SOTD w/c Sat 24Mar - Fri 30 Mar...

Today, an iberian shave!

2irqic1.jpg

Myrurgia stick soap + Semogue 1335 + Rotbart 15 with Polsilver + Thayers Lavander "alum" + La Toja "Manantiales" lotion and balm

A good and quick shave, although Polsilver blade was a bit irritating... Here you can see the best spanish soap stick ever made (IMHO of course): Myrurgia soap. It does foam at least as good as La Toja stick but with even better scent (more soapy, barber like) and without its problems because marine salts like dryenesss and itchyness. Unfortunately, it was discontinued many years ago and today is really difficult to find, so I only use it once or twice a month. In the other hand, I love "La Toja" aftershaves scent, hehe

By the way, this small Semogue is one of the best cheap brushes you can find for facelathering: firm but with soft tips and make foam very quickly. And it costs almost half than a 1305 (which is already cheap!)

Cheers!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields two band
Gem 1912 Damaskeene/Gem
IK SS
Malizia Vetyver AS
Makizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Good but not great shave today. Yeah, gave myself a few small weepers that stopped bleeding after a couple minutes....pushing the envelope a little too much I guess.

Left me with a smooth face, but the overall shaving comfort isn't what I like so far. Still need a bit of SE technique tweaking I guess. We'll see how this works out down the road.

BBS results,

Martin

Monday

White proraso pre post ( old formula)
NF silvertip
Proraso green soap ( old formula)
EJ bull mastiff + Shark SC (1)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB ( old formula)

result: 2passes, very very nice. HAvent used the SC blades in a while, forgot how nice and smooth they are.

Do I think about getting some old foumula proraso stuff, or just go for the new stuff and hope for the best...? Almost out of the ASB so I think that deciion has been made for me!!

Only a tidy up today as had such a good one yesterday...

Sunday:
Had growth from Thursday morning (worked from home Friday and wife away for weekend!) so had a leisurely shower with plenty of hot water on the beard.
Used plenty of the Palmolive stick and a well-soaked Wilkie bristle brush and got a huge lather from it.

I still had the AstraSP blade in the Goodwill that I bought recently, and it only had one shave on it, so left it in there. It resulted in the best shave I have had in years - total BBS with three passes and close enough that there was barely anything to shave on Monday!

Finished off with my normal Flint a/s balm.

Preparation: Nivea Face Wash
Cream: A mix of St. James of London / Erasmic 'not so improved'
Blade: Astra stainless - blue pack
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley
Brush: Edwin Jagger synthetic
Post shave balm: Lush 'Cosmetic Lad'.

I got a few sample pots from Lush a month ago, and have just started their 'Cosmetic Lad' balm. It has a caramel like aroma, and I like it.

I wasn't too impressed with the Astra blade though, good for the first 2 shaves, then not so good for the last 2.

I'm nearly at the end of the mix. What I did was mix together the last few blobs of St James of London, with Erasmic 'new improved', to make a different cream, and this has lasted for weeks now.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, Masur Birtch handle
Razor: C V Heljestrand (this blade's all you really need, fantastic shaver)
Cream: Fitjar, Neroli (love the scent)
AS: Lavanada
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

014800x665.jpg

ajc347 said:
Ikon021.jpg

Simpsons PJ 2 in Super
Ikon OSS (on loan from Dipesh - thanks mate :) )
Monsavon Soap (again from Dipesh)
Feather Blade
T&H ASB

Always a pleasure mate. Looks like a great shave, even if I do say so myself!

merkur HD
gillette 7 o'clock yellow
shavemac #25 silvertip
TOBS mr taylors shave cream
444/ pinaud classic vanilla AS

very nice close, comfortable shave. first time ive used mr taylors and the classic vanilla together, they seem to compliment each other very nicely.

MONDAY EVENING

Gillette 'Black Beauty' set to 5 (birth year razor)
Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Body Shop Maca Root cream (scuttle lathered)
Beejay amber acrylic
Witch hazel
Boots Freshwood balm

Slight nick on the mouth but otherwise very nice. Put a bit too much cream in the scuttle, but better to have too much rather than too little.

Another cracking shave courtesy of the black beauty!

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (13)
Cream: Taylor's Lemon and Lime
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Balm: Trumper's Skin Food, West Indian Limes
Scent: Trumper's GFT
Result: lovely.

Now I remember why this was the "reference cream" with which I always used to try out new razors and brushes. So good.

Back
Top Bottom