Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 21st Aug 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 5 days growth to get rid off due to early starts, long days and a general apathetic mood :|, but the following combo got rid of it all nicely resulting in a decent shave with no irritation.

Tabac (Face lathered)
Duke 2 Best
Merkur HD
Thai Gillette Super Thin (2)
2 x WTG
Aqua Velva AS

Not sure about this brush, I find it a bit of a lather hog.

Thursday evening

"With all this chat about shaving sticks that cost a few pence and razors and brushes under a tenner I thought I'd" go the (kind of) 'budget' way. "So it's:" ( :lol: )

Art of Shaving Travel Silvertip
Palmolive stick
'Doctor-Plus' Indian alum
ToBS St. James after shave
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera (sample) after shave balm
Merkur '1904' replica ('42') [Connaught 'seconds']
and a Merkur blade

"Were they all worth it?" Of course yes - very good value for money.
"Did I enjoy the shave?" Absolute crap! [lifts nose up]

IMG_1044.jpg

(actually one of my closest shaves) :)

Wednesday Evening

Lord razor + Gillette Thai (2)
Fido Finest
Tabac soap
Old Spice White Water

Second use of the Lord DE.

My initial thought that its head resembled the Feather Portable was unfounded: on closer inspection it has a slimmer profile and is lighter. But, I find it shaves equally as close as the FP; certainly more aggressive than the Weishit, which I'm very thankful for (I've nicked myself a couple of times already).

It doesn't seems as solid as the Feather Portable, though its build is more than adequate and its appearance quite satisfying. All in all, I like it.

Fido said:
Were they all worth it? Of course not - complete waste of money.
Did I enjoy the shave? Absolute bliss!

8.jpg

¡¡¡My Good, it looks like a spanish treasure!!! ¿Total amount? Off course I'm joking, enjoy it. :lol:

Just to clarify, I hope I didn't get misunderstood in my SOTD - as Fido was going on an 'A grade' SOTD, I went kind of the other way, hence my SOTD text copying some of his words...

Shows how influenced we can be from some other threads...

Razor: Rolls Razor Imperial 2
Brush: Vie-Long 13052
Cream: C.O.Bigelow
ASB: C.O.Bigelow Green Elixir
Cologne: C.O.Bigelow Green Elixir

SPM_A2741.jpg

Shake 3x. 1min 40. 5 pass. Rework 1st. Thin on 3rd. No change. Mop-like. More suitable for to and fro stroke.

Friday:

EJ DE87 + Feather
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Czech & Speake #88 soap
Boots freshwood aftershave
Creed Green Irish Tweed EDT (sample, someone I know works at John Lewis')

Best razor / blade combination I've used, I think.

The soap was better, much better than the last time I used it. Easily as slippery (shiny) as Palmolive and just as easy to lather. D R Harris now seems a bit dry in comparison.

The Duke has been getting a run out lately and to be honest, it is a coin-toss between it and the Tulip at the moment.

Boots Freshwood, as good as it gets for the price.

Ah, Creed. I wore their Original Vetiver about 5 years ago and sampled loads more. I hate all the hype on other forums. Appart from one or two of their older scents (such as Cuir De Russie) everything else is very 'samey'.

Friday

An oldies/freebies day.

Gillette 1918 Single Ring, early 1900s badger, Yardley Soap - unopened gift from the early 60s (all these were gifts to me from an old friend a few months back)

Fact: had a pleasing shave. But struggled. The Single Ring needs a feather light touch and great care. I'm sure it would be fine if I used it regularly. Just like the brush. 19 mm knot/38mm loft would take some time to master, but it did the job today. At nearly 50, the Yardley is still going strong with no sign of deterioration.

Simpson Astor shown for comparison.

8-1.jpg

Friday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest w extra hair
Razor: Friodur 15/16
Soap: Nanny
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Result: Mr Clean :shave

Lovely brush, it´s a New Forest, but with some extra hair (a prototype). I really like it, even though the original is dense enough, this one feelt very nice to my face (more of a paint job than with the orginal hair blend). Thank you Peter!
47888d1282896724-themed-sotd-sun-august-22nd-sat-august-28th-snb13248.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom