SOTD Sat. 19th to Frid. 25th January 2013

Decided to road test my "travel" kit today... so here goes

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
EJ BB brush, Speick soap stick
EJ De89, Rapira SS (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

Very smooth and irritation-free... one weeper that got alumed to oblivion. I've had 3+ months of experience since I last used the EJ De89... what an excellent razor. The only downside (IMO) is that at £20 it may not be perceived as the quality razor it really is... I'm sure the same applies to a lot of similar modern razors. Decided that I wouldn't want to be mucking about with trying new blades when I'm on holiday, so I'm sticking to current fave Rapira SS's.

The only disappointment was the EJ brush... after using my NF Tubby since Christmas I found it just too floppy... OK for painting on creams but not so good with face lathering the Speick. I think I'll just have to take the Tubby (if it fits into the travel tube) and buy another if the suitcase goes walkabout.

UKRob said:
mattyb240 said:
Posh Hilton hotel last night so had a great shave with the large mirrors and stonking hot water:

NF tubby
Proraso white soap
Weber DLC/UFO Red Goliath XL - Polisilver Stainless
Profs ASB mixed with 444

Nice photo - it's a good job you didn't have the Adult Film channnel on in your room.

By the way, what is the 444 used with the Profs ASB?

Ha no dodgy tv here! It's professors blightys universal after shave balm. And 444 is a strong menthol aftershave gel I mix with it to get my desired cooling effect.

Wednesday night

Proraso pre/post menthol
GEM 1912
GEM SS coated blade (4)
TOBS Eton College SC
Simpson's Duke 2 Best
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel Astringent
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel Toner
Cade AS Balm

3-4 passes. Very close, very smooth.

SOTD23January2012_zps94ee6cb8.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Hirsh sandalwood SC
Boots Freshwood AS Balm
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (old juice)

First time using this cream. I'll try this once more but so far I don't care for it. Who knows, maybe I got the lather wrong but I kinda doubt that. Ended up finishing with some Safari soap.

BBS results,

Martin

This morning:

Prep: cold rinse
Razor: Dovo 5/8" "best quality"
Brush: Neep #1213 Aztec in malachite (29mm extra silvertip)
Soap: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood

Wednesday 01-23-13. MUSIC: Blue Note_LP The Ultimate Jazz Collection.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2MvLremHc[/video]

Afeitado_2013-01-232-1.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Semogue SOC two bands - Merkur 37C Slant - Derby Extra #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mitchell's Wool Fat - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum.

Afternoon, all.

Wednesday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 head with an iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra Blue (4)
Brush: Ecotools Bamboo Finishing Kabuki brush
Shave soap: Kell's Black Tea
A/S: Professor Blighty's Sandalwood lotion

Prep: hot shower
Brush: Custom handle w 2band knot
Razor: Hibbard, Spencer
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: TOBS Victorian Lime + Tiger face lotion
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Sharp, very sharp blade indeed (the kind that cuts hair without a sound sharp, when you do a HHT) :D :D
0081024x708_zps6374665d.jpg

Martini: I'm as baffled as you, man, those post guys are sneaky! I could do a combo deal, just for you - the Popular + a straight for once in a life time price. Yes!?​

Evening all :)

Prep: Nivea Face Wash, Hot Flannel
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
A/S: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EDT: L'Occitane Eau du Badian

Hot flannel face soak for a minute then...

Razor: Bic2 disposable
Soap: MWF F.L.
Brush: FS 25mm Finest Badger
and Alum to finish.

Needed a very quick shave for over a days' growth and about 7 mins total time for two pass (WTG and ATG) and pretty much BBS results. :)

WiffWaff said:
Decided to road test my "travel" kit today... so here goes

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
EJ BB brush, Speick soap stick
EJ De89, Rapira SS (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

Very smooth and irritation-free... one weeper that got alumed to oblivion. I've had 3+ months of experience since I last used the EJ De89... what an excellent razor. The only downside (IMO) is that at £20 it may not be perceived as the quality razor it really is... I'm sure the same applies to a lot of similar modern razors. Decided that I wouldn't want to be mucking about with trying new blades when I'm on holiday, so I'm sticking to current fave Rapira SS's.

The only disappointment was the EJ brush... after using my NF Tubby since Christmas I found it just too floppy... OK for painting on creams but not so good with face lathering the Speick. I think I'll just have to take the Tubby (if it fits into the travel tube) and buy another if the suitcase goes walkabout.

Shame about the NF brush as I knew you were looking forward to it. Technique pays dividends for sure. I managed a good quick shave with a cheap disposable and wonder why I complicate matters with all this DE stuff. :-/

Proraso Pre
Institut Karite
Vie-Long Mixed
Cyril R Salter Sensor
Witch Hazel Gel.
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Have not used a cartridge for years and it was ok
But for one day only.

Back
Top Bottom