Shave of the day W/C Oct 08/10/2011

SUNDAY EVENING SHAVE

Have changed tack on my weekend shaving. Now use one of my 'death razors' on a Saturday, then on Sunday evening use a normal one (at the very least it'll mean less blood spots on my pillow which goes down a treat with my wife).

Fat handle Gillette New OC
Gillette Superthin (4)
Semogue OC 2 band
Nannys Yushu
Woodhead scuttle
Witch hazel
Trumper lime skin food

My latest acquisition from Fleabay. Has a bit more brassing than I would have liked given the amount I paid (which wasn't that much, but still).

But, the shave it delivers, oh blimey. The fat handle gives a wonderful feel and this is definitely my go to razor. I like them so much I own a French style one (in excellent condition), a fat handle one (shave condition) and have one on order from Bob's razor shack.

Couple that with the fantastic Semogue and this made for a very pleasant and close shave.

Jobsagoodun.

Nice simple shave tonight:

Music: Yes - Fragile

Hot shower prep with a hint of Clinique exfoliating face scrub
Vulfix 404A Bodger
Nanny's Silly Lime Soap
EJ de89 barley
Elios (2) - felt a bit scrapey, if you get my drift, didn't cause any nicks or weepers, I was however very aware of the blade.

two passes, minor touchups, quick alum block over the coupon

followed off with some Old Spice AS splash and Nivea sensitive balm

Another Acceptable Shave (AAS?:icon_razz:)

This is a rare thing for me, but I've used the same straight razor twice in a row. This Charlex lately has been my favorite and I've been reaching for it more than all other razors.

Proraso Aloe Vera & Green Tea shaving soap
Semogue 2 band badger brush
Charlex 60 straight razor
Proraso aftershave splash
444 aftershave balm

331dgld.jpg

Sunday evening

white proraso pre/post
Neo custom 2 band
MWF
EJ bull mastiff + GST (2 or 3?)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes, very smooth, minimal irritation. A very good shave considering my lather with my nugget of MWF wasnt brilliant.

EJ Chatsworth Barley razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade
Omega Syntex shaving brush (albino badger effect synthetic bristles)
Erasmic shaving cream - old Jordan formulation

I'm working on shave angle and technique. Pretty good shave, found a way round the lather going cold for the second pass - just paste back into the bowl and restir, to rewarm.

Monday

Lord LP6
Astra SP [5}
Omega 10005
Kent S/S
Gillette A/B
Boots FreshWood A/S

Overslept this morning, so needed a quick shave, the LP6 is forgiving in that way, I think the SP is on the way out [not bad thou 5 shaves with wire wool as whiskers], a nice shave with just a hint of tugging.

ttfn

T

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Semogue SOC two band
Razors: E A Berg + J A Hellberg
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Ogallala Lime and peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Clean enough

Honed these two this morning and I was stupied enough to tighten the pins on the EAB and I was stupied enough not to get my small round hammer, to lazy for that and wham: the scales broke at one side of the tang :mad: My honing skills aren't the best either, so I got them sharp, but not sharp like I like them :( I'm sticking to hollow grinds for short while longer.
023800x771.jpg

...:
001800x653.jpg

Monday

Merkur 37C Slant
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Shaving Soap
L'Occitane ASB

Ian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1920 Big Fellow/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
SEbaMed AS Balsam
Roger and Gallet L'Homme 'Sport' EdT

Second time using the Big Fellow and man, it's an interesting razor. This long handle takes a little getting used to and the shaving angle takes some tweaking to keep things comfortable. Very close shave, just like you'd expect from an OC type.

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom