Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 21st Aug 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
hunnymonster said:
Change one variable at a time... that reads like new blade, new cream at least...

If you only change one thing and it goes pear-shaped, you know what made the difference. Change two things and either could have done it (or the combo).
Yeah, I was sorta feeling adventurous, getting a bit over confident in my shaving abilities. It's like when you're a kid, you know it's wrong to see if you can do something, but you just want to see if you can wing it.. well, you can't, ok? :p (or at least I can't)

FB.

Wednesday Night:

• - Gillette Adjustable (H3 - Slim)
    - Shark Super Stainless
    - Mama Bear's Caribbean
    - Le Tuft Cobalt Blue superBadger
    - Thayers' Lemon Witch Hazel
    - Boots Bay Rum[/list:u]

... and now, on to my first attempt to change one of these pus-filled new-fangled dressings, before I start washing the dinner dishes, which I should do before making my lunch for work tomorrow. Then maybe I can put me foot up for a wee while, and try to get some sleep in prior to the alarm going off at five AM to start me on my workday - oh joy.

Urban Hermit said:
... and now, on to my first attempt to change one of these pus-filled new-fangled dressings, before I start washing the dinner dishes, which I should do before making my lunch for work tomorrow. Then maybe I can put me foot up for a wee while, and try to get some sleep in prior to the alarm going off at five AM to start me on my workday - oh joy.

Might be an idea to reverse the order of play there.....what with the pus and all. :lol:

Tuesday

5/8 Texol No.5
Palmolive Classic cream
Simpsons Commodore X1
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
L'Oreal Men Expert 24hr Hydrating AS Balm
Body Shop Activist EDT

Wednesday

5/8 Air Brand
Cella soap
Simpsons Commodore X1
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Simple for Men AS balm
Pinaud Clubman AS lotion

I know there are some purists who will say I shouldn't be here...and in one way I agree. But I just want to say to PC - never in a month of Sundays; which is why I agree.
I'm orf now.

FrenchBlade said:
* - SHAVING FAIL -*

Gillette Adjustable
William Shave Cream (sensitive)*
Derby Blade (1)
Mennen ASC
ALUM ROCK

Ok I started off with trying to make a lather with the Williams cream, it looked a bit crap, but I thought, must just be different.. :roll:
Did half a pass, and knew this was wrong, so I chucked the stuff that was meant to pass for lather, and made a new batch, this time using TOBS Jermyn Street. (love this one!)
Re-lather my face, start again, cut myself, and again, decide to call it a day while I still have some of my epidermis attached to my face.
Use the Allum profusely all over my face, whack on some Mennen ASC, which I hadn't tried yet. Smelled nice ;)

Now 15min later, my skin feels really dry, like a pulling sensation, not sure if that's the ASC, or the lather, or whatever...

Anyways, so many factor led to this disaster, first the blade (first time with a derby), then the lather, then the ASC...

FB. (not a happy camper!) :?
I wonder if you have rinsed your face after apply the alum block and before the Mennen. If not you will have the pulling sensation you are talking about.

For me the alum block is a terrific shaving tool and a incredible deodorant. Indispensable. How to use properly in my opinion, off course:

- For shaving: After the shave and the cold water rinse, you have to wet the alum in cold water and apply gently the wet Alum all over the shaving area. I wait one minute, just to feel out? (grammar dude) the itch. Then wash your face twice with cold water, dry softly and apply your favorite After shave. Perfect.

-Like deodorant: Dry yours armpits, wet the alum in cold water and apply gently the wet Alum. Lets air-dry and apply your favorite deodorant or cologne. It's amazing; at the end of the day smell your shirt and you'll see.

Razor: Rolls Razor
Brush: Vie-Long 13052
Cream: C.O.Bigelow
ASB: C.O.Bigelow Red Elixir
Cologne: C.O.Bigelow Red Elixir

SPM_A2732.jpg

Shake 3x. 1min lather. 4 pass. Rework 1st pass only. Thin on 3rd pass. Rotating on face it's mop-like and not scrubby.

Slow Shaving said:
...I wonder if you have rinsed your face after apply the alum block and before the Mennen. If not you will have the pulling sensation you are talking about...
Fully agree. I follow the same routine Slow describes in his post, but one day last week I applied the alum and started washing the shaving brush, cleaning, etc. It took 4-5 minutes by the time my face was beginning to have a severe pulling sensation, as I had not yet rinsed off the alum. So not too quick but not too long (on the time you should be letting the alum work on your face).

N_Architect said:
Slow Shaving said:
...I wonder if you have rinsed your face after apply the alum block and before the Mennen. If not you will have the pulling sensation you are talking about...
Fully agree. I follow the same routine Slow describes in his post, but one day last week I applied the alum and started washing the shaving brush, cleaning, etc. It took 4-5 minutes by the time my face was beginning to have a severe pulling sensation, as I had not yet rinsed off the alum. So not too quick but not too long (on the time you should be letting the alum work on your face).
Now they tell me! GRRRR! Ok, live to learn right? Give that a try next time ;)

Thanks guys ;)

FB.

Thursday

Merkur 33c
Crystal (3)
NF 2201.25
Nanny's Yushu Soap

Brut AS

Bowl lathered again this morning - as I have each day with the NF - and it works a treat. The 33c is lighter to use but very comfortable and effective nonetheless.

A very nice shave indeed! Refreshing, smooth and feeling extremely clean.

Splendid.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom