Shave of the day W/C Oct 08/10/2011

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, he made me a cigar brush w black badger :D
Razor: Wade and Butcher
Super lather: Dr harris Almond + Arko
AS: Mennen SB
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Thank God, how nice was that after yesterdays mediocre shave! :D Mr Neep made me a cigar brush and I'm very happy about it, he got the band to be one with the handle (resine cover) and you can't feel it it if you stroke you finger over it. This black badger knot has serious amounts of back bone and reminds me of my old Semogue 2000 boar brush (but I needed to use that one often to keep getting good results, so it had to go - to many brushes :D). Also a pair of old Swedish barbers siccors in the pic today.
006800x710.jpg

... and of course, some of this, this morning:
007723x800.jpg

That's a lovely looking brush Mikael. What are the tips like on the black badger hair? Are they prickly? I sthe black badger hair similar to pure or best badger?

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1920 Big Fellow/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
SebaMed AS Balsam
Roger and Gallet L'Homme 'Sport' EdT

Third shave with this huge razor. Pretty interesting using this thing....reminds me of a Gillette on the #7 setting. I found a shallower angle than usual helps keep things comfortable, while still providing a closer than usual shave.

This one's gonna be sent to the UK soon for further 'testing' by another forum member. I believe he will find it amusing......

BBS results,

Martin

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
La Toja stick, face lathered with
New Forest High Mountain Badger.
Gillette Rocket, with
Astra SP (2)
Trumper's Coral skin food
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cologne.

A very good shave, if not quite as transcendent as the last few.

Tuesday 10-11-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Semogue 1305 - Merkur 37C Slant - Blue Bird #1 - Pre PREP - Cella shavig soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Floïd Suave.

Afeitado11-10-11001.jpg

Tuesday:

Merkur HD 34c
Perma-Sharp super
Neep custom Box wood silvertip
Trumper's Limes soap
Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood edt

A very enjoyable shave using some of the goodies that turned up yesterday. I LOVE this brush :icon_biggrin:

img4029b.jpg

MWF Hand Soap,
TOBS Sandalwood SC,
Simpson Duke 3,
Merkur Classic / Feather (?),
L'Occitane Alum Stone,
GFT Coral SF,
Lanvin L'Homme Sport EdT.

SOTDOct11th2011.jpg

Just recently invested in the TOBS and I must say I do like!

Yellow Jim said:
That's a lovely looking brush Mikael. What are the tips like on the black badger hair? Are they prickly? I sthe black badger hair similar to pure or best badger?

Cheers, Rod really surprised me with this one :D :D :D I would say it's more prickley, but I don't know much about pure badger. Not as prickely as boar, but close. I can see myself liking this brush, but I prefer Silvertip in general ... But I'm neither a one razor guy or a one brush guy :D

Simpson Duke 1
Tabac soap
#21 Aristocrat
7 o'clock yellow
Nivea ASB

I thought I'd give the 7 o'clocks another chance... bleh, mistake. Rough shave, left with irritation under my chin. I shan't buy any more of those blades.

After six great shaves with my R41, I decided this morning I wasn't awake enough for the R41, so I used my trusty Sheraton loaded with a perma-sharp super. Great shave, although initially it felt like I forgot to insert the blade. That's what a R41 can do :icon_wink:

Todays shave:
Gillette Sheraton
Perma-Sharp super
Semogue Caravela
Speick shave stick
Weleda ASB

Wednesday

Merkur 37C Slant
Feather Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Shaving Soap
Nivea asb

Same gear as yesterday, but I did things a little differently.

I did an ATG pass on face and neck, then did a WTG pass on the neck. The moustache area got a WTG and a XTG. Worked very well.

Ian

Mikael said:
Yellow Jim said:

Cheers, Rod really surprised me with this one :D :D :D I would say it's more prickley, but I don't know much about pure badger. Not as prickely as boar, but close. I can see myself liking this brush, but I prefer Silvertip in general ... But I'm neither a one razor guy or a one brush guy :D

I happen to like 'pure' grade a lot, actually. One of my favorite brushes, the Durance, is with this type of hair. Relatively inexpensive and terrific for face lathering. Yes, a bit on the prickly side but nothing too much really.

Back
Top Bottom