SOTD Sat 18th Aug to Friday 24th Aug

Friday

Wilkinson Sword "Sticky"
Wilkinson Sword blade (3)
I Coloniali Mango Soap
Vulfix Pure Badger brush
E45
Speick AS Lotion

Poor lather, foamy but no body to it; poor technique with badger brush and had to redo with boar brush to create creamy lather from the soap puck

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Israeli Personna (3)
Vie Long 13061
Cella
C&E Sienna balm
Floris Santal

Looking forward to getting back and reintroducing a bit more choice. I had a very quick turnaround between flying back from Scotland and driving up to Wales and so grabbed the Slim Adjustable, the Vie Long brush, the Cella and a few Crabtree & Evelyn and Floris samples before flying out the door. Not long ago that'd be more variety than I'd know how to use - and it's far more than the 34c, Derbys, EJ badger and La Toja stick I took up to the Highlands - but I'm definitely missing my stash at home! On the other hand, I oughtn't really be wishing my holiday away for the sake of pampering!

Pre shave - Arko
Razor - Filarmonic SubCero #12
Strop - 3" Snake, Shell Cordovan & Genuine Linen Hanging Razor Strop
Brush - GOSH Heritage
Soap - Mike's Unscented
Cold Rinse/ Witch Hazel/ Prof Blighty's English Oak Aftershave Splash

Hmm, a bit of a rough shave... BBS, but face is a little sore..... not quite getting the soap slick enough for a straight shave yet, so will work on it with the D/E's :-/

Dr Dulcamara said:
20120819.jpg

My wife still has the Anne Geddes book on the table, so I could not resist putting it back in the photo background. Mitchell and Taylor are twins (5 weeks). Mitchell (left) was snoring at the time. The boots were made especially for the photo.

Absolutely charming!

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Le Tuft w Simpson super knot
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: TOBS Victorian Lime + Tiger face tonic
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

One of those shaves when it was hard for me to say if I was "uberclean" (cleanest in my book, like in silly clean) och "just" "very, very clean"... seriously good razor anyhow :D
0061024x761.jpg

TOBS Lime Shave Cream
Semogue 830
39c Slant
Asda Personna
Liz Earle ASB
Better shave today,have not used these blades for a while forgot how good they are.
After reading Steves trip to London post i decided to get the Tobs Cream out for a
go.It seems some of us had the same idea.goes to show what good service can do as
i picked a couple more creams from a chemist on the Isle Of Wight before i set off for
home.

Professor Blighty's English Oak shaving soap
Ideal on top setting (9)
Gillette 365 (second shave) and Personna '74 (ninth shave)
M and S Harvard a/s balm

Killed the 365 halfway through. The Personna '74 - sharp as ever - didn't feel as scrapey as it has in my other razors.
Result was a close and fairly comfortable. Some BBS areas, some very good, a small amount average.

NotTheStig said:
The Personna '74 - sharp as ever - didn't feel as scrapey as it has in my other razors.
Result was a close and fairly comfortable. Some BBS areas, some very good, a small amount average.

Should it be renamed as the Curate's Egg?

Dr Rick said:
What is the razor, Mikael?

It's a Bengall in cast steel by T R Cadman and sons, with some kind of bone scales. It was a swine to hone and I had to rehone three times before getting it right, but now I look like this :D when I shave with it. It's a perfect example on how an old wedgy Sheffield razor should shave/feel like, I think (and perfect for when you have heavy stubble). Only "problem" it has is that one washer (on the other side) is gone, but it holds the wedge part of the scales together just fine anyway (note to myself, _must_ get pins).

Shower, cold splash
M&F blonde badger brush
Speick shave stick
GEM MM bullet tip
Speick AS
C&E Sandalwood ASB

BBS shave. However, unusual thing was - I face lathered (staying in a hotel), which I normally don't, and could never get a decent result doing it with other shave sticks. However with Speick it was just as great of lather as I'd normally get from a bowl, maybe a tad thinner on the third pass. Amazed again!

Thursday night shave

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Feather Artist Club SS - Pro Blade (1)
Kent BS10
Palmolive Classic Shaving Soap
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

I've read of others dragging a new feather blade through a sponge or a cork to take the raw edge off it but never really appreciated why. New blade in the feather for this shave and, well it was a bit too keen. Its left my face feeling a little warm and slightly uncomfortable. Lesson learnt and wine cork identified and on standby for next time!

I've got to say, Nivea sensitive ASB might be cheap but it really does the job for me.

Bit of feedback from my first multi pass on Thursday morning.

Good prep and first WTG pass went very well. I didn't apply more cream to the brush and lathered up with what was on it. Most of the XTG pass went OK other than a couple of nicks on the top lip under the nose and where the neck meets the under chin. Bit of irritation. Still using the Derby blade/Muhle R89/omega cream.

So, feeling that this wasn't right, gave it some considerations:-
1. Should have put more cream on the brush for the XTG pass to get more glycerin in the mix.
2. Probably was a bit careless with the amount of pressure and the angle of the head, i.e. using pressure to compensate for an incorrect angle.
3. Maybe felt under a bit of time pressure as I was getting ready for work.
4. Still inexperienced!!

Got more time today so will have a good steady careful shave later.

Back
Top Bottom