Shave of the day W/C Saturday 25 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday 28th am:

Merkur 34G HD
Merkur Sample Blade (Red Personna will be next)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
Tabac Original Soap
Nivea ASB

Preparation:
Hot water applied using the brush.

Shave:
Only two downward passes WTG.

Finish:
Lots of cold water, again applied using the brush.
Nivea ASB applied

A faultless shave.

20110417.JPG

Tuesday

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest, w high mountain badger hair
Razor: E A Berg, Bergs special
Cream: Salter, Indian Sandalwood
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
009800x514.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
bar handle-Stahly frankenrazor/Feather
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation tallow version)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
St Johns Bay Rum cologne

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Bar handle-Stahly combo 002 (Small).jpg
    Bar handle-Stahly combo 002 (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
Razor:José Monserrat Pou 14 "Medallón Taurino" Estocada
Strop: Pressed wool+latigo (25/50)
Brush:Semogue 1305
lather:Dr. Selby + lavanda de Ach. Brito
AS: Eau de Cologne Lavanda de Ac. Brito
EdT:Czech&Speake, Oxford&Cambridge
Comments:Lavender day, started to cut some fresh lavender, as shown in the pic...I have no other options for this shave....then I have played with some of my better lavender friends, the Dr. Selby and Lavanda creams, that have given a nice and thick lather with the addition of the lavender scent. The "maestro" José Monserrat Pou was invited to the party, this razor has no mercy with my beard, and the shave was finished with a nice BBS, as smooth as I've used EdC as aftershave without matters. To finish some of the lavendish scents that I konw, the Czech&Speake Oxford&Cambridge EdT . Enjoy your day .
Picture:
lavanda.jpg

TUESDAY Shave (No smilie!)
Razor: Gillette (U.S) Ball End
Blade: 7 o'clock (Green)
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
Soap: Erasmic Cream
A/S: Barbershop Bay Rum
Same as yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday

Muhle R41/ Yellow 7 o'Clock (2)
Thater
Wilkinson Sword stick
Nivea asb

WS stick = excellent, thick, creamy tallowy lather. Nice scent. Wish is was widely available on the high st. I reckon it would get more love than Palmolive.

Tuesday

Neo Custom 2 band
Trumpers Coconut cream
Merkur HD + Shark SC (3)
Alum
Natural Limes A/S
Natural Limes Balm

a good shave - a little tingle from the alum, very smooth, but a bit of irritation on one side - I think it was there before the shave, but shaving made it worse:icon_cry2:

Monday - did not shave

Tuesday

5/8 Friedrich Herder Abr. Sohn '78'
Omega cream
Kent BK4
Gillette Series Intense Cooling Balm
Floid Blue

Hot shower
New Forest T2
T&H #10
Jagger DE89
Gillette 7OC Yellow (1)
styptic, skin food, nivea ASB

This was going great - I love the T&H, the Jagger and the 7OCY were working well (first time on a non-Boots blade), and after 2 passes I was really comfortable and cleaner than I've ever been after two passes. The last line w/styptic and two balms gives away the twist ending, though. Stupid boy.

I seem to be a bit pimply at the moment, and I've irritated quite a few of them today. I wonder if that's from the face lathering - didn't have any before I went on this face lathering kick, though that could easily be coincidence.

Good morning boys.

Eskilstuna 5/8 : Semogue 1305 : C&E Sienna : Santa Maria Novella : Prada

R0012420.jpg

Not bad, only difficulty now for me is the chin, should become better at it as time goes by. Will use only two or maximum three straight razors from now on, as per Mikael's advice, in order to improve the technique solidly.

Edit:
Mikael asked me about the rosary shown in the picture. So I thought I should give a short text on this.

When you hold a rosary (i.e. a komboloi), remember that you play with the sorrows and not sorrows with you. The rosary is an ancient antidote for stress. Etymologically, there are two interpretations of the word "rosary" (komboloi).

The first one is that rosary is what we call in Greece komboloi, i.e. kombo-loi. It comes from the words "κομπο-λέω" (kombo-leo), i.e. kombos and leo (κόμπος & λέω). Kombos (κόμπος) means knot, leo (λέω) means "I say". Therefore each knot that you move on with your finger when you hold the rosary counts and for that knot you say a prayer or a thought or whatever (kombo-loi, knot-say, i.e. rosary).

The second one is that according to an ancient interpretation, knot means "bang" and the ending-sequence (i.e. the "loi") means the same things as above, i.e. whatever comes after the "bang", i.e. the symbolic count of each knot in the komboloi. That may be a mourning, lament, or something else. Next knot you pass on with your finger (as you hold the komboloi), one more mourning in your mind, etc. The rosary has historically also been used for prayers...

Dr Rick said:
I seem to be a bit pimply at the moment, and I've irritated quite a few of them today. I wonder if that's from the face lathering - didn't have any before I went on this face lathering kick, though that could easily be coincidence.

One of the arguments against face lathering is exactly this: that the shave cream or soap, when placed directly on your skin, may interact and create reaction. In your case, you need to check this out as there is perhaps sufficient evidence to raise suspicions on something like this happening.

Give your skin a quick rest, stick to one soap/cream and go back to bowl lathering, then observe what changes may come into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom