British Made Piggy Reknot

This generic British made (Guaranteed Sterlised, no less) stubby brush came with a couple of other items that I was actually after and it's one of those old boar brushes that you kinda don't want to use as the hair is crumbly and, well, dirty feeling.

AM-JKLU8gMspNDAm7OE5_JTlEEmE8MvpM0scpKLG5H8VNkpWFUSrBrr1CM4sw-Kn9XO048wCsZoWfpb1DQtaKuVNZYU9JnRf8Ro5Pf-PClRHk8PUdW2qkfz-Q5XGrNMM5INgo7Lhc8YtAI27h9uZYMcoXxiwsw=w1200

So, a reknot? Give it a trim!

AM-JKLV4kpkm3a1DNm8CGOgV8vAi6GATqSgPC1PZyoQvAuLBzFtCy5-eU-6Erdd-mMnm0wS9SVTbhzZQnDbS-BI-OxbzWapXwFShk8NNljZtZp2kWM0KRS9WPwLuz66KVx6bm6EG4X93sDFTR8-oZnPA6YyY8g=w1200

Bore (boar?) it out (20mm spade bit) ...

AM-JKLVNzFH0rMRjbGYfB-wnIGKCWdcOL7CJKEDX51__pQ1Ky9WWgcPZTGxsT4trnPZMrJFlSzzQJ9E_VswaaQz8-fTOWslkVM65GFH8MCZfSepZL-jXX6sh2DfU_Cmej9fmPeGIxnMaQzOFZ9IrlSjNS4ZgzA=w1200

Check yo'self before yo' set yo'self ...

AM-JKLWSdXntzYHo4xdROzWgMzX9-wo9wN-Z-iAHzjGtJqtZi4Uz08zcVXfryILUGSTDwbKcz9GscoNhrvRsgkRDgQ_o9QPP1MVT312dhC3th7DBKfsVNiBX03GzObTGUuP8lgvk8eKIj_1Nk90pVgXuVvJ1dw=w1200

Set the knot ...

AM-JKLUOyD_qnuWwL4-z2oW2igCo1FtmplsqW76xrGPeIWKfbiEZEeY-P3owmYCEJGjrigJprcgF4NrYDOQwX_Up_312f2SPwTVkMnSS0X-sezYnJqhIoX3gS8FkMnL6-NrH1A4jJU8Cr7wlDPMnF6irdx2dqA=w900

Done! Ready for action! It'll make a super little face scrubber.

The knot? Cheapo generic boar from China. 19mm? 20mm?

The handle is 40mm tall and 30mm wide.

Having done some research, I'm finding this shape (notice the base is smooth rather than lined, as per Culmak) to be stickered with a Coronet logo, which I have subsequently found to be Vulfix.

AM-JKLWZs7ue9XlGIFPG9pGvP-_tExSZMy0RqePbgVaRKH7uSf8uHf8cVj1sWuAS2yKPdqTd0Ste8G4_-ssOw00_BT7kke9W3neevMcL4KwD0MzawYU2j017u24d4-UBu9ZDMZdYm0Un8ICyY6_NkSnpp_Chcw=w1200

On mine, the only distinguishable feature on the side of the brush was some very feint lettering that I made up to be "Pure Bristle" and "Made in England" and then something else underneath which I couldn't make out.

I've found another such picture and that last part must be the serial number:

AM-JKLUM6KtWbV05pcTrhs9u7Zl4ZpmmjM2bi1C74v6rqDtFOwQNoqsVTabJ19su5Sem5ZL9_x-S_V8HlFCU_R85Qn7ViPT4Z_0EuCn39r06_y5stxwF08D4GoBu0xCOyUysREh8tK0mGwkmOKFWb2g61I7LOA=w500

So, a Vulfix Coronet ... now fit for service again.

Personally, I like the shorter handles such as this one as they allow one to "palm" the brush better for face lathering. That handle can't be much over 50mm it appears.
Yep! Grip thumb around, index finger across and nestle into the side of the middle finger, mush into the face ... minimal amount of handle necessary for optimal grip. I use the same technique with my bigger brushes, just more handle to get a hold of.

Not so long back I used a brush that I'd reknotted and commented at the time that while I thought it was a 21mm or 22mm, it was in fact a 20mm and perfectly good for the job. I encouraged folks to reach to the back of their shave dens, pick out an older, smaller brush and reacquaint themselves with these smaller brushes. You know, now that obscene is de rigeur.

I have a few of these stubby little handles, mostly Culmak in various states of usefulness. I do have a nice shorty Gillette, too, which has a small synthetic but looks proper bushy because of the diminutive size of handle. I have two more of these cheapo Chinese knots (yes, measured to 20mm) which soak in, relax and soften up really quite quickly ... so guess my worst Culmaks will get the same treatment. The knot it not too high for this kind of handle and more suited to me than those shorter, more upright/firm knots.

To further cement your Vulfix/Coronet fact, I have a Coronet branded butterscotch brush which is turned in the classic shape of the 37 series. Gies a mo an’ ah’ll gawn tak a photie. Do I sell it as is with its tiny and somewhat sparse, prickly pure badger knot or refurbish with something more suitable? Ah, such a quandary…

Last edited:
To further cement your Vulfix/Coronet fact, I have a Coronet branded butterscotch brush which is turned in the classic shape of the 37 series. Gies a mo an’ ah’ll gawn tak a photie. Do I sell it as is with its tiny and somewhat sparse, prickly pure badger knot or refurbish with something more suitable? Ah, such a quandary…

Nice! Coronet is really easy to read on yours, rather than filling in the guesswork on the ones I've seen so far.

I'd pull that horrid clod and drop in a good synthetic. Maybe the Synbad would suit that handle. That shape of handle also takes to widening the hole if that's what's necessary for a suitable knot.

Hmm, I thought of a Tux or a 2BED as I like the 2 band look in butterscotch. You’re right though, that manky mire of ming needs gutting like a fish.

Here's a sorta butterscotch ... a vintage Kent that I reknotted with a rather unique synthetic knot at the time which has a lot more scritch than the PurTechs that were the flavour of the day. I had to widen out the hole, which dropped the height of the handle ever so slightly. It suited the handle, I thought to have a larger knot. This is what I was alluding to above.

The 2BED synthetic would look bob-on! Classic looks.

AM-JKLUsxB7gBDvwN23UoeGi7MrevK-F8OeVEiNja4ED8EkKOZKsJAVEzmoRpY-x9IRa3YdQJoYUF4n9h_e_HXa69A8jU5huZnNvS7vUgJEN334wDs-evU6lwnge4MX8RXZ-wO62Gf8OyKE25JW5Dv3k5m_NwA=w800

Back
Top Bottom