Shave of the day W/C Saturday 25 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Wednesday

N_Architect said:
do all W&Bs have no jings on top and bottom of the tang? or is this just my extrapolation after seeing this one today (in Mikael's shot) and knowing from the couple of W&Bs I have (who happen to be the same, i.e. w/o jings)?

Now you come to mention it, mine's jimpless too. I know you like them Konstantinos, but their absence isn't necessarily so much of a problem surprisingly enough, unless your hands are covered in lather.

Mikael: where did you get the hair from this time? ;)

GB Kent T4
DR Harris Arlington
Filarmonica 13, black scales
Roger et Gallet L'Homme
Creed Aventus

First formal day with the Creed. Very well blended scent. Fruit and the pineapple especially dry down into a very woody oakmoss, even ash-like base. Can see myself liking this one a lot.

Attachments

• DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2
Mr Foo said:
IanM said:

Umm, I don't like to point this out
, but your photograph doesn't actually match your SOTD. I know there are not rules regarding that, and it is a nice picture, but I thought the idea was.....
Ian

Nevertheless you still felt the need to .................

A simple pm would have sufficed and would have been far more courteous.

I did say it was a nice picture.

Ian

Henckels Friodur 17 1/2, Semogue caravela, Nanny's the spicy 1, alum, Aubrey organics spice island ASL, Parfums de Nicolai cedrat cologne

P6293790.jpg

Wednesday

5/8 asymmetric grind unknown razor*
Palmolive Classic cream
Kent BK4
Gillette Series AS Balm
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal AS

*this was a 'clunker' I bought or pennies on eBay some time ago; it was badly rusted & pitted and was a wedge on one side and hollow-ground on the other. The end of one of the scales is missing. I've been using it as my guinea-pig razor - it has been repeatedly blunted and honed, and was used to practice my Dremel skills and hand-sanding on. It's very shiny now despite the pitting scars, so I decided to hone it back up and use it to shave with. Damn but it took a sharp edge and I have a small cut on my cheek to prove it! I've no idea of the maker's name because it's been erased by the pitting, but it looks very similar to another badly-pitted old Joseph Rogers that I've just finished restoring. It's been such a trusting old thing letting me use & abuse it for so long, so it's now going back into use & I'll rescale it in some lovely new scales at some stage.

Wednesday Night:

• - Minora OC 3-Piece, all metal razor
    - Gillette Minora Platinums
    - Nanny's Ice & a Slice cre-oap
    - Semogue Owners' Club Boar in Cherry-wood
    - MICAlum stick
    - Thayers' Medicated Super witch hazel
    - Royall Lyme ASL

Lagaffe: what you have is a microtome or sectioning razor, used by pathologists etc to prepare specimens for microscope slides. Full marks for shaving with it! There isn't much accepted wisdom about these, but the few who use them tend to tape the wedge side heavily (like 4 layers) to tame the edge a bit. Most often they are stainless by the way. A search on SRP will turn up some very interesting kamisori style hybrids made from old microtomes.

Wednesday Night

Allen & Son 6/8, Vulfix English Rose Cream, NF 2213, Alum, Blue Stratos AS
302xu37.jpg

This razor was my experimental learning tool, bough to learn honing and never really was quite as sharp as I like. I found that I could get other razors sharper with my coticule, but I have a fondness for this thing and just keep going at it! My ongoing experimentation with using the Dragon Tongue hone as a finisher with oil has again yielded a brisker sharper edge. Sooner or later I'm going to have to polish and clean this one properly!​

Arrowhead said:
Lagaffe: what you have is a microtome or sectioning razor, used by pathologists etc to prepare specimens for microscope slides. Full marks for shaving with it! There isn't much accepted wisdom about these, but the few who use them tend to tape the wedge side heavily (like 4 layers) to tame the edge a bit. Most often they are stainless by the way. A search on SRP will turn up some very interesting kamisori style hybrids made from old microtomes.

:icon_eek: Is that designed to scare a man, telling him his razor has been used to cut up dead bodies.

Thursday:
Gillette bar handle NEW Deluxe
NOS Gillette Bleue extra blade
No name boar brush
LaToya shaving stick
Weleda ASB
Gave me one of the best BBS ever, could be the LaToya as this was new to me.

Thursday Morning:

Sponge and MWF prep
Nanny's Citrus Zinger
Semogue 1305
Gillette Aristocrat
Derby Extra
Trumper Lime Skin Food
Prof B Coconut AS

I'd give this a 7 out of 10.

First ever go with the Aristo, and I guess it'll take my skin a bit to get used to it hence I've got a bit of tightening afterwards but the shave itself was excellent.

Compared with my 38C the Aristo felt like it wasn't cutting but it really did give an excellent shave.

I think I'm starting to realise the limitations of the Derby blade though. Need to buy a Connaught sampler shortly I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom