaller blades, at least I've too :D

Thursday ix May, 2013

Good morning all.

Prep: Shower, Arran Aromatics Lavender & Tea Tree Facial Scrub
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger Turnback
Soap: La Toja/Palmolive Mash up
Razor: Merkur 46C Travel
Blade: Sputnik #2
Post: Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh Post Shave Solution, Zirh Moisturiser
Fragrance: Sex Pistols EdP

Result: This morning I tried out a slightly modified lathering technique. Having noticed that the lather for pass number 2 always seems to be better than the first pass I loaded the brush then built my lather in my bowl before my shower and left the lather to rest (I think this would be akin to the steamed milk used for lattes and cappucinos). After the shower I gave it one quick final whipping up and applied it to my face. It certainly was an improvement on the first lather on previous shaving events.
Anyway, it lead to an excellent, close and smooth shave.

Have a good day, gents.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom