SOTD: Saturday 17 June - Friday 23 June 2023.

That's brilliant. Thank you so much for uploading!
Is there a date for the Reader's Digest? Late 1960s?
That's brilliant. Thank you so much for uploading!
Is there a date for the Reader's Digest? Late 1960s?
You are, of course, right on the money - the magazine ad is from 1969.
I say of course, because I have read your many excellent posts and threads on vintage blades in this forum, particulary the thread on Wilkinson Sword Blades.

Wilkinson Sword Blades - Codes and Designs

You are a credit to the Forum, and I am delighted to make your acquantance, Sir!

I have over the years acquired a decent cross-section of Wilkies from the Golden era, including the Super Sword, Light Brigade, New, London Bridge, and Sword Master XCN Chromium, as well as the more common gold and gold stripe variants. All are terrific blades.

You are, of course, right on the money - the magazine ad is from 1969.
I say of course, because I have read your many excellent posts and threads on vintage blades in this forum, particulary the thread on Wilkinson Sword Blades.

Wilkinson Sword Blades - Codes and Designs

You are a credit to the Forum, and I am delighted to make your acquantance, Sir!

I have over the years acquired a decent cross-section of Wilkies from the Golden era, including the Super Sword, Light Brigade, New, London Bridge, and Sword Master XCN Chromium, as well as the more common gold and gold stripe variants. All are terrific blades.
That's very nice of you to say so. It's good to meet you, too.
I am glad I have been of some use to somebody. I thought everyone had me in their ignore list and I had been posting to myself

19 June

Martin de Candre Original
Mühle travel brush
Rockwell 6S
Feather Hi-Stainless
Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

0E642780-6C38-4DD1-B69D-76F213F0AFCB.jpeg
A really good shave to start the week and a moderately successful work around for the shiny mirror finished chrome tube in the photograph problem.
A wonderfully rich and plentiful lather was produced by the travel brush with the Martin de Candre soap and the Rockwell with the R4 plate made for an easy and comfortable, close shave.

Monday 19th June
Ever Ready 1914 - GEM Stainless Coated #2 - Anbbas Tux - Palmolive Classic Cream - Blue Stratos AS - Aloe Vera Gel
IMG-20230618-212553-01.jpg

Last edited:
19/06/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Zenith 506 Copper 28mm Faux Pony
Soap - OSP Dark Matter
Razor - Blackland ERA L3
Blade - Bic Astor (Ελ.)
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Barbour "2016" EDT
WK 25 (3).jpg
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Monday 19 June
A few of my favourites today, Razorine FlatBoy, Astra extra stainless (whatever this is, its either stainless or not, no?) 4th use blade, Tabac soap in old pewter dish applied with an “aged“ Culmak Junior badger brush.
This combo delivered a fine comfortable shave, no irritation, no blood, no sweat.

Have a fine evening fellas!

IMG_0123.jpeg

That's very nice of you to say so. It's good to meet you, too.
I am glad I have been of some use to somebody. I thought everyone had me in their ignore list and I had been posting to myself

Look matey, when I write 'I love you all' I do include you in my numbers. You are not a lost cause and we are always here to support you morally. Or in my case immorally as well.

19/6/23

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Palmolive Green
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo 24mm
Razor - Gillette FB Tech/Yaqi Handle
Blade - pre 2017 Gillette Nacet Stainless (1)
Post - Effect Cucumber
AS - Brut Original

IMG_20230619_120017.jpg

I had a shave with a post 2017 Gillette Nacet Stainless, which felt a lot less sharp in the shave yesterday. I'd generally held this particular blade to be one of the sharper blades out there and was taken by even in a mild razor head like the FB Tech I wasn't able to get a really close shave in 2/3 passes. So I dug out one of my older GNS blades, and tried to recreate yesterday's shave. Same razor, lather, post shave, same number of passes (WTG, XTG, clean up on jaw). For today's shave, the blade did seem a bit harsher at times, yesterday's one felt smoother. I think I did get a slightly closer shave today. I seemed to get a bit more post shave burn for today's shave though.

So from my extremely unscientific test for both blades, I'd say there could be a difference between the new and old variants of the blade but it could have been down to user issues, like pressure/lather and so on. I will try both blades in a few more Techs to see if I notice a difference for both blades in different razors.

Great shave though, both these blades are top quality. I am going to buy some more of these if they do get shifted to Indian production, but as I write that I think the Indian made 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless is like an Indian Nacet but slightly sharper, superb blade too.

Back
Top Bottom