SOTD Sat 18th Aug to Friday 24th Aug

UKRob said:
IanM said:
Wednesday

Got a tiny, tiny nick on my chin which bled profusly and took some time to stop.

Ian

I did the same last week and discovered that applying Witchhazel to a cotton bud helped - the cotton bud soaked up the blood giving the WH time to work.

Cold water, toilet paper and a Styptic pencil got it done before I lost "very nearly an arm full!".

Ian

UKRob said:
IanM said:
Wednesday

Got a tiny, tiny nick on my chin which bled profusly and took some time to stop.

Ian

I did the same last week and discovered that applying Witchhazel to a cotton bud helped - the cotton bud soaked up the blood giving the WH time to work.

I keep banging on about this but place a dollup of talc in the cut and you may see speedy results. It always works for me on those careless occasions I nick myself.

Wednesday:

First shave in about 5 days, long, long stubble. Had to be a hungry razor so:

Taylors "shaving shop" cream
Penhaligons nickel / best brush
Muhle R41
7 o'clock yellow (1)
Ogalalla bay rum lime and peppercorns

2 passes was enough, then a neck shave with a Jagger 87.

Really, really smooth.

1i0ft0.jpg

Pre Prep + Razorock XXX + New Forest 2213 + Slant bakelite with Flash #4 + Myrsol Agua de Limón with Veleiro balm

A smooth shave, although the New Forest is still loosing hair (about 3-4 per shave).

Cheers!

First ever DE shave last night, so thought I'd share a few notes!

OK, cream was Omega Italian.
Razor is a Muhle R89.
Blade was a Derby that was supplied with the Razor
Brush is an unknown type of 'Kent' bought in a sale at Debenhams some years ago.
Post shave Nivea balm.
Prep was a hot shower.
Growth = 4 1/2 days worth of stubble!

OK, so since this was my first ever time, and having taken some tips from here, I decided to go for a simple 1 pass WTG shave to get a feel for the razor, handling it, the low levels of pressure, the general usability. Not that bothered about multi pass BBS etc the first time.

Got a decent lather with the brush and cream and got this applied in a nice uniform manner. Held blade at circa 30 degrees and went from sideburns in a straight down direction. No real problems. Worked down under the chin, then the chin and slightly more tricky upper lip and around the mouth. Only a couple of nicks by the end.

Generally:-

Found the shave satisfying as I got no cuts!! Not quite as I expected, inasmuch as I think I could have probably handled a sharper blade. Nevertheless,a reasonable finish for a WTG pass. Other blades I have are feathers and some israeli made ones.
Noted when going back over some areas that the razor didn't 'glide' as the cream had been removed on the first pass and left little residue - maybe I need a better lather, or do I need to re-lather when touching up?
I bought an alumblock and have no idea what to use that for!!
The Nivea balm worked well, two applications left me with no burn or irritation.

Next go tomorrow morning will be a two pass WTG/XTG. May change the blade, not sure on that! Not going for the ATG until the weekend.

Thanks all for the tips and will keep you posted as the technique develops.

DrAnderson said:

Razor is a Muhle R89.
Brush is an unknown type of 'Kent' bought in a sale at Debenhams some years ago.

Got a decent lather with the brush and cream and got this applied in a nice uniform manner. Only a couple of nicks by the end.

Found the shave satisfying as I got no cuts!! Not quite as I expected, inasmuch as I think I could have probably handled a sharper blade. Nevertheless,a reasonable finish for a WTG pass. Other blades I have are feathers and some israeli made ones.
Noted when going back over some areas that the razor didn't 'glide' as the cream had been removed on the first pass and left little residue - maybe I need a better lather, or do I need to re-lather when touching up?

Next go tomorrow morning will be a two pass WTG/XTG. May change the blade, not sure on that!

Couple things to think about,

If you wanna see how good your prep and lather is, try using your cartridge for a few strokes. If the shave feels uncomfortable in any way, you got a problem that will haunt you for the whole shave.

Far as changing blades after your first shave goes, you have a choice. You can continue with the Derby for a few weeks at least, or switch to those Israeli ones. Personally, I'd hold off on the Derby for a little while, but it's your call. Whatever you decide on, do NOT switch brands for at least a few weeks. Use a blade for three shaves and then replace it. Don't be tempted in trying a Feather.....they can be somewhat unforgiving.

You have a good razor, shaving cream, and blades. No idea what your brush is like, but I'd guess it'll be fine for daily use. Have confidence in your equipment (except the Derby), and give it a couple of weeks for everything to start coming together.

Martin

Schick Krona
Perma-Sharp Super
MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre
Edwin Jagger 'Sea Buckthorn' Soap
'Skinfood' Light Moisturiser

Another average shave. Nice though the cream is I feel like I'm on the edge of my comfort zone with it in terms of reactions. I probably shaved past the point at which I should have stopped, I have a little irritation, not much though. As much as I'm trying to resist the ADs this time round I can't help thinking that a heavier razor might be better (nice though the Krona is, it might be easier to apply less pressure with a heavier razor). Or maybe a slant... or an adjustable... or an open comb... you see how easily though ADs creep back in!!!

DrAnderson said:

Razor is a Muhle R89.
Post shave Nivea balm.
Prep was a hot shower.
Growth = 4 1/2 days worth of stubble!

OK, so since this was my first ever time, and having taken some tips from here, I decided to go for a simple 1 pass WTG shave to get a feel for the razor, handling it, the low levels of pressure, the general usability. Not that bothered about multi pass BBS etc the first time.

Got a decent lather with the brush and cream and got this applied in a nice uniform manner. Held blade at circa 30 degrees and went from sideburns in a straight down direction. No real problems. Worked down under the chin, then the chin and slightly more tricky upper lip and around the mouth. Only a couple of nicks by the end.

I bought an alumblock and have no idea what to use that for!!
The Nivea balm worked well, two applications left me with no burn or irritation.

Next go tomorrow morning will be a two pass WTG/XTG. May change the blade, not sure on that! Not going for the ATG until the weekend.

Thanks all for the tips and will keep you posted as the technique develops.

Congratulations! You always want lather on your skin if the blade is touching your face! Unless you have magical self lubricating skin!

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Israeli Personna (1)
Vie Long 13061
Cella
C&E West Indian Lime balm
Floris Limes

Bloody refreshing. It's making me want to splurge on citrus-scented soaps and edts. Any suggestions, chaps? I was thinking RazoRock XXX or perhaps one of Nanny's offerings?

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 30mm Simpson CHUBBY 2 Best Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Manantiales de La Toja Soap
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: Iwasaki Kamisori
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Eau de Cologne LAVANDA Ach. Brito
RESULT: One amazing shave!!!

SODT_IWASAKI_B-5.jpg

Have a nice day,