Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday

Std combo for me at the moment:

Hot towl
Merkur 34c
Derby blade
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (Indian Sandalwood)
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Kings Face Balm (Black pepper and sandalwood)

Did two passes and nothing else nice smooth shave, the balm seems to be working well and my face seems to have gotton used to it. Looking forward to the Rose cyril Salter to arrive so that I can rotate the scents a little I like the Sandalwood put would like the option to change them a bit thru the week.

Second day in a row that I haven't shaved ... well, actually I shaved my neck to my jaw line but didn't waste soap on it. Scary to see how white my whiskers are now!

Not being lazy, just re-arranging some facial furniture.

Thursday morning
Pre: hot shower
Brush: Simpson PJ 3
Razor: Gotta 120
Soap: Nannys Ice and a Slice
AS: Floid
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
Ahh, nice one! Refreshing, close and effortless :D. This blade turned out to be very good, it looked close to NOS first, but then needed a lot of resoration to get back in shape. Now it´s close in action to my lovely Three Crosses razor.
004800x599.jpg

Thursday, 03.Mar.2011

Predopo Proraso
Semogue 1305
Klar Kabinett
Mühle R89
Personna Continente
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Institut Karité Baume Après Rasage Hydratant

P1030470.jpg

Klar Kabinett is indeed a good soap, with excellent glide, and a good scent, although a bit "synthetic".
The soap, allied with the smoothness of the Personnas and the efficacy of the Mühle razor, delivered an excellent shave, and a BBS!
No need to grate the soap after all; although being a triple-milled soap, I just had to puuuuush it a liiiitle haaaard to squeeze it into the container! :lol:

P1030466.jpg

Thursday

Merkur 38C
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Taylor's Sandalwood Cream
Alum
Nivea Cool Kick asb

Apart from shuddering whilst reading the name of the asb, a very nice shave indeed.

Ian

Thursday:

1965 Slim adjustable
Red Personna
Palmolive SS
Muhle brush
Bulldog balm

I've not yet settled on a favourite setting on my Slim. Having read how some guys get better results by dialling their adjustable down, I thought I'd try setting it on 3 today. Did my usual 3 pass shave and concluded that dialling down does not suit me, and ended up cranking it to 7 for a final pass to clear the remaining stubble.

I feel some ambivalence for adjustables - I love my Slim and think it's a great piece of engineering, yet I also wonder whether it creates too many variables compared to the simplicity of a fixed head. The journey continues...

Jos

How can I get things so wrong so quickly? Yesterday [Wednesday] half asleep, changed too many variables at once - blade, soap for cream, first use of alum block etc. Coupled with an attitude of "I've been DE shaving for two [ :!: ] whole weeks now, I know everything I need to know about it" :roll: , and certainly too much pressure with the razor = the mother of all razor burn, but a very very close shave :oops: :oops: . Some might even call it "flaying" rather than shaving. As the soreness lasted all day, it gave me plenty of time to contemplate my stupidity :(

Still, today [Thursday] - a chance to make amends, although I was slightly wary of getting anywhere near the razor.

Pre-shave:
shower, then facewash with aqueous cream

Shaving gear:
Men-u pure bristle brush
BS Macca Root Cream
Merkur 33
Astra Superior Platinum

Post-shave:
Alum block
Aqueous cream (again!)

While quoting the mantra "watch the angle and no pressure", I did 2 x WTG and a little XTG where it was rough to touch. Bingo! Certainly not BBS - BTW, does BBS = razor burn?? - but an acceptable shave, and comfortable. Hopefully, I've fallen off the " I know it all" curve, and I'm back on the learning curve again. At the very least, I have learnt some humility - well, until the next time!

Paul

MWF Hand Soap,
Sir Irisch Moos SS,
New Forest 2203,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Limes SF,
L'Occitan EdT.

SOTDMar3rd2011.jpg

A nice shave this morning.
Not a great shave but at this stage I'm happy with that because I too have learn t Paul's lesson.

There is such a thing as too close a shave!! We've all done it! :(

BBS (sometimes) = Burny Burny Shave!! :lol:

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
1958 Executive/Rotbart
Monsavon SS (really nice soap)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'Homme 'Sport' EdT

Very good shave this morning using the same set up as the last few days. This blade turned out to be quite good, and the soap Max sent is one of the better one's I've used.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Ever ready brush 002.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 61
Thursday, 03-03-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - Rooney 1/3 Silvertip - Merkur 37C Slant - Guillette Platinum #1 - Pre 3P - Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - Gel aftershave Jasön 6 in 1 + ASL aftershave Gravity.

Afeitado03-03-11-1.jpg

Thursday

whire proraso pre/post
NF 2201
MWF
Merkur HD + nacet (1)
Alum
Form 31 lime A/s
Proraso ASB

result: smooth, but irritated. Dont think these blades are for me.

La Toja Manantiales shaving soap + TOBS Avocado shaving cream
Semogue Barrel 2 band badger brush
Gebr. Weyersberg "Corneta" 15/16'' straight razor
444 aftershave balm

sam0610t.jpg

Loccitane Face Wash
NF2221
T and H West Indian Limes Cream
5/8 Straight(a shot of this from Tazz)
Slim Adjustable
Loccitane Face Splash
Fitjar Mint ASB

This was my first try at shaving with a straight Tazz kindly sent me one to try.Managed to shave my face ok with 2 slight nicks but just couldn't manage my neck so out came the slim to do my neck.
i have been told not to run before i can walk with the straights but enjoyed my first experience.
More practice is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom