Shave cream: Kiss My Face unscented
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

Easy but excellent shave.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Made Rite #303 badger
'Webly'/Perma-Sharp
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Annick Goutal 'Eau d' Hadrien' EdT (lemony)

Yet another nice shave from this current production blade. Been enjoying this one, having never tried it before. Surprisingly good performance on my 5th or 6th shave.

Jeez, the Xpec is getting to be a habit. So odd to be using a cream this often. Figured out a great way to load my brush before face lathering. Heh, I believe I did end up liking the way it smells.......pretty sure anyway. I get mostly dirty rose and pepper notes, which is an interesting blend. One hell of a good performer in any case.

BBS results,

Martin

Today's shave

Feather artist club
Feather super blade
Kent BK4 Brush
NSS Down Home Summer shaving soap
Blue Stratos aftershave Splash
3 days beard destroyed nicely

Result BSS WTG

An enjoyable shave but for the small cut on the ear :dodgy:

Prep: Hot Splash
Pre: Proraso Pre shave creme
Soap: Arko
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Merkur Futur (6,5,5)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
AS: Boots freshwood AS Balm
EdT: Sex Pistols

Really good shave this morning, the futur is quickly becoming a favorite and even managing to get under the nose now! Think i've stumbled upon a nice mix with the freshwood and the sex pistols, smells great!!!

Wednesday evening ...

On the deck is The Cult 'Love' LP which I've been playing over and over this evening ( ..."and the sparkle in her eyes ... keeps me alive."). Classic album. Drink is Beck's ... my kitten loves the boxes. Honest.

IMG_3195.JPG

Tonight, I did things a little different ...

Hot towels.
No shaving oil - usually, Nuage Men for a nice menthol prep.
Merkur 23C for a mild shave to remove a single day's growth.
Personna 'Lab' ... second shave on this blade.
Fitjar Shea Pleasure Cream (in a pot).
Unbranded pure badger brush.
Brut aftershave.

Later ... Recipe for Men Moisturiser.

Last night, I ran the Personna 'Lab' through my new Progress and really liked it. I did get two nicks last night. Unsure as to whether it was the blade, the razor or technique, I ran the same blade through my 23C. No nicks at all - WTG, XTGx2 diagonally and ATG. Nice blade, but I have two others that I've tried so far that I would say I have really clicked with: PolSilver Super Iridium and SuperMax Blue Diamond.

The major depart this evening was away from a pre-shave oil. I also tried out a new cream: Fitjar Shea Pleasure, courtesy of Dobbo25. Thanks, pal.

Lovely lather!

IMG_3194.JPG

To be absolutely frank, I missed the pre-shave oil. I like that slickness that it brings, but it was good to try without. The new cream was lovely, but did feel a little "stingy" afterwards. Backstory: I've been using Ingram's so far ... and love the menthol, which might well mask that stinging. I did feel more moisturised, though. Nice shave.

Splash of Brut to finish ... it's the nearest aftershave I have to Beck's so it felt right.

Later, just a little bead of Recipe for Men Moisturiser. Anyone who suffers from dry skin after shaving, I can wholeheartedly recommend this. It's like you're not wearing anything ... on your face. No oiliness, no dryness; just right.

Cheers, all.

pjgh said:
Tonight, I did things a little different ...

Hot towels.
No shaving oil - usually, Nuage Men for a nice menthol prep.

Fitjar Shea Pleasure Cream (in a pot).

To be absolutely frank, I missed the pre-shave oil. I like that slickness that it brings, but it was good to try without. The new cream was lovely, but did feel a little "stingy" afterwards.

Hi there,

Not to drag you down the rabbit hole (good heavens no), but there's a few things to think about. By changing two variables at once it's tough to figure out exactly the reason for that lack of slip. Might be the lack of that oil or maybe it's the product that isn't slick enough. Or, maybe the lather is off and will improve after some tweaking. That will often happen with me trying a new soap/cream. I certainly don't always nail it the first time, even though the lather may look good.

So there you go. Bon voyage (said in my best Bugs Bunny voice and pronounced "voy-ah-gee")

Martin

'aye. I know ... one variable at a time ... I'll figure it out despite my impetuousness. I'm not at all scientific - I just go with what feels right at the time ... or forget to do, or bring in on the spur of the moment. Much like how I cook. So, I have reasonable consistency ... wildman ... and next, we'll tone that back.

Still, cracking shave ... close ... BBS on my jawline under my sideburns, so that's nailed now, DFS over most (even with the mild razor) and PGS on my chin and extremes of top lip. PGS is "pretty good shave". Acceptable, looks like the rest, but can feel a difference. Tomorrow morning, it'll all feel the same. No redness, blotchiness and no nicks. Good shave.

Thanks for the thoughts, pal.

In all, perhaps a little disappointed in the blade - I really wanted to like the Personna 'Labs'. Still, favourite blade to date, the SuperMax Blue Diamond states "Swedish Steel" and that is good enough for me as a long time SAAB pilot :D

Four Classic SAAB 900s and now flying a 9-5 Aero, MY2000 vintage. The Mrs has a Classic 900 Convertible.

Again, thank you ... much appreciated.

pjgh said:
In all, perhaps a little disappointed in the blade - I really wanted to like the Personna 'Labs'. Still, favourite blade to date, the SuperMax Blue Diamond states "Swedish Steel" and that is good enough for me as a long time SAAB pilot :D

The Blue Diamonds are great blades for me also. They have the right balance between sharpness and smoothness, and always give me a good shave. Best part of all is they're so cheap!

Back
Top Bottom