SOTD : Saturday 27 August - Friday 2 September 2022.

Tuesday August 30, 2022
Razor: Roller Guard Razor
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Spartan Custom/Cashmere
Soap: Mcduff's Birch + Root
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: Nivea 2 into 1
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,393

Some realize they made a roller guard they sold to use with the Gillette old types but fewer know the company had a complete Roller Guard Razor as well. I've had the Guard before in the green box and sold it as I acquired some time ago the actual Roller Guard Razor. The Guard does indeed actually roll as you shave. Some blade feel, but a mild yet efficient shave. Have a great day Everyone !
View attachment 92635
View attachment 92636
View attachment 92637

Love the Roller Guard Razor.
I wonder if Wilkinson put the roller guard on their razor before or after Gillette? I’m guessing before.

image.jpg

I wonder if Wilkinson put the roller guard on their razor before or after Gillette? I’m guessing before.

View attachment 92653
Not sure but it was not done by Gillette. It was it's own company from my understanding in late 1920's. I would say Wilkinson beat them as the Pall Mall was @1905 at least and mine it a roller (y)

Last edited:
Had a quick look at the blades supplied with the ER Ambassador and they seemed serviceable. There's a lot more weight to these than the modern GEM blades, of course it doesn't have the notches or middle cut out either so makes sense.

First pass impression, seems to make significantly more noise than the PTFE GEM blades, more an observation rather than anything significant. Smooth feeling straight away and a decent amount mowed down, second pass took the rest. I will say I didn't feel like I needed a first shave to break it in as I do with the modern efforts so that's a plus.

Happy days, I may have to do a side by side with the blades to get a straight up comparison but overall can't complain. I won't be going out of my way to hunt additional blades down when they're gone as I'm perfectly happy with the moderns but it's a small change of pace.

Brill! I'm really happy that you found a good candidate to take a shave with. I have a good number of those Corrux and a few of the older Radio blades. I even have a very hallowed trio of original Damaskeene blades! I've taken all of those Damaskeene blades past counting and they continue to come back with just a good stropping. The Corrux blades do keep coming back, too, with a good stropping.

If you don't have a dedicated ASR style stropper and belt strop, it'd be worth seeking out a set as they do a better job than a blade holder and taut straight strop.

You know ...

AL9nZEVXzlGh5PZvLnr0qlBXfNP95GQtnHA72R6vy6qzMWymjo1Wm4XbIoZBtFkG2oVno6d_pleTySu_H6BdyyRGtoPUgNgWSnVwSw8WpBkRwGTutyRD2ZgJsy3tq9DKy6Oqy6qiAxepAlaR0GokvTf5yqDeIw=w800

AL9nZEUaa-aq7AyLPLSijyh5aRkkMkMsvBjhcBOOaDpP7OcHuV76QHcEDZsohqLA9CG3tMpZFf_LyspHj-d_OFm7UwWRo3TXiciVy3T2QpBG-WA7CPTGZjJUKwisrVtysK5hq6yZT7OqWWe5RCKs5REKysw-RA=w800

Yeah, lovely change of pace.

View attachment 92653

Before! In fact, before Gillette even made a razor ...

Wilkinson Sword had the "Patent Roller Safety Shaver" in 1903. The Pall Mall you showed was the successor to that razor.

... this one:

AL9nZEUKuBFoDuG-BHa5gYaRMncHahx5PAh5ER4DF-5B5Yjrt7LHFfRa_RvJ-Y0KJrOuETXrHcxUZAo7o56y9IfbmS1Cn-pdn2uYXfgWCDD8H63VAmi8CGfKr-2YbesyPlVd10lLLad0AuYgE5MHNxqU0PEDQQ=w800

EDIT ... and yes, it'll take a GEM blade:

AL9nZEX4euf2qCnFgm4KEm6UuarLz9Wua1l9qagvzvPWnhHTFdBar8ch5v-2osHTS9sdHL4CpEuNBrD_XQqf5enU0rEVJICXhCFmgUXAmGr8EJPgjU23oMcP9zUJy8U1YQrGGBsL_EnO0NYodlwT2mMDjoLn0Q=w800

... which you might see notice similarity with the Henckels Rapide? Wilkinson Sword licensed the design to Henckels but kept the roller part to themselves, hence the Rapide had a regular tooth comb.

AL9nZEUTF1TfiZTmCY-IZDp9MngrKQ6LcH1c9GHyaialf-ZgGHrRP7fguQd3B63VMpg4b22j0hIJzRJbI1dxNiM40VowTbl31gNMhceuKa5tGw_gZ8p4EDBuYbOIiHcBEgNdFUrrzSA2jGnz-ou1q95dSHxejQ=w800

@Dave in KY

Slightly different on the underside ... same "Roller Guard Razor Co" but "Patent XXXXX" on the lower part. The handle is just some Frankenrazor thing.

From memory, yes, a mild shave due to the slight exposure and minimal gap akin to the PAL/Personna Tech-alikes? Fun!

AL9nZEUmLaESJ2RrsGQmbyGlUFdJdw9R4QM_20Z5rAPPx6UGKrmVTP_e-LfoCZDou4XWZmEhQtmzmENOx6vyKOpBBpR8-JHuNK_RF7UddydmzKBOHYP36A0iHkIBPK8YOX7-mwjuC07RLlnVq6i2Ba96xBMcIw=w800
These Roller Guards were adjustable too but you probably knew that. Read the Ad about backing it off some for tougher beards.

Last edited:
Before! In fact, before Gillette even made a razor ...

Wilkinson Sword had the "Patent Roller Safety Shaver" in 1903. The Pall Mall you showed was the successor to that razor.

... this one:

AL9nZEUKuBFoDuG-BHa5gYaRMncHahx5PAh5ER4DF-5B5Yjrt7LHFfRa_RvJ-Y0KJrOuETXrHcxUZAo7o56y9IfbmS1Cn-pdn2uYXfgWCDD8H63VAmi8CGfKr-2YbesyPlVd10lLLad0AuYgE5MHNxqU0PEDQQ=w800

EDIT ... and yes, it'll take a GEM blade:

AL9nZEX4euf2qCnFgm4KEm6UuarLz9Wua1l9qagvzvPWnhHTFdBar8ch5v-2osHTS9sdHL4CpEuNBrD_XQqf5enU0rEVJICXhCFmgUXAmGr8EJPgjU23oMcP9zUJy8U1YQrGGBsL_EnO0NYodlwT2mMDjoLn0Q=w800

... which you might see notice similarity with the Henckels Rapide? Wilkinson Sword licensed the design to Henckels but kept the roller part to themselves, hence the Rapide had a regular tooth comb.

AL9nZEUTF1TfiZTmCY-IZDp9MngrKQ6LcH1c9GHyaialf-ZgGHrRP7fguQd3B63VMpg4b22j0hIJzRJbI1dxNiM40VowTbl31gNMhceuKa5tGw_gZ8p4EDBuYbOIiHcBEgNdFUrrzSA2jGnz-ou1q95dSHxejQ=w800

@Dave in KY
Yep, I haven't landed one of those yet. Nice !

If you don't have a dedicated ASR style stropper and belt strop, it'd be worth seeking out a set as they do a better job than a blade holder and taut straight strop.
I don't have one, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to bring these back, thought they might have been use and bin. I'll keep an eye out and see what I can find.

Do you know whether it has to be a specific model or can it be any of the autostrops?

86A8F233-044A-434F-B80C-EB5ADCDD2C5B.jpeg
SOTD: 30/08/2022

Razor: Hone 15
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 3rd use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Taylor’s Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Cream
Balm: Taylor’s Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Another gift from @Kevy that came with the Brass Final Cut and it reminded me of how well TOBS creams lather and how nice their scents are. A great final day with the Hone, the Polsilver probably could last another couple of uses but I’d rather not push it and end on a high. I still love my original Hone, it’s just a delight every time I use it.

Back
Top Bottom