S.O.T.D Sat. 5th Oct. to Frid. 11th Oct.2013

Heh, I think it was actually a Med Prep I used, but the packaging is identical on the Lab Blues so I wasn't sure. But now I know that they're in a separate drawer.

A shim is an old blade with the sharp edges cut off, used to create a larger gap between the proper blade, thus making it more aggressive. Without the shim, I find the EJ isn't quite aggressive enough for me, but with one it's perfect. Let me find the link to shims, from the shave nook. It's where I first came across the concept.

SmallBeard said:
Heh, I think it was actually a Med Prep I used, but the packaging is identical on the Lab Blues so I wasn't sure. But now I know that they're in a separate drawer.

A shim is an old blade with the sharp edges cut off, used to create a larger gap between the proper blade, thus making it more aggressive. Without the shim, I find the EJ isn't quite aggressive enough for me, but with one it's perfect. Let me find the link to shims, from the shave nook. It's where I first came across the concept.

That was good English there...

It's a used blade with the edges cut off, positioned underneath the 'good' blade and above the base plate, which increases the aggressiveness by making the blade gap bigger.
Linky link here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-shim-a-razor

And I do like my WH post shave, it feels great on my skin. Sometimes I skip the AS, normally if I'm shaving at night like I did tonight, or slap some Astral or RSC balm on instead, but I'm loving the new acquisition a bit too much! Nearly got some Old Spice today too, but tightness of funds made the decision for me in the end. Still, gives me something to look forward to in the future, and it's worth it...

Henckels Friodur 5/8"
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle
Mitchell's Wool Fat, soap
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Eton College ASL
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a nice day!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-9-10-2013.JPG

Wednesday 9 Oct 2013

Good day,

Prep: Nivea face wash
Razor: Fat-handled Tech (slotted head)
Blade: Gillette Yellow (3)
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Some mild irritation on the jawline, but near-BBS.

Check ou the writing on the blades, Med's have "For Hospital Use" printed on the blade... For future reference in case you mix them up......
SmallBeard said:

SmallBeard said:

It's a used blade with the edges cut off, positioned underneath the 'good' blade and above the base plate, which increases the aggressiveness by making the blade gap bigger.
Linky link here:

And I do like my WH post shave, it feels great on my skin. Sometimes I skip the AS, normally if I'm shaving at night like I did tonight, or slap some Astral or RSC balm on instead, but I'm loving the new acquisition a bit too much! Nearly got some Old Spice today too, but tightness of funds made the decision for me in the end. Still, gives me something to look forward to in the future, and it's worth it...

Greetings

Wednesday 9th October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Star 1912
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: La Toja Balm

A fabulous shave from this razor in spite of it's brassy and well worn condition.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04716.JPG

Wednesday

LEA stick
NF Tubby 2
#15 Aristocrat
7 o'clock SharpEdge
DR Harris Windsor AS and EdT

Really quick shave this morning, just WTG and ATG. The #15 has enough bite to mean that the shave was more than acceptable anyway.

Tuesday Evening

Prep : Clinique face soap
Razor : Merkur Progress XL
Blade : Silver Star
Brush : Simpsons Chubby 2
Cream : Cyril Salter Mint
Post shave : Proraso AS

Nice shave again but think I got way too much cream on the Chubby, just dipped it and there was loads so may need to get a bit more tries in with the Salter cream as it went on too thick and probably still was even after several proper brush dips.

Second shave with the Silver Star and it started to irritate slightly on the third pass so it got binned afterwards, first shave was really smooth and nice but not sure this one will go to three shaves. Close shave though.

Hairsuite said:
Check ou the writing on the blades, Med's have "For Hospital Use" printed on the blade... For future reference in case you mix them up......
SmallBeard said:

SmallBeard said:

Linky link here:

Thanks Cyril, I'll check it out once I'm home. From what I've read there's no discernible difference in either's performance, it's just another coating?

SmallBeard said:
Hairsuite said:
SmallBeard said:

SmallBeard said:

Linky link here:

Thanks Cyril, I'll check it out once I'm home. From what I've read there's no discernible difference in either's performance, it's just another coating?

As far as I am led to believe the Med's are sterilised Labs hence the Hospital Use printed on the blades (and the price).

I have never noticed any difference shaving with either blade (both superb)

The Labs for me are a "Must Have" blade in the rotation........

Orion Kikuboshi half hollow 13/16
Kanayama cordovan # 8000
Rooney Heritage Stubby 2
Mondial bergamot & Neroli
Alum & Thayers rose & aloe toner
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Tom Ford black orchid Eau de parfum

volabra stick face lathered
simpson brush with a drop of skin food (just for a try)
Dovo 6/8
BBR scimitar
persona xtal plat (2)
nivia sensitive asb
pen's opus 1870

used the straight on the wtg pass, getting back in practice for movember. used the bbr xtg/atg. blade was nasty, just usuable. it was dodgy on first shave. i binned in once done. i'll still use the pack, but not get any more.
shave was ok in the end, quite a few weepers/pulls from the de.
the straight went well, considering i don't use it much. more practice required all the same.
steve

Wednesday 9th October

SOTD91013_zpse9278e25.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
TOBS Rose cream bowl lathered
Simpson Rover best badger brush
Gillette NEW long comb
Rainbow (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Myrsol F/extra aftershave

A most comfortable shave today. The Rainbow very smooth, but a 2 shaves and out blade. The cost is so small it's no problem. A different open comb and blade for tomorrows shave.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: MWF
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber POL
Blade: Astra (3)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Couple weepers today due to user error, but cold water soon took care of that. Otherwise a fine shave.

Back
Top Bottom