SOTD w/c Sat 25th Feb- Fri 2nd Mar. incl.

Tuesday
Proraso Pre/Post
Proraso Foam, Green
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Alcolado Glacial
Proraso Pre/Post
Puig Quorum EDT

Prep: Hot Shower and a few drops of baby oil on my beard
Razor: Shark Super Chrome (1)
Soap: Arko (Bowl-lathered)
Brush: Omega Pure Bristle
Balm: Prof Blighty's ASB
Result: A bit more sensitive than normal but Blighty's cream took the edge off it.

I'm still going through my sample pack and decided on the Shark's today. I wasn't that impressed if I'm honest. Definitely more tugging than with the Astra, Feather and perhaps even the Derby's. I gave it my usual 3-pass going WTG/XTG/XTG with a few touch up's here and there and it still felt fairly rough. I didn't go any further as I'd already felt some irritation due to the tugging with the blades.

I'll give the blade another run tomorrow to see how it goes, then maybe move on to another brand.

Tainted said:
Prep: Hot Shower and a few drops of baby oil on my beard
Razor: Shark Super Chrome (1)
Soap: Arko (Bowl-lathered)
Brush: Omega Pure Bristle
Balm: Prof Blighty's ASB
Result: A bit more sensitive than normal but Blighty's cream took the edge off it.

I'm still going through my sample pack and decided on the Shark's today. I wasn't that impressed if I'm honest. Definitely more tugging than with the Astra, Feather and perhaps even the Derby's. I gave it my usual 3-pass going WTG/XTG/XTG with a few touch up's here and there and it still felt fairly rough. I didn't go any further as I'd already felt some irritation due to the tugging with the blades.

I'll give the blade another run tomorrow to see how it goes, then maybe move on to another brand.

Keep on plugging away with the samples; you will eventually come to know the blade that suits. I have now settled with the Feather, Yellow, Green and Blue 7O'Clocks. I prefer an irritation and burn free shave, than to a BBS, as you will have to do the same procedure again tomorrow!! As they say in my Job error on the side of caution!

Jim

Merkur 38B
Big Ben (3)
GFT Sandalwood
Kent BK4
GFT Sandalwood
Boss Bottled EDT

That's the end of the Trumpers Sandalwood sample - not one of my favourites so can't see it being acquired again. Interestingly, I quite like the Sandalwood Skin Food when first applied, but during the day at work, I kept getting a waft of it and found it a little sickly and cloying eventually.

IMAG0213.jpg

These vintage Personna blades had more drag than Danny La Rue in a parachute

Wednesday

Gillette Tech (Gold Plated)
Iridium Super Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

I've not used a Tech for a while. Nice shave and very good result.

Ian

Wednesday:

Hot shower
Proraso pre/post
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Gillette Aristocrat Jr
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (1)
Alum & Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman
Nivea ASB

3 passes and a bit of touch up, BBS results from this great little razor with my favourite blade and with my favourite soap...good stuff!

Wednesday:

Hot shower
Vergulde Hand shave stick with Omega pro 49 as prep lather
Klar Kabinett with Omega 40652
Restored Kropp straight
Thayers Rose Petal
ARKO Sport a/s cream

Two passes with touch up, nice shave.

Well! That was a memorably rubbish shave! I'm blaming The Art Of Shaving pre-shave oil - very viscous and, well, oily - which I used for the first time, but there were too many variables to be able to pin-point the culprit. A brand new 1305 boar hair brush, first time with Wool Fat soap.

Couldn't get a lather from Wool Fat!! Eventually succeeded but only by over-hydrating. Tried re-loading the brush after the 2nd Pass then forgot and did another 2nd Pass and then hacked around the worst bits to avoid doing a 4th Pass - and finished with weepers and a stinging face.

An uncomfortable shave and I am thoroughly out of sorts because of it.

Lessons learned: 1. Do not start shaving until I have a good lather abundantly available. 2. As I've found a good pre-shave oil that works for me (T&H), stick with it and stop fannying about looking for a cheaper alternative.

On the other hand, with more time and less anxiety, Wool Fat soap lathered abundantly and slickly as you'd expect of a lanolin soap, using the same 1305 Boar brush and I even poured some of the blamed Art of Shaving pre-shave oil into the lather bowl and the lather just ate it up without blinking. Might try using such a mix tomorrow to see if it makes a slicker lather.

Lesson learned: Be cool, it takes time. A meditative state makes for closer, smoother shaves.

Botanics Face Wash Gel
Razor Max Otte 6/8 High Grade
Brush Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super
Mitchells Woolfat
Alum + Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
Botanics Moisturiser SPF 15
L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eau De Parfum

Jamie.

This razor as such a fine blade and takes a sweet edge, two days growth wiped out in a two pass shave, very smooth with no irratation you know that because there's very little feedback from the Alum, out of my vintage razors this ones quickly becoming my favourite.

004-1.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

Got 350 of them blades a tube of that shaving cream and a shavette (that went straight in the bin that shavette) for £13 yes £13 thats 2.7 pence a blade and guess what, there brilliant too :icon_biggrin:, the shaving cream is as good as Palmolive so that's getting used.

Them blades even if there one use only and thrown there a bargain but having had a 3 pass shave with one today and the way it performed on the 3rd pass it will definitely do another 3 passer, so there a brilliant bargain.

Rice bowl for lather
SuperMax shaving cream (free as well) not bad at all.
Merkur 34c HD
EJ badger brush
SuperMax Titanium blade (1) smooth and sharp, bangin :icon_cheesygrin:
Sanex asb
TOBS victorian lime cologne.
The best shave i have had by a de for ages, no nicks,cuts or weepers smooth as silk.

Wednesday

Thought I'd give the Ikon Classic a try again today, didn't have much success last time as a bit too aggressive for what I was used to.

Pre: Hot Towels
Cream: T&H West Indian Limes
Brush: New Forest Super Badger
Razor: Ikon Classic
Blade: Feather (1)
Balm: T&H West Indian Limes
Cologne: T&H West Indian Limes

The razor again today felt very aggressive, I am used to a Merkur Futur set on 2. Because it felt aggressive I was very careful though, the result of this has been a superbly good shave, much closer than normal. It did a much better job of my neck area as well.

The first time I used this razor I didn't like it, but it was much better today. I think it will grow on me. :)

29FEB2012.jpg

Merkur 38B
Lord SS (1)
TOBS Lemon and Lime
Kent BK4
GFT Lime Skin Food
TOBS Jermyn Street Cologne

If I'm honest, not the best shave ever. I've suggested previously that some of these Lord blades are actually quite under rated, but this one seemed to drag a bit. I think I'm getting to the point where it might be best to PIF all the random blades I have acquired that I don't expect to re-order in the future. Life is too short and I may as well just stick to the Feathers, 7 O'Clocks, Polsilvers and Astras, as these are the blades that I have found consistent in performance so far on my DE shaving quest.

Back
Top Bottom