S.O.T.D Sat. 5th Oct. to Frid. 11th Oct.2013

THURSDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Beejay amber acrylic with TGN badger knot
Soap: Cella - face lathered

Good points about tonight. Had a nice cold bottle of Tyskie and the Feather is lovely to hold.

Bad points. Erm...........

What did I say the other week about beer (even just one) and shaving? Also had a bad reaction to the Cella tonight. Consequently I'm sat here with my face throbbing like a horny baboon's arse having used up about half a sodding styptic pencil.

Surely the Feather can't be more aggressive than the Kai can it?

tony4938 said:
Spotted this and thought of your love for menthol!

http://sharpologist.com/2013/10/mentholated-witch-hazel.html

Might give that a wee shot, too - sure there's some menthol crystals sitting in the bathroom cabinet doing very little! Good find, that man!

Jute Man said:
tony4938 said:

Might give that a wee shot, too - sure there's some menthol crystals sitting in the bathroom cabinet doing very little! Good find, that man!

... another idea: Olbas Oil!

Ingredients are essential oils: cajeput, eucalyptus, peppermint, juniper, wintergreen and clove. You get a strong peppermint and eucalyptus hit (something like 30% each) backed up with cajeput oil (around 20%) which is a close relative of tea tree; good for anti-infection and anti-inflammation. Clove and wintergreen are both soothing oils, albeit very low in concentration, as is juniper, an astringent.

I reckon 100ml bottle of Witch Hazel with 5-10 drops of that in and a touch of glycerin, job jobbed ... as you use it, top up with a capful of gin to boost the juniper astringency and help evaporation with the light alcohol.

To me, that's the perfect toner for a late evening shave. I'll put it together and let you folks know how it goes ...

If only I'd noticed this before buying pretty much all those essential oils individually. Typical. Well, at least I know the ratio now.

Friday 11th October

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Proraso- white tub
Razor: EJ head on templ8 handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2) with shim

IMG_1505_zpscb0d184f.jpg

Great shave. I didn't make a massive lather, just enough for the two passes, but it was a good lather still. The handle is massive, real heavy and takes some getting used to, but the weight of it really seemed to help, especially on my neck. Very happy indeed!

Jute Man said:
tony4938 said:

I'm actually experimenting with the same brew as we speak. Picked up some crystals on Tuesday and straight dropped a few in some WH. I didn't crush them down, maybe next time. I also added a few drops if Lemon Tea Tree essential oil. So far I'm pretty impressed. Most cooling with a lovely scent....

Jon

Greetings

Friday 11th October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather SE Stainless
Brush: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech
Soap: La Toja Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Super shave but I am really at a loss as to what to make of this brush, which arrived in the post yesterday. It is so much stiffer than I thought it would be and takes a huge amount of pressure to make the fibres splay.

I would describe myself as a rather heavy handed face latherer who is quite cruel to brushes but I made little impression on this knot. It is soft, very soft indeed and I do not dislike it but I think I will have to completely re think my approach with this brush.

Anyway it's early days and I will not pass judgement for a while yet. One feature of the brush that I am already quite sure about is that the large diameter of the handle is a bit thick for my medium sized hands; I accept the knot at 28mm is big but there still remains a lot of surplus plastic on the handle that for my taste could have been turned down a bit thinner.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04737.JPG

Friday:

RazoRock XXX
NF Tubby 2
iKon Slant/Weber Bulldog
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
TOBS Shaving Shop AS

Good shave, just a quick couple of passes but the result was more than acceptable.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: Nanny's Bergamot & Coriander
Brush: Golden Nib 2-band badger knot / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Razor: Weber POL
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Edt: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Worst lather I've managed since I began DE shaving! It looked OK in the bowl but simply disappeared once brushed on the face. Not sure if there was operator error involved so I will give the soap another try in a few days. Still managed a DFS, just not very enjoyable :(

This morning:

Palmolive Classic cream (I started with Balea Sensitive, but finally decided to throw that out of the window)
Omega 10019 boar brush
Gillette Rocket HD
Personna Platinum Chrome
Pitralon Classic

Balea may be inexpensive, but it also feels cheap (at least for me).

Back
Top Bottom