SOTD: Saturday 3 June - Friday 9 June 2023.

Sunday 4th & Monday 5th June
Back to back Tatara days for me. Same Feather blade, brush and soap.
Results both days bbs in 2 passes plus pick ups. If I could differentiate between them, I would say that the Nodachi seems the more aggressive but then I was still half asleep this morning when I shaved with the Nodachi head and I got a couple of small weepers. Pilot error I suspect.
A cracking razor for all that and fine start to the week.
Enjoy the day fellas!

IMG_0102.jpeg

SOTD 05-Jun
20230605_083846.jpg
Brush: Highlander Chubby
Soap: M&M Granuaile
Razor: CG Level 3
Blade: Gillette Blues

Decent shave this morning, gentle touch with the CG led to a wonderfully smooth finish. I've been on the hunt (unsuccessfully) for the lvl 2 plate but honestly I probably don't need it. I wouldn't use this everyday but really I never use the same razor everyday anyway...hmm is this an epiphany? Have I just talked myself out of acquiring more?... nah!

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

20230602_192201-01.jpeg

Same photo as the setup is the same, with my English Ball end Tech Razor.
The only thing that ruined this shave was the Green Sharp blade and TBH I am glad to finally pop it in my Discard bin.
I will be popping a Gillette Ruby in next, at least I already know it's going to be a great blade.
Have an epic day and be awesome. :cool:

Sunday 4th & Monday 5th June
Back to back Tatara days for me. Same Feather blade, brush and soap.
Results both days bbs in 2 passes plus pick ups. If I could differentiate between them, I would say that the Nodachi seems the more aggressive but then I was still half asleep this morning when I shaved with the Nodachi head and I got a couple of small weepers. Pilot error I suspect.
A cracking razor for all that and fine start to the week.
Enjoy the day fellas!

View attachment 106952

Agree with your every word for the Tatara. A God razor

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pre-Shave
Razor: Tatara Masamune SB (Masamune top cap)
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock – yellow (1)
Brush: Muhle R89 - Hexagon (Forest Green) -Synthetic
S Cream: ES – Fragrance Free

Tatara Passaround comes with all possible accessories so you can create different combinations of blade exposure and/or blade gap.
In a world (shaving world that is) of variables reigned by YMMV acronym, my opinion should not matter much. And so it shouldn't because it is my personal experience and yours will be no doubt different.

I owed a Tatara Masamune in bare SS so taking receipt of the passaround goodies box came to no surprise in terms of presentation.
Minimalistic cork made casing with a white (ivory) card sleeve protecting the contents from falling out. Extra accessories housed in little card boxes matching the sleeve's provenance. I remember when receiving my example from Tatara the outer black paper carefully wrapping the box with it's folds kept in place by what looked like a wax seal. As I'm sure many of you Tatara owners can attest the unboxing experience does not disappoint.

And the same follows with the contents. The reason why I added my name to the list was purely because of choice of materials. Titanium that this. A metal that when used in the razor world I believe it's done so not because of necessity but rather lavishness. An option of build material you always have to pay a premium cost for. Yes justified by the extra cost of the metal itself but also I think the 'inflated' price tag so that it 'feels' premium.

'I've got it in Titanium' a phrase said with a slight sense of snobbery. :cool:

Given the fact that I used the stainless steel version to no surprise when picking it out of the box that was my reference point. And again to no surprise the first characteristic to stand out was the weight or should I better say the lack of it. It is light! Not aluminium light but noticeably lighter than its SS sibling. The website states around 55% lighter so impossible not to notice.
Having said that for me it is usable light. And that is because I'm not a fan of light razors. Hone 15A been and gone for that reason (and the suction of course @Boycie83 is the expert to explain this), Razorock Blackhawk V2 and Henson followed suit for the same reason. All aluminium, all too light. Talking about Henson I also tried the Ti version through the generosity of the members here and found that also to be way too light, the same I found with a Carbon Ti during its fleeting stay in my den.
Tatara feels different. And talking about the feeling that is the second characteristic to notice. It's not as rough to touch as the SS version. Don't get me wrong the SS version has a level of finish miles apart from what could be classed as industrial (yes Rockwell, I'm thinking of you) but call me picky, my skin didn't like it. Titanium feels different, smoother, silkier whatever word you want to use it just feels better to hold and to use.

So let's talk about the shave.
Hence there are two top caps giving different levels of exposure my thought was to start low and incrementally move to the next more aggressive configuration either because of blade exposure increase or blade gap.
And this leads me perfectly into specs for the numerophiles out here :)
Masamune top cap with a masamune solid bar translates into a negative exposure of -0.13mm and a blade gap of 0.63mm. But numbers are nothing without put into a context. My daily driver now for the last few months DE89, has a positive exposure of +0.06mm and blade gap 0.71mm.
Specs say Masamune will be a milder shave. And again as I'm sure many of you confirm spec sheets are one thing and real life use is another.
Did it feel milder? No it didn't. Quite the contrary I would say.
Was it unpleasantly aggressive? No it wasn't.
A lovely autopilot shave with great results. All throughout I felt as if it will improve with subsequent attempts but tomorrow I shall increase the exposure by changing to the Nodachi top cap and see how that feels in comparison. I'm going by first impressions here.

Tatara Passaround.jpg

Last edited:
05/06/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Yaqi Coco-cola 22mm Synth
Soap - Palmolive Stick "Pipe-bomb"
Razor - Gillette Rocket HD 694093 @71g (1956?)
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Geoffrey Beene Bowling GreenScreenshot_20230605-173103_Gallery.jpg
Spot on that, I do enjoy using these sticks crayon style and building the lather on the chin. Another easy BBS.
Getting ready to go down to the hotel restaurant for another one of these beautiful sunsets.
Screenshot_20230605-173726_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230605-173708_Gallery.jpg
They are quick and quite breathtaking.
Stay safe and enjoy your evening all.

Tech June-kies ...

Monday 5th June

AJFCJaU7r9KhIm5Lw9d19Q3vG2jAsn7p1AIITx_gSdycRNkJ_cEAxupwQVOCVWSoHQpS-MMtX5VyNU10SN_kJcwc-7DHrLYnE23ekGB462ch0EywT5i6D0CvFM4uzmBVSDzyyhut3AZa0d_5bAwau2AJt8z79A=w1200

Gerard of Nottingham (Vintage) Shaving Soap & Ever-Ready 500BN Badger-Lon w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 22mm
Gillette Tech British No.27 & Gillette Platinum (Brazil) (1)
Avon Windjammer (Vintage) Aftershave

Starting a fresh week with the Tech Junkies month ...

Last week was one of the earlier Techs, this week it's the 1940s and my personal favourite: the British Flat Bottom Tech. You can see where this is headed now, right? Yeah, next week it'll be 1950s, then 1960s and the few straggling days at the end for wildcards.

But this week is all about the 1940s British Flat Bottom Tech.

Superb shave from the off with a new to me blade, the Gillette Platinum from Brazil courtesy of @Mike Smart. Far less like the Russian and much more like the Indian Gillettes, which very much meets with my approval. A playfully fierce blade initially, but I bet it smooths off just lovely tomorrow. Perhaps a little prickliness with the first few strokes, something I get with the very sharp Lord Platinum blades. Enjoyed!

Superb lather from the vintage Gerard of Nottingham. Who? Gerard of Nottingham, silly! Again, who? Well, they're the (famous?) soapmaker that was acquired by Cussons and this cake is absolutely what last week's Imperial Leather lathered like but with a really clean and fresh scent, reminiscent of freshly laundered acquisitions ... I mean laundry. I reckon the Cussons soap that @NotTheStig has been using recently is also the same soap.

Splash of vintage Avon for afters. Windjammer is a simple green and mossy concoction ... with real oakmoss, and that suits me very well indeed!

Grand!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom