SOTD : Saturday 4th September to Friday 10th September 2021.

79CEA716-DAA3-4569-B94B-692C258A071A.jpeg
Prep: Shower with Boots exfoliating face wash.

Pre: PAA cube unscented.

Soap: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato.

Brush: ZENITH unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE

Razor: Tatara Masamune.

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Vintage 3rd use.

Post: Alum, Baxter’s aftershave balm and A&E Barbiere Sofisticato aftershave.

Three smooth passes from this lovely razor and blade. I still love the scent of this cream/aftershave and it may end up being the first tub I need to replace as I’ve hit the bottom, (though still plenty at the sides).

Thursday AM 2021-09-09
On Every Street album (with 'The Bug' song) released by Dire Straits on this date, 1991
HRds9YN.jpg

Rooney 1/1 Faux Horn Finest (22/45)
Ethos Grooming Succès shaving soap
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black/Triad Aristocrat Brass
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (7)
Ethos Grooming Succès aftershave

Some of my favorite software from Ethos Grooming, smooth, rich, and tangy sweet. The soap is softer than the others from Frank, loading really easily and making wonderful dense lather.
brbnjy6.jpg

Thursday 9th September

AM-JKLUDl6C6Qj8drtMlTkl-CbvvLzdnU9Fy3QH97rDIB0sZQWOT0KW8NslYw16P2rLVaK-O1W59hl5LxTFobNozrtO_QjKmGetFAZvP0syZyKqcaFwXikXJ9V0NAzXyaMS8u_kHPiI0nmxmAgUZomWVczQ-GQ=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Wickham 1912 Parma Violet Shaving Soap
hjm Professional w/Blonde Boar 28mm
RazoRock Hawk (A Plate) w/Red Horseman Swing Handle
Feather Professional (4)
Puig Quorum Aftershave

Very much enjoying the Hawk on the A plate. My prior experience of the Feather Professional in the Yaqi AC was kinda 9/10/8.5/8/7.5/7/6 and done (6) and I'd regret pushing a 7th shave. That curve followed almost exactly in the Hawk on its regular plate, but on the A plate, so far it's been 10/10/9.9/9.8. Lovin' it!

First run out (first "proper" run out) with my newly reknotted Vulfix Coronet with a 20mm boar. See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/british-made-piggy-reknot.55247/ ... he's a tad thirsty but pulled up a lovely lather from the Wickham's 1912. Super! I'm certainly going to enjoy this little brush and really think I've improved it with a slightly taller knot, slightly wider (as I had to bore it out just a tad) and certainly a softer knot than it had originally. Very happy with that one!

Good evening men

Simpsons T3
Progress (4)
Gillette 7 O’clock sharpedge
PAA Gondolier
Alum Block/TGS Abysso

8048E856-5973-41EF-B031-BD4B42B2FFFB.jpeg

So I’ve not used the Progress for a few months as I was enjoying using the 6S, so tonight I thought I’d give it a whirl with a new blade.
God knows what happened but I have four substantial weepers on my neck (alum block came to the rescue).
I’ve never had that before so I’m guessing it was a lack of concentration from me, the 6S felt like a pussycat compared to the Progress this evening.
Next shave I’ll go down to a 3 and see how it goes.

Stay safe fellas.

Thursday

Signature Soaps Capra
Simpson Trafalgar T2 synth
Face lather
R41 on iKon OSS
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
Tabac Original after shave

Music: dlp 1.1 from The Disintegration Loops, William Basinski.

A lovely shave today; aided and abetted in no small part by Brian’s soap, which thrived in the Trafalgar synth. Smooth and smelling very 1950s (in a good way).

As it’s coming up for the 20th anniversary of 9/11, I thought I’d listen to the above. For those that are interested, the cultural significance of Basinski’s The Disintegration Loops is well documented.

For all fallen firefighters (and those that are still falling), families, loved ones and friends that have been lost…

View attachment 76601
Thank you. Superb photo
Regards Brian

Last night's shave which arrived on my doorstep carrying the theme 'Big hands vs little razor'

20210908_185903.jpg

Handy sized razor - Kai Gold disposable
Edward razor hands - Whatever it comes with
Baby hand brush - Wee Whiskey Barrel
Hand soap - Penhaligons Bayolea
Hand job - Penhaligons Bayolea splash

Noted another TSR member used a Kai Gold in their SOTD recently which made me think, 'I've got some of them', and so open the plastic container and voila, 10 tiny weeny little razors which made me think they were misdirected by the Post Office on their way to Blefuscu. And then I realised they had been perfectly formed by someone practising Ore-Gami, the ancient Japanese art of folding thin pieces of metal. Instead of making a swan, a rabbit or something else of cute value their imagination must have run away with things and out pops a razor. Brilliant.

A Kai Gold vs a Mongoose. Razor envy

20210909_171507.jpg

The first thing which hit me about the Kai is how bloody small it is, and weight wise it is about the same as the SE blade in the Goose. If Ken was to shave for Barbie this would be right down his street. In my shovel mitts it felt utterly out of proportion. It was @Digimonkey who described my hands as looking as if they had taken a lifetime of being battered. Not by these Japanese disposable razors they haven't.

Slap some lather on and away we go.

Other than struggling with the physical side of the story where I ended up holding it right up by the blade, amazingly all went very well. No hassle shifting bristles and no hassle managing three passes. The blade felt very typical of Kai and despite some short falls elsewhere the blade is actually very good. I guess, as would be expected of Kai. No rough ride and very smooth beginning to end. A few stealth weepers (which I didn't expect. That is what stealth means Chris) and overall a very acceptable shave with a nice finish.

I don't see me using them too regularly but if I ever travel somewhere with a maximum baggage allowance being a wallet then I would be happy to include one in my luggage.

A video showing the advantages of being Kai Gold sized

From perfectly formed Japanese razors and over to some perfectly formed (and talented) Japanese ladies. It's those Band Maid girls who haven't seen the light of my SOTD's for some time.

You can have a double hit this time

Last edited:
Fri 10 SOTD
Soap Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Willy Premium 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
Excellent soap! Nice delicious scent with a creamy and slick lather....
Shave with razor paired with this blade was very good! So smooth and very comfortable in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish. Unfortunately 2 red dots...
This razor is good, blade is so rigidly held in place, considered mild for me & quite efficient but 1 thing I don't like is the dang blade alignment issue. Aftershaves were awesome!
20210910_094302.jpg

20210909_141435.jpg
SOTD 9th Sept
Brush - Omega S Brush 24mm
Soap - OSP Urban Viking
Razor - Ever Ready 1914
Blade - Gem Personna SSC #11
Post - Cien Aqua lotion & Musgo Real balm
Two and a half day stubble mown down with no real problem - another excellent shave.
Omega brush doesn't whip up a lather like the Yaqi synthetics but the extra scritch is welcome on a two or more day stubble. Soap is brilliantly reliable on providing a slick lather and a fresh scent.
Only second time I've gone past 10 shaves with this blade - but nothing to fear as this was my best shave with this razor so far.
Cien lotion is fresh and inoffensive whilst Musgo balm provides a feeling and scent of luxury and class.
A real cracker of a shave.
Take care all and stay safe.

SOTD 10-Sep
DSC02249.jpg
Prep: Warm shower and PAA Cube
Brush: Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Razor: Stirling SS HA Plate
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Post: Cold Water and Stirling Executive Man Aftershave and Balm

Big thank you to @Scorpio93 for the loan of the Stirling razor, on first sight of this thing I was already nervous but decided to hell with it, I'll go whole hog and jump on the HA plate. Fresh blade in to give it a fair shout, the gap/blade presentation on this is far and above any safety I have in my modest collection. I haven't held anything so carefully since my little one was born, and there is some weight to it! Onto the shave.

Thought I would double up and bring out the cube, anything to help things along, lathered up and went to town. Riding the cap with zero pressure, first pass WTG mowed down an absolute ton. By the time I'd gone through the cheeks I was feeling a little more confident, lifted off the cap a bit and carried on. Under the nose I found a little tricky but still managed, finished the pass with no issues. XTG again no issues, the sound coming off this as it cuts through is remarkably loud, but again no issues, even over the chin which I do occasionally catch. No need for ATG, a quick tidy up on a couple of spots and done.

Apply the Stirling Aftershave *eek*, been a while since I felt a sting like that! Let that settle, applied the balm and all good. No sign of irritation and remarkably smooth.

It'll be interesting to see how it progresses through use with the blade, but so far the impressions are very positive. Thank you again Simon!

That's probably the longest SOTD I've ever done, I'm going for a nap now!

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

Back
Top Bottom