SOTD w/c Sat 25th Feb- Fri 2nd Mar. incl.

Friday
Monsavon
Semogue 830
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Alcolado Glacial
Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet EDT

Second shave with Monsavon. No real 'lather' to speak of but enough to provide sufficient glide for the razor which has now seen almost daily use for TWO MONTHS.

Another favourite returns in the form of Hammam Bouquet.

Friday

Muhle R41
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Cella
Clinique Post Shave Soother

I acquired the R41 from Chris (press) for a mate who fancies a go with one. It arrived yesterday, boxed and in lovely condition.

I couldn't resist.

Not the smoothest shave in the world, but great result and no blood. I didn't try my original one with the Shark blade. Maybe that's the key.

Ian

Running late this morning following a night out... in days gone by I would have skipped the shave, but I've become used to being clean shaven in the morning, so had my first non-DE, non-Brush shave since I started with a DE.

Shower
Clinique M Shave Aloe Gel
Gillette Sensor Excel Disposable
L'oréal Balm

Rubbish!! The razor felt weird in my hand. No heft and too long... I struggled to feel in control of it. Also, I only ever used one lathering in the past - so my against the grain pass was always virtually dry. At least today I took the time to stick more gel on in between passes, but it was still a really rough shave and I dread to think how quickly I would get through a canister of (£11) shave gel lathering in between passes.

The final result is fine, but my face feels much more tender than it does with a 'proper' shave. All in all, a useful experiment but I'm glad to know that the improvement isn't purely in my mind!!

Third disaster in a row!

All started out beautifully with a new New Forest silver tip and TOBS Eton College cream - superb thick, creamy, plentiful lather, liberally applied. I thought to try a newly aquired Indian black 7 o'clock in the Merkur I've been using for a few days, including the last two disastrous ones.

I could tell immediately my technique was way off - un-nerved by two bad shaves? - but I think these blades are unforgiving of a twitchy newbie, anyway. The blood wasn't copious but the stinging has taken an age to subside - quick check - as has the blotchiness.

So it's back to 30 Day Rule tackle - a mild EJ and Derby blades - while my face recovers. The Indian black 7 o''clock s have been returned to the safe store (a screw top jar) pending greater experience! Hm! A few Feathers I have will join them!

Experimental one.

Prep - quick wash with a shea soap bar, cold water;
Cream: Musgo Real applied brushless (1st pass), Proraso red canned foam (xtg and atg);
Merkur 37c slant
Proraso AS
Proraso Pre/Post to finish off.

BBS, very easy, fast and smooth (no irritation etc) - not as enjoyable though. But will surely do for emergencies.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Marshall Fields badger
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Kramperts Finest Bay Rum AS
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Third shave with this frankenrazor...the long handle has been conquered.

Man, this old blade is really sharp. I just barely touched my upper lip the wrong way and bingo...silly cut took 15 minutes to stop bleeding. Totally user error...sheesh.

BBS results,

Martin

L'Occitane Lavender soap
Razor The Iron Duke in Lignum Vitae Custom
Brush Le Tuft Le une Grande
Vito's Coconut & Almond
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
Botanics Moisturiser SPF 15
L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eau De Parfum

Jamie.

The Duke delivered one pass super smooth with minor touch up.

001-3.jpg

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (8)
Soap: Pre de Provence
Brush: New Forest High Mountain Badger
Balm: Bulldog
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood
Result: lovely again.

I'll have a shave-free weekend to help the healing along, I rather think.

Prep: Not so warm shower
Brush: Neep, 28 mm in a Soapstone handle from Kenya
Razor: C V Heljestrand in custom made horn scales with silver inlays, by Neil Miller
Soap: Nanny French Lavender
AS/edt: Paco Rabanne, Ultraviolet
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uber clean :D

Two days stubble wiped away with ease by this lovely razor :) :)
002800x507.jpg

Friday

TOBS Lemon & Lime
Neep Guinness Silver Tip
Progress
Yellow 7 o'Clock
Lucky Tiger
Acqua Di Parma Intensa

First outing of the Progress, purchased from Vinny via BST. WOW they are good, It's taken ten razors but I think I have found the one !!!!!

Friday 2 March

Merkur 38B
Lord SS (2)
TOBS Lemon and Lime
Kent BK4
GFT Lime Skin Food
Boss Bottled

Actually a better shave with the second use of the Lord blade than the first, a theory I have seen on here but yet to be totally convinced. I may start believing this one.

Gillette Tech fat handle (gold) with blue 7 oclock Super Platinum blade (2nd shave)
Tobs rose cream

Not very good. Second shave with this type of blade ever and these are definitely a one shave blade for me. Stopped after second pass (no touch ups) as could feel i would be sore, and I am anyway.
Still, bad shaves make me appreciate the good ones that much more.

Back
Top Bottom