SOTD Sat. 20th April to Fri. 26th April 2013

Prep: Glycerine Soap, Cold Water
Soap: D.R. Harris Windsor
Brush: Shavemac 177 Silvertip
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber WH, Clinique Post-Shave Healer, Clinique M Lotion
EdT: Sport de Paco Rabanne

Unfortunately my shave was interrupted by a lengthy phone call today. The final result is still very acceptable, just didn't get the full 'me time' today :(

Proraso pre/post white
Monsavon
Kent Silvertex Synthetic
Weber DLC with UFO Kaiser handle
Shark SS(2)
Alum
Blightys Punchinello balm

Nice clean shave. First time using the Kent synthetic, in fact first time using a synthetic, I received today and can't believe how soft the tips are. It whips up a massive amount of lather too. Well impressed!

Prep: Proraso White
Cream: Simpsons
Brush: Simpsons M7 Synthetic
Razor: Weber DLC/Red Goliath XL

First time with the Simpsons cream, nice clean scent but it just confirms I don't get on with glycerin based creams.

My first go on a synthetic brush, lovely soft tips to the touch. Had more backbone than I expected, but in a very springy way? It was difficult to faces lather as it just creates a whole in the centre of the brush so all the lather is on the outside. It's better certainly to paint the lather on which it generates a lot of.

I will reserve final judgement till the next shave with a cream I know better.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Rod Neep custom made, handle in Desert Iron Wood and extra stuffed silvertip 29 mm knot - Cheers Rod!! :D
Razor: Edv. Neiström no 2
Soap: LEA new formula stick
AS: Floid Blue
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Fantastic brush, a little new funk, but it has such promise in it (dense, but with good flow through and good back bone, but still soft tips and soft enough knot for my liking). Razor was excellent too! :D

Prep: Hot Water Prep
Razor: Red Tip Superspeed
Blade: NOS Scottish PermaSharp
Brush: Chinese 24mm Pure
Soap: DR Harris Windsor
A/S: Home Made batch

Result: Exact same shave as last night. For the first time in months I used the same soap twice in a row. I think I've found a keeper!

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Razor: CJB Kamisori\Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Professional (9)
Brush: Simpson PJ 2 band
Cream: Nannys Citrus Zinger - scuttle lathered
Post shave: Witch hazel and IK balm

Just did one WTG pass with the Kamisori. It's immediately evident I need a lot of practice, though I managed to complete a pass without cutting myself.

It's also evident how much more comfortable the Feather blade is after it's been worn in a bit. I think I'm going to have to start following Rick's practice of savaging a toilet roll tube with it before I use it.

Wednesday 24th
  • English Gilette Red Tip Superspeed w/BiC
  • Hand-carved 'Albion' in dark Beech
  • TOBS rose SC
  • Boot's Freshwood AS
  • Boot's Freshwood ASB
Best shave I've managed with the Red Tip. No irritation but not really close enough on parts of the neck. The Freshwood was a nice change today.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat. 20th April to Fri. 26th April 2013

Tall_Paul said:
It's also evident how much more comfortable the Feather blade is after it's been worn in a bit. I think I'm going to have to start following Rick's practice of savaging a toilet roll tube with it before I use it.

I used to cut slashes into a sponge, but I don't have one now. Just a couple of notches drawn through the rim of the tube does nicely though, takes off that initial "crispiness".

Even then, I think the real sweet spot for the blades starts as you get to double figure shaves. Their life is astounding.

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Kropp 6/8", black horn scales, restored by UKRob
Brush: Neep #1156 cocobolo chubby 24mm extra silvertip
Soap: Prof Blighty's Peppermint
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Green Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Scales have come a little loose on this beautiful razor. Must get that sorted out.

Edit: Tapatalk is showing me about eight attached photos on my post, none of which I recognise. I love computers, me.

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Rod Neep custom made, handle in Desert Iron Wood and extra stuffed silvertip 29 mm knot - Cheers Rod!! :D
Razor: Edv. Neiström no 2
Soap: LEA new formula stick
AS: Floid Blue
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Fantastic brush, a little new funk, but it has such promise in it (dense, but with good flow through and good back bone, but still soft tips and soft enough knot for my liking). Razor was excellent too! :D

I'm still loving your beautiful photos, Mikael. Your photos are what motivated me to buy my first straight razor and that lead to a hundred more.

Did you touchup with the Aristocrat?

Edwin Jagger boar
Kent shaving cream
Progress on 1.5 and 1 with Zaza Supreme Stainless (thanks Hairsuite)
Dunhill a/s

Not bad. The cream is thick and protective, leaving a thin layer of cushioning residue. The Zaza is quite a rough blade but sharper than average.

EDIT: if you can see photos below my post they're nothing to do with me!

Thursday xxv April 2013

Prep: Shower, Arran Aromatics Lavender & Tea Tree Facial Wash
Brush: Neep '67 Threepenny Bit Silvertip
Soap: Miller Harris Feuille de Tabac
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Blade: English Wilkie NOS #3 (done & dusted)
Astringent: Thayers Medicated WH
Balm: Zirh Post Shave Solution
Fragrance: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa EdC

Result: A bit rushed and the final shave with this blade, my first English Wilkie. It was worth waiting for in my opinion. The Aristo Jnr is nice too, has a lovely weight & balance to it.

Have a nice day, gents.

Thursday

Needed a decent shave today as an important meeting.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Razor: Gillette New with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Super Thin
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

Ouch!!!! Nasty nick below my bottom lip, lots of blood and it took ages to stop the bleeding, not what I wanted today :(

Back
Top Bottom