SOTD: Saturday 8 July - Friday 14 July 2023.

It's Shark Week in another forum I'm in, so I'm playing along, even though I don't particularly like most Shark blades. This is a Shark Platinum in my Gillette Slim. It shaved is about the best I can say for it. I'm trying a Shark Chrome tomorrow in my Maggard Slant, so keep me in your thoughts.

The soap container is a slight misdirection. That tin actually contains (3) Stirling samples mixed together. Iced Pineapple, Coconut Lime, and Bay Rum. It is a pleasant little mashup. a fruity Bay Rum with a touch of menthol.

12/7/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Arko Stick
Brush - Yaqi Mew Brown 24mm
Razor - Gillette Slim Twist
Blade - Gillette Nacet Old (6)
Post - Lea 0%
AS - Brut Original

I think I worked the cause of the post shave burn, I think it might well be the Lea 0%. Which is a bit strange as I used it a number of times without much bother, less burn for today's shave than yesterday's.

I'm liking the Slim Twist.

@Satanfriendly, to echo Brian's words I think we've all had a significant meltdown and we all have our ways of trying to get out of it. Good luck with trying to find your way back. For now anyway Uncle Donnie gives you permission to buy a new tub of shaving soap and some blades.

Preshave - Hot Soak
Razor - Fatip Piccolo (OC)
Blade - Shark SS
Brush - TSC Best Badger
Lather - Pears Transparent Soap
Splash - Tabac

Very simple shave using the Pears as a shave soap. I use it like a shaving stick and rub it on my face before lathering. Not luxurious, but it's left me smooth and comfortable.

Tried Nanny's Veritas Vincet Lime today ( @SoapAlchemist ) and it's an excellent soap. An easy, rich Lather which hasn't left the skin dry or irritated it. A little product goes a long way. The lime smell is just right. Doesn't smell like there's anything else lurking away in there and it's not too weak nor overpowering.

I left it about half hour before putting the aftershave gel on to judge the after effects of the soap.

The blade is one I've had an unopened pack of for a few years but never got round to reviewing on the spreadsheet. Had to work hard to get a close shave with the Diamond Pro. In the end it's a little patchy. Not a blade worth me stocking up on.

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Diamond Pro Excel
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Nanny's Silly Soap Veritas Vincet - Lime
Aftershave: Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Shop https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/64aee0b97561cd6e4045f327

Wednesday 12th July

Haslinger Honig Shaving Soap & Razorock 400 Butterscotch Plissoft Noir 24mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Statum Platinum Chrome (2)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion

You know when you have a couple of (or even a few) razors of the same type, somehow one seems to stand out. Well, this R94 somehow delivers a tick above the other (identical?) Muhle Rocca razors that I have. It is overall slightly heavier than the other razors at 95g (compared to 85g for the black handle and 80g for the birch) and so I wonder if that makes the difference ... it'll be in the balance.

Absolutely superb 10/10 shave, that ... classy soap, good lather, classy razor, sterling blade and damn fine splash.

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander white synthetic brush.
Remembered to put it in the pic.
Soap Rougue
Razor Stainless Steel Mongoose.
Blade Proline
Aftershave Balm Nivea post shave balm.
This is shave number 2 with the Mongoose and I wanted to see how it would fair as an every day shaver.
I am going to be honest and say it was good but not BBS, I have put this down to still learning the razor, not enough stubble to shave close with and possibly me trying to adapt to the weight of the razor.
Remember I spent last month with light Techs and this month with the extremely light Tatara titanium.
So I have gone from one extreme to the other, there in lies I believe a lot of the problem with todays shave.
The Rouge is lovely and I didn't even bother with aftershave because it leaves a strong smell afterwards and the Highlander brush soon whipped a fine lather for my face.
Positive note, I have no cuts and the shave is perfectly acceptable for the day ahead.
I am still discovering the razor and pleased as punch with it.
Have a great evening everyone.

@Boycie83
@Johnny Bravo
@BrianH
@Blademonkey
@chard52142
@donnie_arko
@mpf9ret
@Digimonkey
@NotTheStig

Many thanks to you all for your kind words and thoughts which certainly helped me piece myself back together. Not saying I am completely there yet and I do wonder if I ever will be, but I am in a better place. To those who sent me a PM, I will get back to you and again so grateful for your concerns.

You're a sterling bunch and what makes this place the best corner of the Internet.

Sorry to hear. Self care is goal #1 and I hope you see better times.
Your delightful ramblings are a big reason I come here and I look forward everyday to see what you have been up to.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

SOTD: 12/07/2023

Razor: Yaqi Mellon Chrome
Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: Highlander Copper Colonel Plissoft Knot
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: A&E Vida Puck
Aftershave: A&E Vida Aftershave
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm

The original Vida is probably along with Seaforth Sea Spiced Lime my favourite original scent. A great lime based scent that lasts all day.

I’m sorry to hear of you have been struggling but glad to see you have managed to find your way back to ‘normality’.