Prep Botanics Face Scrub
Razor Soligen Iron Duke in Welsh Yew 6/8
Brush Le Tuft Une Grande
Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum & Witch Hazel
Neil's Yard Rose Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile EDT

Jamie.

The Duke as always been a smooth and comfortable shaver and today proved no different.

001-2-1.jpg

Tuesday:

TOBS Sandalwood soap
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM SE blade (4)
Barbershop Bay Rum
TOBS St. James EdC

Back to the Streamline after the Superspeed yesterday. Very nice it was too.

Tuesday

Muhle R41
Gilllette Platinum "Swede" Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Proraso Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel

2 x WTG passes and done.

Ian

Still comparing LEA sticks:

34yent0.jpg

"Old" LEA stick + New Forest 2213 + UFO U2 "Long" with Muhle R41 2010 and Gillette Platinum #4 + LEA balm with Aqua Velva lotion

Many years have passed since I tried last time this stick. I haden't good memories about it, but today I was surprised: it is more "foamy" than modern lanolized stick and you can shave without much problem if you uses good razor and blades like today. It doesn't have remarkable propiertes anyway, but I must continue comparing both sticks to get strong conclusions.

Cheers!

20120626310.jpg

today's shave

dove soap/ hot face cloth perp
Gillette aluminam handled tech
Feather blade
Kent BK2 Brush
fitjar, shaving cream ( wild man of the woods sent )
Cold face cloth, with more cold water /Geo.F.Trumper Skinfood to finish

Result BSS

I don't know why I have never put that cold water finish in my post!
sorry I do it every morning :blush: thats the damage from meningitis
for you.

Aqueous cream
St. James Founder's Reserve cedarwood and clarysage cream
Gillette Platinum Plus with open comb New (since the blade has a centre slot with no holes so couldn't fit it in my Progress!)
Professor Blighty's universal shaving balsalm - limes

BBS shave with a couple of tiny weepers. Cracking blades. Could do with being a tad smoother; they're more like long-lasting Feathers.

dodgy said:
What's up Paul,

Best advice I can give about using the R41 is simple stuff. Well, simple if you think breaking the sound barrier was simple. Yeah, my suggestions are based on having to break through some kinda barrier, after a small amount of buffering is experienced. After that speed is reached, things calm right down.

Use the sharpest and most unforgiving blade. That will set the tone. Make sure you include plenty of blade buffing and j hooking, even if you don't usually include those tricks.

Then you wanna use looooong strokes. Finally, bear down like you would an M3 cartridge.

One month straight of that kinda shave will get you through the elusive shaving barrier.

Dodgy

Oh, one other thing to try is holding your cat in one hand while shaving with the other. That will help you to focus (an old ninja training trick).

Martin, that is all excellent advice. Can't believe I forgot it!

However you failed to mention the old trick of a running beltsander with your testicles dangling just above it. I presume this was just a lapse?

NotTheStig said:
Aqueous cream
St. James Founder's Reserve cedarwood and clarysage cream
Gillette Platinum Plus with open comb New (since the blade has a centre slot with no holes so couldn't fit it in my Progress!)
Professor Blighty's universal shaving balsalm - limes

BBS shave with a couple of tiny weepers. Cracking blades. Could do with being a tad smoother; they're more like long-lasting Feathers.

How good is the St James stuff? I saw an offer on it recently and nearly sprung, but I've got enough on the go at the moment. However, I like the sound of the scent but would like to know a bit more about performance.

It's really good. Lathers very easily, very slick, great cushioning, smells fantastic, pretty cheap... can't go wrong. I bought a few from Creighton's and also in TK Maxx pretty regularly. Well worth picking some up. I also have the EDT which is also very reasonably priced. It is a long lasting fragrance and doesn't have alcojol in it so I can splash it on my chops with gay abandon. Well, abandon anyway!

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (7)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in best
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger
Scent: D R Harris Arlington

Loaded about 50% more product than usual and the Chubby performed admirably. That's that sorted, then.

First look at the posh scents for less: Vinny suggested to me that Arlington might prove a possibly-superior alternative to GFT, and it's certainly comparable, with a more organically fruity roundness, a similar (long) life, and without the almost peppery edge of GFT (which I do quite like). I could cheerfully wear this daily, for sure.

Well today is over - tonights shave and back on with the straight again...

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Feather Artist SS - Pro blade (1)
Proraso Green cream (new formula)
Neep Jubillee brush
Nivea balm
Witch hazel

...and relax

TUESDAY EVENING

IMAG0069.jpg

Gillette HD500
Gillette 365 (2)
Semogue OC 2 band
Body Shop Maca Root cream - scuttle lathered
Witch hazel
Bulldog balm

I really like this brush. It works really well at both face and bowl lathering.

Nice shave tonight, though the nicks from the R41 still haven't fully healed!

Back
Top Bottom