SOTD: Saturday 8 - Friday 14 October 2022.

12/10/22

Pre - Palmolive Refreshing
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow Handle/26mm Faux Horse Knot
Soap - Palmolive Classica Cream
Razor - Gillette New OC RFB
Blade - Voskhod (2)
AS - Williams Aqua Velva

In my MakeUp.UK order, I added a bar of Palmolive 'Refreshing' soap to take my order to free shipping, and I used it today as a preshave. It's a tallow formula soap, and oddly enough it's the same blue colour of the discontinued Wilkinson Sword stick, it's a shame there are so few shaving soaps in a deep blue colour!
It was the first time I had used this new tube of Palmolive Classica, which is the Italian made counterpart of the classic green Palmolive Cream which can be bought in the UK high street, which is made in Belgium. The Italian made Palmolive Menthol cream is quite different to the standard green shaving cream, and I was intrigued whether the Italian made version would be closer to the Italian made Menthol cream or the standard Belgian green cream. I started with a small dollop of Classica and built my lather, and I managed to get a copious amount of lather with minimal effort. It's been a while since I used the green version but I'd say the Classica is touch more concentrated but not quite as the Menthol version. I forgot how great a lather Palmolive cream produces, really slick with a nice amount of cushion, the Gillette New/Voskhod seemed to glide across my face, and the 2 pass shave was very smooth and comfortable. My face felt fantastic when I splashed on the Williams Aqua Velva.

A really enjoyable shave from the start to the finish.

Have a great day gents.

IMG_20221012_140505946.jpg

b6o5jrD.jpg

I was drawn to this razor on the Bay, it was advertised as “trench art”. A bit of research and I’ve learned that trench art implies WW1 although not exclusively to this period. Also, the art work wasn’t actually carried out in the trenches by soldiers but most likely done whilst on furlough/rest behind the front line.
Notwithstanding these points the head and plate are Gillette, made in USA, “old type” brass open comb. No numbers but made sometime before 1920. The cartridge casing handle is a British 303, date stamped 1941. Its anybody’s guess when the marriage took place but it obviously wasn’t during WW1.
It is a very fine razor to use, handle is on the short side but it matches very well with the slenderness of the head. My choice of soap was Razo-Rock Aqua, not a strong scent but very smooth, recently decanted into a porcelain Delft Blue milk churn “homage“. Rubberset 400 homage and Astra superior platinum blade completed the grouping.
The performance and efficiency of this razor, I’ve now named my “Gillette Bullet” matches that of my same era Gillette single ring razors, perhaps not surprising but in the day would have cost a fraction of the latter.
First pass wtg second atg and pick ups = great shave. Thanks for asking :)
have a great evening fellas!

D73F8753-A427-4F8B-87B6-8DA7D28FBDD1.jpeg

Thanks for the info Russ. Like yourself I also mainly play acoustic guitar. My most played guitar is a Stanford OM, which is designed by Furch, it's basically a MIC version of the Furch OM32. I own a Telecaster as well, IMO every guitar player should own a Telecaster! If something goes wrong with a Tele it's the easiest one to fix!

The Telecaster. Probably the most pickupable guitar I have. The Les Paul may sound bigger and more flexible but it just doesn't have the same 'Play me' appeal

Polish_20220424_221457469.jpg

vs

Polish_20220424_221102092.jpg

Wednesday 12th October

AL9nZEWXZDKxEc6PhHiERfjojj1BZQBgPx9-0mKaUhy-DBTNhVnsCCuGWSNRBdGb8TWTDd05pAXrzHW0slMxx7BYYhL9uZImnULNLaup-pWbPFCuuJnrWv7sN9zWWaDu65uey5g1oXzBDomH_Eyi7U8q9kDB1A=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Boots Old English Lavender (Vintage) Shaving Soap & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
GEM 1912 Junior (1930) Brass & GEM by Personna (3)
Mandate Aftershave

First proper go with my newly acquired Boots Old English Lavender shaving soap. Lovely, creamy lather. Not voluminous, but thick and creamy ... and just how I like it!

Switching away from the 1919 model of the GEM 1912 to the slightly later 1930 model, the GEM Junior. Brass, tonight. The material difference here is that the corners of the comb have been refined in, giving a slimmer front to the razor. It was smooth and very enjoyable.

AL9nZEU7oISWZ4B_xjRSkotdVsou33dEeOPU9L5FZeu5q7Vq3wysW54MDRByjKjaKTVdns26S0pOe35gVjpFFwKPWJbvdBkws5WxgKopf922ZN1bzfZfxB9yU7oKEDny_sTiyrEXHEtUf5nP7QaSoTsWaBN0lA=w1200

Back
Top Bottom