SOTD: Saturday 11th December - Friday 17th December 2021.

UymdYru.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Cream: Floris The Gentleman No 89
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat (6, 4, 4)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Silver (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Penhaligon's Bayolea Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Floris No 89 EdT

First use of the Floris shaving cream. Wonderful stuff. Of course, it has the famous No 89 scent, and as is often the case with top shelf creams, forms significant quantities of lather from a relatively small amount of cream. Excellent cushion and slickness. Three passes for a BBS result. The NOS Gillette Super Silver blade continues to perform beautifully in the Slim Aristocrat, which is hardly surprising, given they are of similar age and were engineered for each other.

UymdYru.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Cream: Floris The Gentleman No 89
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat (6, 4, 4)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Silver (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Penhaligon's Bayolea Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Floris No 89 EdT

First use of the Floris shaving cream. Wonderful stuff. Of course, it has the famous No 89 scent, and as is often the case with top shelf creams, forms significant quantities of lather from a relatively small amount of cream. Excellent cushion and slickness. Three passes for a BBS result. The NOS Gillette Super Silver blade continues to perform beautifully in the Slim Aristocrat, which is hardly surprising, given they are of similar age and were engineered for each other.
your setup is a joy to the eyes, cannot imagine for the nose and the skin!

What is this? Do my eyes deceive me?
I bought a cheap RFB with missing teeth for like $20 and converted it into a single edge razor with a little grinder/file work and some sanding. It takes half a de blade now. Others pioneered this hack that I applied to a broke razor to make what I wanted. Can't make up my mind to take it all done to brass or get it re-plated......
image.jpgIMG_20210326_112847615.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a cheap RFB with missing teeth for like $20 and converted it into a single edge razor with a little grinder work and some sanding. It takes half a de blade now. Others pioneered this hack that I applied to a broke razor to make what I wanted. Can't make up my mind to take it all done to brass or get it re-plated......
View attachment 81641View attachment 81642
That's awesome! Can't wait for @TobyC to see this - proof that there's nothing that can't be made better.

SOTD 28.jpg

Soap – Tabac
Brush – Vintage Omega 621
Razor / Blade – Wilkinson Sword Bonded
A/S - Tabac

A retro 70’s themed shave today for a bit of fun to raise my spirits in an otherwise shit filled world at present.

It’s a very small brush this but the knot really opened out after an initial cleaning and a couple of test lathers. Beautifully soft, held plenty soap and distributed well with no problems lathering. Shed only a couple of hairs and thankfully it didn’t fall apart.
My past experiences with badger & boar brushes was with cheap and nasty efforts and I switched to synthetics as I got more interested in wet shaving. In terms of natural hair brushes this is a step up from anything I’ve used before and its given me a new appreciation.

I believe this Wilkinson is recognised as the first cartridge style blade system so I don’t doubt it has it’s haters. Nevertheless, the great attributes of Tabac soap made using it a pleasure. 3 passes and pickups. The blade felt efficient and silky smooth throughout and no issues, irritation or weepers which was a nice surprise given its age.
Tabac A/S finished off a memorable shave and put a smile on my face so mission accomplished.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

Here is those morning's shave. Been trying to knock out my deliverables before the Christmas break. My boss will be happy! Inspiration for space themed work, a space-type themed soap - well they look like planets to me!
This Yaqi mysterious space badger seems to hoard the lather, despite a good 30s load, maybe just use it for bowl lathering is my thought.
Got a little bit of a pinprick on my chin for the first time in a while, so deployed some alum. I find this one less messy than my block.
Quite a bit of burn from the A/S gel, despite using the alum. Smells nice though, as confirmed by Mrs D.

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_142154__01.jpg
    IMG_20211216_142154__01.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 5
Razor = Rockwell 6s
Blade = Silver Star ( 3 )
Brush = PAA Phantom Aerolite 26mm
Cream = Trufit & hill Lavender ( Sample )
Splash = Razorock Stallion. ( Sample )
FDF73F11-C30D-41A9-9838-AE551E760445.jpegAnother mix match for me to today trying to use up some samples.
This trufit & hill is a wonderful cream & the scent of this first class.
i definitely need a full tub bought.
This was a nice stress free shave.
The third use off the silver star was also decent and i reckon i could get at least another two shaves but 3 is my max
Stay Safe Lads

Last edited:
And this evening's frolics by a ships sink was themed, 'Yorkshire takeaway'

20211216_175442.jpg

Pie and chips - Tatara Nodachi
Pie, chips and gravy - Dorco Prime
Beer and sex and chips and gravy - Wee Whiskey Barrel
Fish, chips and mushy peas - ADP Collezione
My wife's removal of me from my home county - Faena aftershave balm

One of the better things I have done in recent weeks, take the Nodachi away from its intended home in Yorkshire and introduce it to my Liverpool home. Again.

And how glad I did. A great start with team lather and my choice 'brush of the year' . The ADP doing that wonderful ADP thing. A crying shame they stopped producing this soap and replaced it with some half baked cream. Just not the same, just not.

Note. More of that repeating of words as my retirement looms at the end of this month. Yes, the end of this month.

Again the same Dorco and an even better turn up for the books than previous. Superbly smoooooooooth. As for @Duffers782 and his 'Tugging blade theorem', ye doomsayer. The only tugging made this evening is that made by my little Tugboat, and then exercised between the sheets when not working. As I get older even that is a lesser exercise.

IMG-20200326-WA0002.jpg

Tugging

IMG-20200228-WA0039.jpg

And Tugging

So overall a superb display of shaving prowess by the Tatara which has moved way up my ranking this evening. Everything to love and a wonderfully engineered razor if ever.

Total happy bunnyism

And to end this evening's tales from the shaving vault it's over to those Beavers girls. Playing live from a corner shop. Sounds about right.

E4372872-0F55-4BFB-B75A-5C2EF9144646.jpeg

SOTD: 16/12/2021

Razor: Hone 15a
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless, 3rd use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Master Soap Creations Night On The Town
Aftershave: Jean Paul Gautier Le Male EDT
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

A super shave, every aspect is was great from start to finish, and was a sea of tranquility on what turned out to be a manic day!

Back
Top Bottom