SOTD: Saturday 8 July - Friday 14 July 2023.

8735FCE5-7401-4601-8B93-93A4D1C40CE7.JPG

It's Shark Week in another forum I'm in, so I'm playing along, even though I don't particularly like most Shark blades. This is a Shark Platinum in my Gillette Slim. It shaved is about the best I can say for it. I'm trying a Shark Chrome tomorrow in my Maggard Slant, so keep me in your thoughts.

The soap container is a slight misdirection. That tin actually contains (3) Stirling samples mixed together. Iced Pineapple, Coconut Lime, and Bay Rum. It is a pleasant little mashup. a fruity Bay Rum with a touch of menthol.

12/7/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Arko Stick
Brush - Yaqi Mew Brown 24mm
Razor - Gillette Slim Twist
Blade - Gillette Nacet Old (6)
Post - Lea 0%
AS - Brut Original

I think I worked the cause of the post shave burn, I think it might well be the Lea 0%. Which is a bit strange as I used it a number of times without much bother, less burn for today's shave than yesterday's.

I'm liking the Slim Twist.

@Satanfriendly, to echo Brian's words I think we've all had a significant meltdown and we all have our ways of trying to get out of it. Good luck with trying to find your way back. For now anyway Uncle Donnie gives you permission to buy a new tub of shaving soap and some blades.

IMG_20230712_120614.jpg

20230712_172522.jpg

Preshave - Hot Soak
Razor - Fatip Piccolo (OC)
Blade - Shark SS
Brush - TSC Best Badger
Lather - Pears Transparent Soap
Splash - Tabac

Very simple shave using the Pears as a shave soap. I use it like a shaving stick and rub it on my face before lathering. Not luxurious, but it's left me smooth and comfortable.

Tried Nanny's Veritas Vincet Lime today ( @SoapAlchemist ) and it's an excellent soap. An easy, rich Lather which hasn't left the skin dry or irritated it. A little product goes a long way. The lime smell is just right. Doesn't smell like there's anything else lurking away in there and it's not too weak nor overpowering.

I left it about half hour before putting the aftershave gel on to judge the after effects of the soap.

The blade is one I've had an unopened pack of for a few years but never got round to reviewing on the spreadsheet. Had to work hard to get a close shave with the Diamond Pro. In the end it's a little patchy. Not a blade worth me stocking up on.

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Diamond Pro Excel
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Nanny's Silly Soap Veritas Vincet - Lime
Aftershave: Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Shop https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/64aee0b97561cd6e4045f327

Wednesday 12th July

AIL4fc_52A1jISM-zxYiob9vwgst8L9GNB8Yih0iXPCl43ZjWwmT7tHS-eJ0AptrIAFsehe90SJZXvgx3kO10V8N1LGI_grdUReE1pymoJVZXJWHij3SsbJsb-k4HCuQQa4HVpJleAd3oMuU0sNmJUWcNZ3uMw=w800

Haslinger Honig Shaving Soap & Razorock 400 Butterscotch Plissoft Noir 24mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Statum Platinum Chrome (2)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion

You know when you have a couple of (or even a few) razors of the same type, somehow one seems to stand out. Well, this R94 somehow delivers a tick above the other (identical?) Muhle Rocca razors that I have. It is overall slightly heavier than the other razors at 95g (compared to 85g for the black handle and 80g for the birch) and so I wonder if that makes the difference ... it'll be in the balance.

Absolutely superb 10/10 shave, that ... classy soap, good lather, classy razor, sterling blade and damn fine splash.

20230712_200516.jpg
My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander white synthetic brush.
Remembered to put it in the pic.
Soap Rougue
Razor Stainless Steel Mongoose.
Blade Proline
Aftershave Balm Nivea post shave balm.
This is shave number 2 with the Mongoose and I wanted to see how it would fair as an every day shaver.
I am going to be honest and say it was good but not BBS, I have put this down to still learning the razor, not enough stubble to shave close with and possibly me trying to adapt to the weight of the razor.
Remember I spent last month with light Techs and this month with the extremely light Tatara titanium.
So I have gone from one extreme to the other, there in lies I believe a lot of the problem with todays shave.
The Rouge is lovely and I didn't even bother with aftershave because it leaves a strong smell afterwards and the Highlander brush soon whipped a fine lather for my face.
Positive note, I have no cuts and the shave is perfectly acceptable for the day ahead.
I am still discovering the razor and pleased as punch with it.
Have a great evening everyone.

@Boycie83
@Johnny Bravo
@BrianH
@Blademonkey
@chard52142
@donnie_arko
@mpf9ret
@Digimonkey
@NotTheStig

Many thanks to you all for your kind words and thoughts which certainly helped me piece myself back together. Not saying I am completely there yet and I do wonder if I ever will be, but I am in a better place. To those who sent me a PM, I will get back to you and again so grateful for your concerns.

You're a sterling bunch and what makes this place the best corner of the Internet.

Welcome you fantastic forum folk. I am sure you have noticed but I have been somewhat absent from the SOTD section over the past three weeks or so, but probably not quite for the reasons you may think. Okay I did spend two weeks working and for the best part of the last week, no internet. Which to be honest was a bit of a blessing in disguise.

However it was mainly due to having a complete mental breakdown. Having a mental issue was a bit of a new one for me and spent time in some kind of wilderness where I didn't understand some sides of life. I eventually opened up to my wife (perhaps telling her I wanted to leave with no particular reasoning went some way to saying I had issues) and she has really helped get my thinking back to where I should be. So I have spent the week or so in a form of mental rehab. So happy to say I appear to be somewhat more me and slowly but surely returning to a sense of normality.

Oddly I still managed to maintain being a Captain with no issues. Except when I went to bed and my mind went in to overdrive.

Not to say I wasn't shaving because I was, and taking a pretty picture in to the bargain, but that was as far as it went and I couldn't be arsed posting anything.

But here I am posting again after a bit of a hiatus and ready to probably write more of my usual shite. And to celebrate what went on in my head I theme this shave, 'Where is my mind?'

The first couple of pictures were from my shaves this past weekend at my brother's caravan in North Wales. A new for me experience, a box pretending to being a house on wheels. Closing doors to open doors and trying to climb in to a bed which by all means was the same size as the room all proved strange to me. Making the sheets in the morning was perhaps more challenging than trying to refocus my head.

View attachment 108635

View attachment 108636

Still the Mongoose managed to make me smile no end. If you can't find comfort in a bed at least I could find solstice in having some happy face time. What a God. And there was always Brian's fine chemicals from Bolton to aid the pleasure and the Hive-2 to throw it all on my face. Brilliance all the way

View attachment 108637

Back in to big room living and time to dig the Ikon out. New Polsilver Lodz and away I went. Team lather being provided by Gile's super smashing big boy and the Abbate Y Mantia Krokos, what could ever go wrong? Nothing. Just a wonderfully smooth and totally satisfying result.

View attachment 108675

And finally on to this evening. And now for something completely different and a reach for the Enoch. New blade and sharp bit of choice being a Schick Proline.

Now usually I can throw his baby all over the place at a rapid pace and the results are stunning. However first stroke and something didn't feel quite right and there was a feeling a lot of blade was on display as if these Schicks had grown a couple of millimetres. 'Ah new SE blade syndrome' so just take it easy.

Still felt something was wrong and far too many weepers appearing. Take the razor apart and the fucker had slipped forward. I always did say the Enoch had an horrendous securing arrangement and this went a long way of saying 'Yes it's shite'. Put it all back together and start again. Ah, bliss and more the Enoch I know. Still played it cautious though and end results were simply, not good. Calling Dr Styptic, calling Dr Styptic. Between the styptic pencil and copious quantities of toilet tissue I was starting to look like the Poop paper monster from out of space.
Thank God for L'Occitane Cade balm to help cool things down.

Better luck tomorrow my man, better luck tomorrow

'Now get shaving and writing your SOTD's you useless bastard!'

With all my issues of recent I really must apologise for denying you all of some quality Japanese ladies. So to make up for their lack of it is only for your own good mental health I finish with those Beavers from Otoboke

One thing I never lost though was that love I have for you all. And I do, I love you all
Sorry to hear. Self care is goal #1 and I hope you see better times.
Your delightful ramblings are a big reason I come here and I look forward everyday to see what you have been up to.
Best wishes.

Last edited:
IMG_2121.jpeg
SOTD: 12/07/2023

Razor: Yaqi Mellon Chrome
Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: Highlander Copper Colonel Plissoft Knot
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: A&E Vida Puck
Aftershave: A&E Vida Aftershave
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm

The original Vida is probably along with Seaforth Sea Spiced Lime my favourite original scent. A great lime based scent that lasts all day.

Welcome you fantastic forum folk. I am sure you have noticed but I have been somewhat absent from the SOTD section over the past three weeks or so, but probably not quite for the reasons you may think. Okay I did spend two weeks working and for the best part of the last week, no internet. Which to be honest was a bit of a blessing in disguise.

However it was mainly due to having a complete mental breakdown. Having a mental issue was a bit of a new one for me and spent time in some kind of wilderness where I didn't understand some sides of life. I eventually opened up to my wife (perhaps telling her I wanted to leave with no particular reasoning went some way to saying I had issues) and she has really helped get my thinking back to where I should be. So I have spent the week or so in a form of mental rehab. So happy to say I appear to be somewhat more me and slowly but surely returning to a sense of normality.

Oddly I still managed to maintain being a Captain with no issues. Except when I went to bed and my mind went in to overdrive.

Not to say I wasn't shaving because I was, and taking a pretty picture in to the bargain, but that was as far as it went and I couldn't be arsed posting anything.

But here I am posting again after a bit of a hiatus and ready to probably write more of my usual shite. And to celebrate what went on in my head I theme this shave, 'Where is my mind?'

The first couple of pictures were from my shaves this past weekend at my brother's caravan in North Wales. A new for me experience, a box pretending to being a house on wheels. Closing doors to open doors and trying to climb in to a bed which by all means was the same size as the room all proved strange to me. Making the sheets in the morning was perhaps more challenging than trying to refocus my head.

View attachment 108635

View attachment 108636

Still the Mongoose managed to make me smile no end. If you can't find comfort in a bed at least I could find solstice in having some happy face time. What a God. And there was always Brian's fine chemicals from Bolton to aid the pleasure and the Hive-2 to throw it all on my face. Brilliance all the way

View attachment 108637

Back in to big room living and time to dig the Ikon out. New Polsilver Lodz and away I went. Team lather being provided by Gile's super smashing big boy and the Abbate Y Mantia Krokos, what could ever go wrong? Nothing. Just a wonderfully smooth and totally satisfying result.

View attachment 108675

And finally on to this evening. And now for something completely different and a reach for the Enoch. New blade and sharp bit of choice being a Schick Proline.

Now usually I can throw his baby all over the place at a rapid pace and the results are stunning. However first stroke and something didn't feel quite right and there was a feeling a lot of blade was on display as if these Schicks had grown a couple of millimetres. 'Ah new SE blade syndrome' so just take it easy.

Still felt something was wrong and far too many weepers appearing. Take the razor apart and the fucker had slipped forward. I always did say the Enoch had an horrendous securing arrangement and this went a long way of saying 'Yes it's shite'. Put it all back together and start again. Ah, bliss and more the Enoch I know. Still played it cautious though and end results were simply, not good. Calling Dr Styptic, calling Dr Styptic. Between the styptic pencil and copious quantities of toilet tissue I was starting to look like the Poop paper monster from out of space.
Thank God for L'Occitane Cade balm to help cool things down.

Better luck tomorrow my man, better luck tomorrow

'Now get shaving and writing your SOTD's you useless bastard!'

With all my issues of recent I really must apologise for denying you all of some quality Japanese ladies. So to make up for their lack of it is only for your own good mental health I finish with those Beavers from Otoboke

One thing I never lost though was that love I have for you all. And I do, I love you all
I’m sorry to hear of you have been struggling but glad to see you have managed to find your way back to ‘normality’.

Back
Top Bottom