SOTD Sat. 19th to Frid. 25th January 2013

geezer said:
Shame about the NF brush as I knew you were looking forward to it.

Oops. Just read over my post and realised that I haven't put that very well.

The New Forest brush is excellent... it's the EJ brush that's been shown up as "floppy" and "not fit for purpose" as the modern parlance goes. I'll probably retire the EJ and keep for emergencies and chance taking the NF on my hols.

Gillette Fatboy
7oc SharpEdge (1)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Proraso white soap
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Penhaligon's Castile

I haven't used the Proraso white/sensitive for a while. I think I associate it with warmer weather - more so than the green/eucalyptus & menthol. I should use it more often! What I love about Proraso is that you can't fail to produce decent lather with it. Dry or wet, it serves its purpose completely. Novices should be forced to start with it. Another close shave from the passaround Fatboy... is it going to knock off my Slim?

merkur hd
treet dura sharp
semogue 620
monsovan
vintage shulton old spice AS/ 444

surprisingly acceptable shave. not comfortable all the way during the shave, a few weepers and felt a bit rough. after a cold water rinse and aftershave though, there was no irritation and not too bad results.

Penhaligon's Endymion shaving cream
C&E Super badger
Merkur Futur
Feather
Clarins Men moisturiser
Penhaligon's Endymion Cologne

sotd1.jpg

Today's shave

Merkur 39C slant bar
Wilkinson Sword Blade
Kent BK8 Brush
MWF Shaving soap
Ben Sherman Up shirt creak (the tramp piss splash )

Result smooth and refreshed.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat. 19th to Frid. 25th January 2013

WiffWaff said:
The New Forest brush is excellent...

I think my NF Tubby 2 is the best performance per pound spent of any brush I own (and I have entirely too many :)). A really good solid no-frills brush of excellent quality.

Shaved this afternoon but forgot to post.

The raspings of today were taken with much trepidation after yesterday's nasty reaction to the Indian Old Spice SC and my own ensuing blunders. "Mummy, why does Daddy look like a big tomato?", enquired Shortie innocently upon arriving home from her Gran's. Grrr!

Anyhoo:

English fat Tech + single shim + Personna blue
Coates Fitzwilliam pure
MWF
Barbershop Bay Rum
Astral
Paul Smith London EDT

New brush today. Felt surprisingly soft in the dry but the scritch revealed itself in mid face lather. Need to man up to the this wee beauty, for a beauty it certainly is. Big thanks to Paul at ManMachine for picking me out a lovely example with much neater lamp blacking than often seen in pictures.

Still a little irritated but much better all round. Had almost decided to forego whisker removal today but the Fitz's arrival put paid to that. Can I defeat the Pure or will I go skulking off in search of Best?

First time I've worn the PSL for a long time, perhaps eight or nine months. Previously my undisputed favourite and a huge black dog chaser of a fragrance with many great memories brought to mind upon the merest whiff. Today however, it seemed unctuously modern and a tad girly. Very disappointed. Sometimes I'd get a pleasant hint but mostly I thought it too fresh and flowery. Could it be that it's just the time of year?

War and Peace for SotD as usual. I'll be getting hate mail soon.....:icon_rolleyes:

Wednesday 23rd january

Hot Shower and Facial Scrub
Vitos Pre/Post Cream
Union Cutlery Expert Barber 400 4/8 spike point
Semogue TSN LE 2012 Badger/Boar
Nannys Forest of Norway Soap
Alum Block
Organic Shea Butter
Clubman Classic Vanilla AS
Morgans Classic Pomade
Brian's Own (Moustache Wax)

The razor today was a Whipped Dog 'Sight Unseen'. I am rather pleased with what I got, although the blade is a little smaller than what I would normally choose. Three passes to give a very nice comfortable shave. This is a razor which I intend to use to practise my honing skills.

Wednesday Evening

A rare evening shave for me as I have to get up stupidly early in the morning.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Neep 29mm Aztec
Soap: Nannys Ice and a Slice
Razor: 7 o'clock New with UFO2 handle
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

A very close and very nice shave. I bowl lathered and got a huge amount of lather.

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Weber ARC with UFO Godzilla handle
Vintage Gillette Blue blade (4)
Simpsons Chubby 1 in best
Nannys Citrus Zinger - scuttle lathered
Witch hazel
Proraso white AS balm

Have now retired the blade, but it's been excellent. Shame they don't make em anymore!

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Floïd Sandolor Pre Shave Gel
BRUSH: 22 mm Rooney Small Style 2 Silvertip Best Badger
SOAP/CREAM: De Vergulde Hand Scheerzeep (Soap)
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: Red Point 918, square point
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: De Vergulde Hand After Shave Balsem
COLOGNE: Henkel HE EDC
RESULT: Smooth shave

SODT_REDPOINT_B-1_zps3ee07121.jpg

Have a nice day,
Béla​

This morning:

Prep: cold rinse
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8", in UKRob rosewood scales
Brush: Simpson Major in best
Soap: Pre de Provence
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger

Forgot cologne. Just realised that the Posh Scents Club mini atomisers are all still in a bag, must see to that.

Today was the travel soap and brush, and the most beautifully-scaled of all my razors. Rob is very talented.

Boots Freshwood bowl shaving soap
Henk walnut silvertip
Slim Adjustable on 4
Super Iridium (shave two)
Scent from Heaven Aramis style moisturiser

Good. Erred on the side of comfort today.

Back
Top Bottom