SOTD : Saturday 4th September to Friday 10th September 2021.

10 September

Signature Soaps Danum
Simpson Duke 3 synthetic
Blackland Blackbird
Gillette Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger face tonic

1247B3C4-8F41-49ED-B879-FD2FB51C4877.jpeg

A very good shave all round this morning. I am rather enjoying the small Simpson brush now, it created a wonderful lather with the Danum. Although, it is hard to fail with a Signature Soap.

10 September

Signature Soaps Danum
Simpson Duke 3 synthetic
Blackland Blackbird
Gillette Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger face tonic

View attachment 76649

A very good shave all round this morning. I am rather enjoying the small Simpson brush now, it created a wonderful lather with the Danum. Although, it is hard to fail with a Signature Soap.
Beautiful pic and set up. I need to try the Signature soap soon. Pastuers in New York is sold out of the Hibernia which I wanted to get to try. Anyone know other sellers of these in the States ?

10/09/21
SEptember
Pre - Pears Transparent Original Cold water Face wash
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 Faux Tortoise
Soap - Signature Soap Danum
Razor - Blackland Sabre L1
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S (10)
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - TC's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil Balm
A/S - Signature Soap Danum

Wk 36 (7).JPG

A very nice shave from the Mild but for me very efficient L1 plate.
This Simpson knot is a strange one, nothing like my other Ch2 synth. It is a very tightly packed "Bulb". It has a lot of backbone to start then during the face lather its begins to splay, it produces a wonderful lather.
What can i say about the Signature soap Danum? Spectacular? Stellar? well, it held its own in a star quality shave today finishing with the matching splash.

Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Um, where to start? Decided to great reset my shaving routine as I find myself thinking about shaving gear too often, I have a bit of an obsessive personality and hobbies can take over my life if not kept in check. So for until I decide otherwise I'll only be using foam and a cart in order to reset my brain. I did this in the past with hifi, going from relatively high end separates (a few £K worth) to nothing but a cheap bluetooth speaker, it worked... After a couple of months I could listen and enjoy the music itself again rather critically listening only to the sound quality of the music.

Proraso foam, it's been 5 years since I properly used foam... I always used to buy Nivea gel FWIW. Applying it using my hands felt barbaric but apart from that no problem. Menthol strength was more pronounced than either white shaving cream or soap, scent is almost the same maybe a bit fruitier. In use it was slick and protective... Nothing to criticise, is it better than I remember other foams to be? Not really but you do get a huge 300ml can for £4 so it's not bad.

Feather F3 cart, I got this as it looks cool, simple as that! Intention is to fit F2 carts at some point. Anyway, very comfortable to handle, the cart was sharp and smooth, no pulling or irritation. This is the bit which knocked me for six... One single pass gave me a BBS as close as I ever got with an R41 or Blackbird, it was a mixed direction pass so I went wtg in sensitive areas and xtg everywhere else, still blown away by the result as there was no hint of irritation afterwards.

I feel a bit weird about it still... Cart people, I shall mock you no more! Turns out technique is all that matters, not equipment.

DSCF5728.JPG

Um, where to start? Decided to great reset my shaving routine as I find myself thinking about shaving gear too often, I have a bit of an obsessive personality and hobbies can take over my life if not kept in check. So for until I decide otherwise I'll only be using foam and a cart in order to reset my brain. I did this in the past with hifi, going from relatively high end separates (a few £K worth) to nothing but a cheap bluetooth speaker, it worked... After a couple of months I could listen and enjoy the music itself again rather critically listening only to the sound quality of the music.

Proraso foam, it's been 5 years since I properly used foam... I always used to buy Nivea gel FWIW. Applying it using my hands felt barbaric but apart from that no problem. Menthol strength was more pronounced than either white shaving cream or soap, scent is almost the same maybe a bit fruitier. In use it was slick and protective... Nothing to criticise, is it better than I remember other foams to be? Not really but you do get a huge 300ml can for £4 so it's not bad.

Feather F3 cart, I got this as it looks cool, simple as that! Intention is to fit F2 carts at some point. Anyway, very comfortable to handle, the cart was sharp and smooth, no pulling or irritation. This is the bit which knocked me for six... One single pass gave me a BBS as close as I ever got with an R41 or Blackbird, it was a mixed direction pass so I went wtg in sensitive areas and xtg everywhere else, still blown away by the result as there was no hint of irritation afterwards.

I feel a bit weird about it still... Cart people, I shall mock you no more! Turns out technique is all that matters, not equipment.

View attachment 76651
That is a COOL looking cart razor !

SotD

Vintage Farina Gegenüber Russisch Leder -Shaving Cream.
Plisson "Joris" Rasierpinsel Thuja/Palladium - Shaving Brush.
Vintage Le Coq License Palmer - Safety Razor.
Vintage Farina Gegenüber Russisch Leder - After Shave.
Vintage Farina Gegenüber Russisch Leder - EDC.
Vintage Farina Gegenüber Russisch Leder - Deo, Haircream.

42018501ar.jpg

42018502va.jpg

Prep: Face wash with Nivea face wash
Pre: None
Razor: Mongoose
Blade: Feather Professional (5)
Brush: Razorock Barber 24mm
S Cream: Hawkins & Brimble

New month new razor and the one I'll have in use is a single edge called Mongoose

August was a Colonial month and trying the Mongoose next seemed the logical thing to do. Despite the chiselled profile which some say it helps finding the shaving angle easier, this was not the case for me. It took me couple of shaves to find the right angle. First shaves were a bit harsh with more nicks than I expected from this mild razor. Maybe the blame should be shared with the Feather blade which I always find too sharp to start with.
Today things have settled. Angle identified, blade broken in and supported by a great lather from the H & B shaving cream I can declare it a success. Three pass with a near BBS result.

Working week is almost over so wishing you all a great weekend. (oh and let's not forget the ones who might be working....have an easy shift!)

SOTD.jpg

Fri 10th September

Cyril Salter/ MS. ED2BAND
Lea Classic soap
ER 1924
Gem S/S ( 1 )
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

A nice Shave today with a 1924, which is more aggressive than a 1912/1924.However, handled with care and a light touch delivers a nice close Shave. Today all was good, and a Top Notch finish was attained without mishap.

5C45F26A-B455-423F-A41D-311DB4A82C79.jpeg

View attachment 76651

'The great reset'? Not heard of that phrase before, it's a good one, apt as well.

I fully appreciate the mindset, I myself spent too much time being sucked into my hobbies and when it comes to come to them, it's never really about the acquisition but the dopamine hit for hours of endless research, making the purchase or when it is delivered, and opening the package.

10/9/21

Brush - Yaqi Rainbow/Faux Horse
Soap - Proraso Green Cream
Razor - Gillette Rocket
Blade - Gillette Winner Stainless (1)
Post - Brut Oceans

I've put away all of my razors aside from my Gillette Rocket, which seems to do a great job with whichever blade I have used with it to date and today's shave with a new Winner Stainless was excellent. Smooth and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom