Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 26th Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible to fit hard soaps, yes.
You can grate them into the container, or just put them into it. With a little water, they will "glue" to the bottom of the container.
Even large soaps like L'Occitane Cade can fit in this container with no problem, without the need to grate it. The same for Institut Karité or MWF.

But grating the soaps is always an option. I recently received a block of Klar Kabinett shaving soap and I think that I'm gonna grate that one... mostly because of its shape! It is an hard, tripple-milled rectangular block! It doesn't fit inside these boxes! :lol:

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields whitecap
1958 Executive/Rotbart
Monsavon SS (nice stuff)
vintage RL 'Safari' AS balm

The Rotbart has turned out to be a nice blade......four comfortable and close shaves so far.

BBS results,

Martin

Wednesday

EJ Chatsworth
Big Ben blade (1)
New Forest High Mountain
TOBS Rose Cream
Boots Bay Rum AS (Hair Tonic :D )
Dr Henk's Bay Rum ASB.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Anthony logistics shaving oil: Semogue 830 : Carbtree&Evelynn Nomad : Merkur 1904 : Polsilver: Royall Bay Rum : Acqua classica de Borsari di Parma

P3022408.jpg

oversaturn: excellent soap storage idea. Almost, but not quite, enough to prompt a visit to Ikea.

Rather a pale sort of shave today:

SOTD020311small.jpg

Kent BK4; George Butler "Keen" 5/8 (this one's in ivory, beautifully restored by Neil. I like these razors a lot.); Nanny's lime soft soap; Tabac aftershave.

MWF Hand Soap,
GFT Coral FS as prep,
GFT Rose SC,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Coral SF,
L'Occitan EdT.

SOTDMar2nd2011.jpg

I wasn't well for a couple of days so I hadn't shaved since Sunday. :(

Boy did I enjoy today and the sound of that straight mowing down three days growth. :D

The blade was really sweet too! Maybe there's something to be said for resting it for more than 24 hours? Maybe I need a second one! Well at least one more!! :)

Wednesday

Changed to many things today I think.
Gold Gillette Razor from Blades
Soap Balm and AS from Professor Blighty (Grapewood)
Gillette 7'clock Yellow Blade
2 Brushes, My original w/sword and a little one I got with my Proffessor Blighty bits - remembers I had it after 1st pass so started again ;)

:shave 3 passes, 1 of each WTG, XTG and ATG

Cheeks are smooth as a baby's bum, chin and neck a little rought but I go easy there whilst learning. No rash as such just a big red blotch coving the whole area I shaved, may be a slight reaction to something will try without the Prof's balm and AS tomorrow and just use the soap - trial and error

Only one bleed, about 1cm long but this is a little nick I caught a few days ago and reopened.

Anyway some pix, please comment on them as new to the camera (canon eos 350d with stock 18-55mm lens) and well photography - suddenly going from being very active to stuck on the sofa and relying on others has made me start a few new hobbies - never expected to get so excited about shaving though - have shave more in the last week than I did in the month or so leading upto it

SOTD2ndmarch2011.jpg

Here's my shave of the day, as well as being my first DE shave in nigh on 44 years. Sorry, no pics.

The prep: Some body shop face wash thing, sample, name unknown, smelt botanic. Applied in shower.

The brush: Vulfix 404

The razor: EJ De89bl

The blade: Derby Extra (came with the EJ)

The Soap: Nanny's Gentlemen's shaving soap (lime :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig )

The follow-up balm: Gillette Series Sensitive.

The experience? Revelatory! Not the closest shave ever, but I wasn't expecting it. I had to remind myself to take time, particularly when building the face lather (just didn't have a bowl handy). Seems I also have to unlearn some bad habits, mainly the whole multi-pass without relathering thing I tend to do with a cartridge (but those days are past. Past I say!) I could really feel the lather thicken and smooth on the face :) I was quite nervous before starting, expected something far more difficult. In the end, it was SUPERB. The smell of the soap (Nanny, genius!) The glide of the razor, the slight tickle of the brush.

I think I'm hooked already :lol:

Happy Shaving!

Ainslie

Off the top of my pointy ole head, "Great stuff!" to the following:

• Robert Otten:
        • - I'm not sure I've seen anyone use an Enders razor in a SortD post to this point.
          • I hope you can keep your blade supply if you carry on with it though.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
            OverSaturn:
                • - +1 very cool containers, but I'm still glad I don't drive and Ikea is not that accessible, locally without a set of wheels.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
                  GingerPose / Ainslie:
                      • - excellent to read your first DE shave went so well for you.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

... and now, onto my own SotD:
                        • Wednesday Night:

* Parker 84R 3-Piece
                          * Lord Cool super stainless
                          * Vie Long 13725 horsehair
                          * Nanny's Ice & a Slice (with Goat Milk)
                          * Magical Ice Crystal Alum stick
                          * Humphreys Cucumber Melon
                          * Alcolado Glacial
                          • o The air conditioner in a bottle![/list:u][/list:u]

Wednesday Night

Wilkinson Sword Classic Razor
Treet Carbon 'Black Beauty' Blade
Omega 81052 Boar
Blighty Black & White Cream
Alum
Home made herby AS

A very nice shave albeit not the closest.

Love those blades, I find the WS Classic a mild razor but much under rated indeed I don't think its milder than some of the vintage Gillettes I've tried. The lather from the prof's cream was top notch tonight having started with a very dry brush. My Herby AS has a strong hit of cloves but the fragrance isn't long lasting however the feel is good and its satisfying to know you made it yourself.

I have accumulated 2 Enders past monhs with around 30 blades, 2 razors in the mail, I made a few offers and always looking for a bargin for more blades until I think I have enough to use them and allow others to use an Enders --- then that's it. It's about the experience and the single edge which leads to ... Not there yet

Those blades are substantial. Not thin - but manly. My milage for tis razor and blade varied right into the slot I look for. SOTD pictures I always have time for; just need to learn how to post a bigger pictue at TSR. Regards to all and enjoy your shave in a hour or two. Night All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom