SOTD: Saturday 8 - Friday 14 October 2022.

They are indeed. I also have a Gretsch 5120 over in Yorkshire. To be swapped for the Telecaster next week as I do love the Gretsch sound......

View attachment 94753

On a past visit to Cape Town I obtained a “Township Guitar”. The name describes it all, it is a unique construction and allows township folk to produce guitar music when the Fenders, Gibsons and the like are way out of reach for them. Ultimate recycling!
Bernie sits and waits to get his chair back from the usurper guitar :)
The can is empty by the way!

A60BEC5A-8034-4327-8B16-6ADE6F59108D.jpeg

On a past visit to Cape Town I obtained a “Township Guitar”. The name describes it all, it is a unique construction and allows township folk to produce guitar music when the Fenders, Gibsons and the like are way out of reach for them. Ultimate recycling!

View attachment 94789
Jam session on the cards with @Satanfriendly

View attachment 94789

I love the look of that. How does it sound plugged in?

13/10/22

Pre - Palmolive Refreshing
Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - Arko Puck
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Voskhod (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice

I dug out my well used and broken in Zenith Euro X for today's shave and it lost about 5 bristles in the shave today, I love the feel of this brush but I can't see it having a long lifespan if it continues to shed like this!
Nonetheless a very nice shave, and I finished it with a few splashes of Old Spice. Many of my aftershaves are fougeres or marine style scents, it's nice to have something a little different.

IMG_20221013_123003734.jpg

Thursday 13th October

AL9nZEWuQkJmaXK5IidZTohOo8P-3k2MDyZTCHSR6nScNWqivwWCZtJU9ElvmSIRPgJJI1JW7c9isiVnUB_wSURN25cGbKHRPFjwxbbjn3CLtIy_CRSvi2fhxEvtVR4YKL-6IF267-0kp0JAGQy1tijUJ_X-wA=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Yardley (Vintage) Shaving Soap & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
GEM 1912 Junior (1930) & GEM by Personna (4)
Brut Splash-On (as Aftershave)

Another shave with a 1930 variant of the GEM 1912, tonight a nickel plated example with a slightly sloppy top cap ... not that it matters as the blade is held in nice and tight by the front retention hooks and the back clip. Super shave! Yeah, super ... once I'd picked a good soap!

I started out lathering up my newly acquired Culpeper Gentleman's Shaving Soap. It's a lovely soap with a gorgeous straight-up Eau de Cologne scent, presented in an equally lovely wooden bowl. Alas, that's where the lovliness stops as it is one of those soaps that appears to lather, then when you get it on your face it froths into a light, airy foam and dissipates before you can get the razor to your face.

Remembering a trick with such soaps, I rinsed out my brush and gave it a good wringing so it was just damp ... and then went in for a low and slow loading while dripping tiny amounts of water in. Same result.

Boooo! Hiss! Rubbish!

So, I reached for my vintage Yardley Shaving Soap which is now decanted into an anonymous-looking wooden bowl as the actual Yardley bowl appears to be growing mould spots! Urgh! The soap is still good, mind ...

... and with that lathered up, I got a smashing shave.

AL9nZEVCLWhzv0O4M1N09EgrlRnpTqLjOcY90eIa7n8OybDylERWcvruYWbOM5fFQcWF9IO76aOx6WH5-RLyj16kHVI9dOlFV5qz8VRS5v2LbfRgIJoe0xIahv0bV2G7YgPf4ZM88qzDt5SRAa84EmoTaehlSQ=w600

AL9nZEVO2ztEiULJbXDH6Gp-mw2IyeUOGsUh7Xfpo_Oooo_68oqMElTsXMHQQxSpeA9LPq4Sig82GBBbhcZWTKrGyMVi0MyRO-BTs9OpRclfdZRH4YpF4Hf1g-md2o41TAXPZ-uVq4pLIEcWfsTK5M49wePdEg=w600

I know nothing about Culpepers. I googled it and even then came up kinda wanting ... but I think it was some kinda of Herbalist shop. Well, their shaving soap is crap! Silly Herbalists! Stick to your chuffing herbs and leave shaving soap to the experts!

I love the look of that. How does it sound plugged in?

13/10/22

Pre - Palmolive Refreshing
Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - Arko Puck
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Voskhod (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice

I dug out my well used and broken in Zenith Euro X for today's shave and it lost about 5 bristles in the shave today, I love the feel of this brush but I can't see it having a long lifespan if it continues to shed like this!
Nonetheless a very nice shave, and I finished it with a few splashes of Old Spice. Many of my aftershaves are fougeres or marine style scents, it's nice to have something a little different.

View attachment 94791
Check out www.townshipguitars.com it’s very informative. The list of celeb owners is the who’s who of rock music so it’s no slouch when played. I doubt that true Township folk could afford to buy one these days :(

853C4316-0B7B-4651-9802-757C80CE338D.jpeg

Head and face shave

Bowl lather Giles Shaving Bowl
Leaf (head)
Feather DX (face)
Astra SP
Feather Pro Super
Edwin Jagger STF 25mm
Tabac (tallow)
Tabac AS
Barts Unscented Balm

First head shave for 6 days and the Leaf took it down with ease, such a great head shaver. 2 passes with the DX with minimal touch ups. Both my head and face are comfortably smooth.

Back
Top Bottom