SOTD : Saturday 27 August - Friday 2 September 2022.

These Roller Guards were adjustable too but you probably knew that. Read the Ad about backing it off some for tougher beards.

I did not know that when I had one in my collection.

Actually, my Dad uses that technique - he has a face beard, but shaves his neck periodically. His preference is for a two-piece open comb that he loosens a touch. I managed to snag him a now discontinued Merkur 11C (the HD model with an open comb head) which he prefers over the Gillette #77 (now back in my collection).

Yep, I haven't landed one of those yet. Nice !

Mine upon arrival! Urgh!

AL9nZEU_vXvABSltgNUGQNqmxehj40vjotseRmgK1Qotbv9wBbccjGVpBq26LQ1ro0QQULJLOdGbawhLWCvHAuWAT_NkcQ3IbV9AROSr9qHZ7j3g7MWTXcfJcPVfifc8u-b7LaDly74WAiLW6MjZTXzB4ROJLg=w800

It was a labour of love, but so worthwhile ...

Restoration: https://goo.gl/photos/xiCBwmtM8DyU5UGp6

I did not know that when I had one in my collection.

Actually, my Dad uses that technique - he has a face beard, but shaves his neck periodically. His preference is for a two-piece open comb that he loosens a touch. I managed to snag him a now discontinued Merkur 11C (the HD model with an open comb head) which he prefers over the Gillette #77 (now back in my collection).

Mine upon arrival! Urgh!

AL9nZEU_vXvABSltgNUGQNqmxehj40vjotseRmgK1Qotbv9wBbccjGVpBq26LQ1ro0QQULJLOdGbawhLWCvHAuWAT_NkcQ3IbV9AROSr9qHZ7j3g7MWTXcfJcPVfifc8u-b7LaDly74WAiLW6MjZTXzB4ROJLg=w800

It was a labour of love, but so worthwhile ...

Restoration: https://goo.gl/photos/xiCBwmtM8DyU5UGp6
Nicely done. Did you plate it or send it out for plating? How's the shave compared to the Pall Mall and Standard Wilkinson Sword ie Empire Model ?

Nicely done. Did you plate it or send it out for plating? How's the shave compared to the Pall Mall and Standard Wilkinson Sword ie Empire Model ?

The first few pictures are as it arrived, then cleaned up as best I could ... then I agonised about whether to get it plated or enjoy the vintage patina. I do not regret my decision to have it plated (yes, sent it to a plating service) and enjoy it immensely now.

The shave? It feels nimble and solid, curiously as it does appear slender and full of lightweight working armature. Versus, say, the Pall Mall, although the Pall Mall is less prone to sloppiness than the Empire, the Pall Mall feels like a brick compared. Sort of like the GEM Junior Bar versus the Micromatic.

The angle is bob-on! Check the angle of the Henckels Rapide, which is positively odd compared. Check against the Pall Mall. It's in between and that is very much a sweet spot that they nailed with this. Very intuitive.

Despite whittling what was an immense collection right down to pretty much GEM Damaskeene, 1912s, 1914s and a mere handful of other ASR associated models; Gillette Tech and a handful of New with one or two Old and other models; very limited collection of "other" ... I struggle to find the time to really engage with much of my collection.

The first few pictures are as it arrived, then cleaned up as best I could ... then I agonised about whether to get it plated or enjoy the vintage patina. I do not regret my decision to have it plated (yes, sent it to a plating service) and enjoy it immensely now.

The shave? It feels nimble and solid, curiously as it does appear slender and full of lightweight working armature. Versus, say, the Pall Mall, although the Pall Mall is less prone to sloppiness than the Empire, the Pall Mall feels like a brick compared. Sort of like the GEM Junior Bar versus the Micromatic.

The angle is bob-on! Check the angle of the Henckels Rapide, which is positively odd compared. Check against the Pall Mall. It's in between and that is very much a sweet spot that they nailed with this. Very intuitive.

Despite whittling what was an immense collection right down to pretty much GEM Damaskeene, 1912s, 1914s and a mere handful of other ASR associated models; Gillette Tech and a handful of New with one or two Old and other models; very limited collection of "other" ... I struggle to find the time to really engage with much of my collection.
Sounds GREAT......Now if I could only find one. By the way, I don't judge replates. It's whatever the owner wants. I have a Williams DE I've held off on but will be getting it replated as I'm a Big Williams fan (30 plus vintage pucks) and I like shiny :cool:

SOTD 31-Aug
20220830_154547.jpg
Brush: C&H 'Manga'
Soap: A&E The Novelist
Razor: ER Streamline
Blade: Corux (2)

Another decent shave, the blade feels even more rigid compared to the modern. Whether it is marginally thicker or just because the cutouts aren't there I'm not sure, maybe it's all in my head. Either which way, nice shave and a smooth irritation free finish.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Wed 31 SR SOTD
Soap Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush SOC Cherry Wood Boar
Razor Joseph Elliott 13/16
Aftershave A&E Peach & Cognac Splash
Lovely soap for the scent and lather qualities...with the matching splash...nice! Excellent soft boar brush for face lathering...
An enjoyable session with this razor. Nice comfortable edge (strop on buffalo leather) in 3passes for a dfs-ccs result without any issues...
20220831_102753.jpg

SOTD: 31/08/2022

Razor: Gillette 1961 Fatboy G1
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 1st use
Brush: Semogue 620 Excelsior Boar Brush
Bowl: Lickimat Wobble Green Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Refreshing Pre Shave Cream
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill Croap
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite Aftershave
Balm: Stirling Lemon Chill Balm
Additional Care: Shave Music Courtesy Of The Beach Boys Greatest Hits
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

Last push for a couple a menthol shaves before the autumn soaps go into the rotation. As the Beach Boys said in the shave playlist for today "Try to keep the summer alive".

I normally do 3 passes one WTG and 2 Across the grain in opposite directions. I hardly ever go against the grain as it causes too many issues. Today I rolled out the Fatboy and did a with the grain pass on 5, one across the grain on 3 and an un-heard of against the grain on 2. Gentlemen, we have a candidate for shave of the year. The stars aligned for this one.

It probably helped that I was on full menthol overload and by the third pass my eyes were streaming and my face was numb. Worth it though.

9DFAAC23-81A5-4DBF-A65B-71FC2BD83DD0.jpeg

SOTD: 31/08/2022

Razor: Gillette 1961 Fatboy G1
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 1st use
Brush: Semogue 620 Excelsior Boar Brush
Bowl: Lickimat Wobble Green Bowl
Preshave: Proraso Refreshing Pre Shave Cream
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill Croap
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite Aftershave
Balm: Stirling Lemon Chill Balm
Additional Care: Shave Music Courtesy Of The Beach Boys Greatest Hits
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

Last push for a couple a menthol shaves before the autumn soaps go into the rotation. As the Beach Boys said in the shave playlist for today "Try to keep the summer alive".

I normally do 3 passes one WTG and 2 Across the grain in opposite directions. I hardly ever go against the grain as it causes too many issues. Today I rolled out the Fatboy and did a with the grain pass on 5, one across the grain on 3 and an un-heard of against the grain on 2. Gentlemen, we have a candidate for shave of the year. The stars aligned for this one.

It probably helped that I was on full menthol overload and by the third pass my eyes were streaming and my face was numb. Worth it though.

View attachment 92676
Forgot to say I had a lucky accident. The wobble bowl fell off the side of the sink into the sink and water sloshed in to it. This is why I am not allowed nice things. Anyroadup, apart from it floating (brilliant design) I just carried carried on and used the very wet lather. Maybe I have been under hydrating my lather all these years. Food for thought.

Tue 30 SR SOTD on another long work trip. For the first time, brought a few of my fav SRs
Soap Signature Soaps Hibernia
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Friedr Herder Abr. Sohn 77
Aftershave Signature Soaps Hibernia Splash
Wonderful quality soap...rich creamy and slick with a refreshing scent too enhanced by the matching splash.
My first travel true SR shave! Brought 5 for this long trip and started with this excellent razor with a smooth and comfortable edge. 3passes for an acceptable ccs result with 2 micro red spots. Really enjoyed the experience...
View attachment 92644
Thank you Richard. I’m always amazed at the “ice cream” lather on the brush! Take care, best regards Brian

Yesterday's shave with the theme 'The slash of the Titans'

20220829_185017.jpg

Hyperion - Stainless Colonial General
Crius - Schick Proline
Lapetus - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
Oceanus - Floris Elite
Prometheus - Collegen moisturiser
Frank - Captain Fawcett's Maharajah

'Shave my armpits will you love? Please'

The Titans, the Gods before the Gods. Googling 'Where do the Titans come from?' it returns that apparently it is The Nissan stadium in downtown Nashville Tennessee. Well, I'll be fucked. That kind of blows the ancient Greek culture thing out of the water.

In reference to this particular shave I am more focused on the Greek Titan (of Japanese decent) Mildeus. The God of lying. It arrives under the pretence of being 'mild' when it is anything but. Quite the opposite if truth has it, and one of the sharpest AC blades out there. Kai should rename this blade 'Titan sharp viscious bastard'. Not very marketable I guess. However, what it is, is one of the smoothest SE blades I have come across and in the milder General an absolute revelation.

God meets another God with the end result being one of the most comfortable and efficient shaves in recent memory ( so about 10 minutes ago). Superlative.

As a result the Colonial has been reinstated as a contender for the Carslberg 'probably' prize for the finest razor out there.

A rare outing for the Maharajah on the grounds it is rather more a darker season scent and a child for the winter, but my jaded memory forgot how damn fine it is. I am still not too keen on the top notes, but after a while what remains is top notch. Longevity? I remain wearing it this morning.

A first class shave

Hanabie? A new one to me so may as well share it with you. What's a shave without some heavy metal girlies?

Another fine day, another great shave, as Manuel said “eventually”.
Used my GEM Junior with GEM blade but first tried Feather FHS-10 and FAS-10 but gave them up as both were tugging against the grain. Seemed ok wtg.
Nothing ”junior” about the razor handle though maybe should be renamed GEM Fatboy?
Great lather with my Rubberset 400 Tribute and TFS Vecchia Torino :)
have a great day fellas

0F08E2D4-910D-4CE8-B024-47B8962E5E1C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom