Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave (sensitive)
Soap: Tabac stick
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Derby, yes Derby! (1)
After: Alum, Superdrug Forest Fresh AS, Coral Skin Food, Tabac ASB

SOTD20130425_zps93ad01bf.jpg

Having suffered "baboon's bum" from my last Fatip shave with a sharp blade (Personna Lab Blue) I thought I'd use a less sharp blade so tried using a Derby as I've not had any success with this blade in other razors. Result was best I've had with this blade, a little draggy/jumpy but gave a BBS with no irritation, so might not need to assign these blades to the bin after all.

I've also changed my technique with the Fatip to use a steeper angle (handle more parallel to face) which I think has helped.

Been using a synthetic brush this week and first time face lathering. The Muhle has very soft tips but also has a strong backbone so can manage soaps and face-lathering. Different to badger because it doesn't "splay" the same when face-lathering, more like a paint brush. Overall I quite like the Muhle brush as a change to the usual badger/boar.

Morning, everyone.

Thursday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (5)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Tabac
A/S: Tabac
Cologne: Tabac

Aaah, Tabac.

Thursday:

Nanny's French Lavender Hard Soap
Semogue 2012 SE
#15 Aristocrat
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Barbershop Bay Rum
Nivea Cool Kick ASB

Top job!

weds night

nanny's eucyltus and tea tree soft soap
royal crown straight (wtg and xtg)
bbr with gillette green (atg)
simpson brush
nivia sensitive
pen 1870

nice and smooth
steve

Prep Face wash L'Occitane verbena soap
Razor Vintage Orion Kikuboshi 13/16 half hollow
Strop Kanayama cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons M7 LE finest silvertip
Cella crema da barba
Alum & Witch hazel
Una Brennan neroli moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile Edt

Jamie.

Another top quality shave from the Kikuboshi, I swear I cannot remember the last time I took any of my Japanese razor back to the stones for a freshen up they are holding an edge what seems to be forever, and long may it continue.

Dr Rick said:
Tall_Paul said:
It's also evident how much more comfortable the Feather blade is after it's been worn in a bit. I think I'm going to have to start following Rick's practice of savaging a toilet roll tube with it before I use it.

I used to cut slashes into a sponge, but I don't have one now. Just a couple of notches drawn through the rim of the tube does nicely though, takes off that initial "crispiness".

Even then, I think the real sweet spot for the blades starts as you get to double figure shaves. Their life is astounding.

This morning:

Scales have come a little loose on this beautiful razor. Must get that sorted out.

Edit: Tapatalk is showing me about eight attached photos on my post, none of which I recognise. I love computers, me.

A champagne cork works well for taking the edge off.

As for the scales - send them back and I'll do what's necessary.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
'Webly'/Wilkinson Sword Edge (NOS)
RL Safari SS
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
RL 'Safari' EdT (vintage juice)

I believe that NTS mentioned these old blades are some of the first Wilkinson stainless ones, dating from the late 1950s-early 60s. Heh, they gotta be pretty old, seeing as how the price tag on the gray colored 5 pack is 47 cents. I've used these before with very good results and today was no different.

This soap........truly excellent. I love how easily it whips up into a fragrant and very effective lather. They don't make em like they used to.

BBS results,

Martin

Thursday 25th April

sotd25413.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Commodore x3 best badger brush
Ikon open comb stainless
Rainbow (2)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Another fine comfortable shave :icon_smile:

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Cold Water
Soap: T&H 1805
Brush: Neep 28mm Extra Silvertip
Razor: English Brass Ball End Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
EdT: Sport de Paco Rabanne

It took a few too many passes with the Ball End Tech to get a close shave, resulting in some neck irritation. Back to my trusty Weber tomorrow!

lindyhop66 said:
I'm still loving your beautiful photos, Mikael. Your photos are what motivated me to buy my first straight razor and that lead to a hundred more.

Did you touchup with the Aristocrat?

Thank you Robert, much appreciated! :icon_razz:

Nope, no touch up with the DE, but sometimes I use old shaving crap (Martini lingo) to brighten up my pics, usually when I use safety razors (mostly SEs nowadays) it's for my head shaves.

Prep: hot shower
Brush: Shavemach, 30 mm D01 two band
Razor: C V Heljestrand with medals
Soap: LEA stick
AS: Floid Blue
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

If it "only" was for shaving I could use this kind of blade any day in the week, works a treat to remove stubble :D

Back
Top Bottom