SOTD: Saturday 17 June - Friday 23 June 2023.

Today's shave (with the same blade as yesterday) was better, after a better day.
I realise yesterday I forgot to mention what lather I used; I used Kent then and yesterday.
A better shave but I do wish these blades were a bit sharper. I can still get a close shave with a bit more effort and more risk of irritation. This one turned out fine though.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette Fat Tech gold (1953)
Blade: Gillette Super Silver
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Wars Fresh https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/649093c27561cd6e4045dcdb

20230619_162816.jpg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander Black brush.
Soap Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Razors Gillette Aluminium and Zemak Candy cane handle Tech and the Leaf.
Blade Gillette Black Winner.
Aftershave Balm Nivea post shave balm.
Aftershave Old Spice.

I am still going strong with Tech June-kies month and have selected my Candy cane tech.
Lovely little razor and it's the one I reach for if I need a second shave in the day to go out somewhere nice, without the worry of little nics.
It's very very mild so no BS finish but very close, a definite daily driver for sure.
The Nivea balm always tingles the face when applied and soaks into the skin quickly, I will have to pick up some more.
Have a great evening everyone.

Tech June-kies ...

Monday 19th June

AJFCJaX_jagjDhJLkGzxGUwfMOUsTyNV2Z8VJBeMUKWMcb9extZsIPZbE9UvbTfshPl6BjYszHOQFFU6SbEuDXW9TWetZU140gwzExQzZe1F3uF31cge1ikBSG-sjFGqfjbJM5n3eXT0hYHPp2GG22QazWWTGg=w800

Bath House Orange Flower Shaving Soap & PAA Doppler Perihelion Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (1960s British) & Gillette Rhino (1)
Ach Brito Eau de Cologne (as Aftershave)

Continuing my run through the decades of the Gillette Tech and this week, it's the 1960s ...

AJFCJaURiKru5zKtxCODRMw2zGyPsAIh-U2x7dHCJyq8IvzTmWkT3FWkRABXoLR16nS8wf07J9rdgpJvrybjvLXLc_wfRmbX0hPRXHcpd_SANxnk_T8Po23ppmuAE4y91b1ji4ML825UItwW3wtJe-xJfAojIA=w800

Through the week, it'll be the regular comb and then over to the open comb variant for the weekend. Notice that the Gillette stamp is not the usual type, which I believe reflects a more European mainland designation as I've seen this stamp more regularly in French and German markets.

Smashing shave with the Bath House soap - it is quite a bit airier than many of my soaps but a slick lather can be easily made up and the scent is heavenly! The Tech itself shaves about as well as you could expect any razor to shave - it's the continued development of a razor that came into being in the 1930s, here decades of development on. Paired with a Shenzhen-made Gillette blade (the factory that more routinely produces the cartridges) from the past, it was just lovely. Splash of Ach Brito for afters, compared to ... say, Alvarez Gomez, it's much gentler on the alcohol and far more soothing. Perfect for this warmer weather.

Have a great week, folks!

19.6.23 Head and face shave

Razor: Leaf (head)
Blade: Astra SP
Razor: Leaf Twig Thorn (face)
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Mühle Sophist STF 23mm
Pre-Shave: Lacura Moisturising Face Wash
Lather: TOBS Eton College
Aftershave: Bart’s Ben Vrackie (Unscented)
Additional Care: Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Aloe Vera Gel, Peppermint, Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oils
Fragrance: Bronnley Original EDT

First use of Eton College for me, wonderful citrusy summer scent that lingered for about an hour. Very nice indeed. Might need to get the cologne now.

SOTD: 20th June 2023.

3.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Tepid shower:/ Radox Feel Active Sea Salt & Lemongrass Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Pears with Mint Extracts Transparent Bar Soap.
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Synthetic
Face Lather.
Lather: OSP Neroli Shaving Soap.
Razor: 1970's Gillette Aluminum Handle Tech S4. (ENG) - Chinese Gillette London Bridge. (D3)
Razor: Kanzy K100. (Head/Dome) - Chinese Gillette London Bridge. (D2)

Cold water face & head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & head Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse/Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./ 4711 Original EDC-ASL. /Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

Greetings,

Early morning Shave,

Its been a while since i last added the OSP neroli soap to my soap rotation which I bought blind some time ago now going off the samples of other OSP soaps that I tried and the wonderful grapefruit & menthol cream performance. I'm so glad i did, both provide me with a super protective lather throughout the shaves leaving a excellent post shave feeling to the face.

A enjoyable early morning comfortable face & head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Aloe Vera Cooling Gel.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

20/06/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 Synth
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - ATT X1 Slant
Blade - Feather Pro Guard
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck - Neroli, Rosemary & Jasmine
A/S - Dior Sauvage
WK 25 (4).jpg
Up, ready and out early, off to Thirsk races on our Social clubs "auld timers" trip.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

SOTD 20-June
20230619_130400.jpg
Brush: Highlander Chubby
Soap: A&E Tobacco Road
Razor: WR4
Blade: Super Pro

Sixth and final shave this morning with the WR4 and nice it was.

A couple of things I've found from this:

It would not accept my prolines which is obviously mentioned in the passaround post (this is resolved with the production model). But it happily accepted my ProGuard, Pro's and Super Pro's and clicks on nicely.

Something to keep in mind is that this is the aluminium prototype, as was mentioned it is 7g (I had tried to measure on my inaccurate kitchen scales before I saw this and came out at 6g), so it is incredibly light which is not for me. This isn't a newly found revelation though, I've never liked very light razors because I'm ham fisted and put too much pressure down, it would be SS (most likely) or Copper for me.

As mentioned before this is seemingly at the upper end of his standard gap offerings. Despite this I've found it to be quite smooth and efficient. A couple of times I have ended up with feedback on the AS, see above re: ham fisted.

Despite the depth on the head I found it to be nimble and more than capable of getting into the awkward places, just as easily as the vector for me and we all know how slimline that is.

So, has this converted me wholly to the ways of AC? No.

Will I rush to buy one, beating away the crowds as I go? No.

Would I consider getting one on the future? Yes

If I didn't have a number of other 'wants' on my list I would contemplate getting one now. Most likely going in for the SS Basic Polish at 0.70 OC or 0.80 SB. However, because of the other wants (or is it needs?) I wouldn't be willing to part with £190-200 right now. Not to say I wouldn't in the future, just not right now.

As ever, take some of what I say with a pinch of salt, this is just my opinion based around my specific tastes. If you are already an AC convert then you may fall in love with it straight away.

That was far too much spiel, hope everyone has a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

Boellis Panama
Shavemac TSR LE 2015
Gibbs 15 adjustable
Personna Lab Blue notched #4
Bath House ‘White Cedar & Pear’ EdP

Set the razor to 6 its highest setting to remove two days heavy growth followed by setting of ‘N’ (3) for second pass, lovely smooth result. The soap is the best almond soap there is imho, even better than ABC.

Tuesday 20 June

Similar to the Paragon tech clone I used the other day today Big Ben also a tech clone. Also open comb with a 4th use Feather blade this time.
It came with a brown Bakelite box, a material commonly used for boxes and pots up until the 50s. Current views regarding Bakelite are mixed some say it’s environmentally more friendly than today’s plastics but others point out that it has serious toxicity problems mainly during manufacturing and disposal. The internet stories make interesting reading.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes the brush. It was time in my daily choice of brushes for an unusual travel brush. This has been carved immaculately from bone and has a 16mm bristle. Not an everyday user but then it’s a travel brush.
Lathering up the Spitfire was easy, the application with a small brush allowing precise placing of the soap. A work of art.
2 passes and pick ups but 3 small weepers, that Feather blade is very sharp!
Have a great day fellas

IMG_7936.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom