SOTD : Saturday 4th September to Friday 10th September 2021.

Gillette Rocket HD, GSB
Hand-carved Ash Barbershop Boar
MWF
Vintage Shulton Old Spice
Boots Freshwood ASB

I’d forgotten just how voluminous MWF’s lather can be. Explosions of the slick and silken, skin feeding wonder stuff! My favourite so far in this return of mine to the world of pogonotomy. Can’t beat a ruddy great boar brush for whipping it into a real frothy frenzy.

Friday AM 2021-09-10
National TV Dinner Day
841e8dh.jpg

Rooney Beehive Ivory Finest (24/50)
Eufros Tobacco shaving soap
Carbon Mokume-gane Brass/R2
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (8)
Cigar Aficionado aftershave

The brush is more tightly packed and somewhat scrubbier than most of mine. The soap has a predominant tobacco tone but is spicy and sweet; it's not my favorite tobacco soap. But the aftershave is great - and cheap.
6LrMUeV.jpg

Friday 10th September

AM-JKLXN1_D73h2_9dsxprsbvt2XrgMLsZsKlZLMiRsqdVi9Ki56sKbB6tDTikkdLh-LMNqPE3d9GsuNQ7GhXbkCWeKAtmtrXy-YRN3sqYcgd2ZlrGFTxzvlWPRo4oc-t7BReQUW0Kmse7lPzq1m59eoMylGDA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Wickham 1912 Club Cola Shaving Soap
hjm Professional w/Blonde Boar 28mm
RazoRock Hawk (A Plate) w/Red Horseman Swing Handle
Feather Professional (5)
Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne

More of the same ...

There are some razors that you just can't get a bad shave out of and for me, this is one of them. The Hawk is an entirely different beast on the A plate, which I take as "a for absolutely perfect".

First run out with my other newly reknotted Vulfix Coronet? with a 20mm boar. See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/british-made-piggy-reknot.55247/

... again, he's a tad thirsty but pulled up a lovely lather from the Wickham's 1912. It's one of those knots that will just get better and better with use, so I'm really excited about their continued use.

Gillette Rocket HD, GSB
Hand-carved Ash Barbershop Boar
MWF
Vintage Shulton Old Spice
Boots Freshwood ASB

I’d forgotten just how voluminous MWF’s lather can be. Explosions of the slick and silken, skin feeding wonder stuff! My favourite so far in this return of mine to the world of pogonotomy. Can’t beat a ruddy great boar brush for whipping it into a real frothy frenzy.

We do, of course, need pictures of the finished brushes.

Um, where to start? Decided to great reset my shaving routine as I find myself thinking about shaving gear too often, I have a bit of an obsessive personality and hobbies can take over my life if not kept in check. So for until I decide otherwise I'll only be using foam and a cart in order to reset my brain. I did this in the past with hifi, going from relatively high end separates (a few £K worth) to nothing but a cheap bluetooth speaker, it worked... After a couple of months I could listen and enjoy the music itself again rather critically listening only to the sound quality of the music.

Proraso foam, it's been 5 years since I properly used foam... I always used to buy Nivea gel FWIW. Applying it using my hands felt barbaric but apart from that no problem. Menthol strength was more pronounced than either white shaving cream or soap, scent is almost the same maybe a bit fruitier. In use it was slick and protective... Nothing to criticise, is it better than I remember other foams to be? Not really but you do get a huge 300ml can for £4 so it's not bad.

Feather F3 cart, I got this as it looks cool, simple as that! Intention is to fit F2 carts at some point. Anyway, very comfortable to handle, the cart was sharp and smooth, no pulling or irritation. This is the bit which knocked me for six... One single pass gave me a BBS as close as I ever got with an R41 or Blackbird, it was a mixed direction pass so I went wtg in sensitive areas and xtg everywhere else, still blown away by the result as there was no hint of irritation afterwards.

I feel a bit weird about it still... Cart people, I shall mock you no more! Turns out technique is all that matters, not equipment.

View attachment 76651
Technique trumps tools.

65F7C561-5C28-40E5-9DD5-377E942F969F.jpegRazor = Feather AS-D2
Blade = London Bridge ( 1 )
Brush = Shavemac 24mm Three Band Beehive
Soap = OSP Belgravia Barbershop
Splash = Skin Bracer
Balm = Australian Bodycare Tea Tree

Great Shave Tonight
couldn’t really be bothered as had a hectic 14 hour shift however i had a second wind & went for it.
i actually had plenty of wind but i think that’s for another day :ROFLMAO:
I loved everything about this shave
The soap is absolute class as you would expect from one of James Riley’s
The brush is one of my favourites and sits in the hand nicely & performs like a dream
and the Balms is one of my favourites.
give it a go you won’t be disappointed unless you don’t like tea tree off course

So curious about your SOTD light set up. Yet another master piece of light manipulation from you! :love:
Thank you for your very kind comment. First of all I should say I am no sort of expert . I enjoy playing around with my SOTD Photos. For lighting I have a little light tent like the one below and then just have a normal Angle Pose light with an LED bulb in. In this case the light was positioned straight down but angled slightly away to reduce the shine.

1631308365268.png

DCBE00E2-D136-45C0-B12E-D00675490BAE.jpeg

Prep: Shower with PAA cube menthol.

Pre: PAA cube menthol.

Soap: Stirling Citron

Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake two band badger

Razor: Hone 15

Blade: Solimo

Post: Alum, Baxter’s of California Shave Tonic and Baxter’s aftershave balm.

After the last few muggy day this lightly mentholated soap gave a great lather and refreshingly cooling soap. I love this little workhorse of a brush, not floppy and lathers up a treat. Overall a lovely shave!

Complete with a just in time concept before the SOTD time line for this week, I am very happy to offer you 'Rush ver 2'

20210910_182613.jpg

Rush Rush razor - Stainless Mongoose
Rush Rush blade - Feather Super Professional
Rush Rush brush - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Rush Rush soap - Captain Fawcett's Scapicchio

A wonderful shave with the Mongoose (mild? I don't think so) and a long time not used but super soap

And after the previous lousy musical exit I leave you with this one

Back
Top Bottom