SOTD Sat. 13th April to Fri. 19th April 2013

Home made pre-shave (Virgin olive oil and Tea tree oil)
L'Occitane Cream
Frank Silvertip brush
US Gold Tech
Feather blade
Nanny's Neroli fFacial Serum
UG of London A/s

Needed three passes, the Tech being a bit mild even with a Feather blade. Nice comfy and close shave however, if not BBS.

Hot Shower

TOBS Grapefruit
Neep Jubilee
Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle
Feather Portable
CVS DE Blade
Clinique Post Shave
Pinaud Clubman

The first outing for the Dirty Bird, I face lathered and used it and it works, it keeps the brush just nice and warm. CVS blade was OK, nothing brilliant, but smooth enough. It was my first shave since 7.00 a.m. Monday California time, so plenty of stubble. Clinique was nice. as for the Pinaud, it's nice stuff, sort of reminds me of something else but I can't work it out.

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Dubl Duck special No.1
Morris & Forndran stubby 2XL
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm
Surrati Black Aoud

One of my favourite combinations.

Wednesday 17th April

sotd17413.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons POLO 8 best badger brush
Gillette blue tip superspeed
Sputnik (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Comfortable shave, lovely. Using the mild blue tip superspeed which arrived today with thanks to Majortom. I've swapped the blade into a more agressive red tip superspeed for tomorrows shave.

Brian

Afternoon, gents.

Wednesday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (5)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Monsavon
A/S: I Coloniali, Ebano Ebano

Wonderful shave with the Monsavon which gave a thick, creamy lather and pleasant lavender scent. A friend went to France over Easter to visit her grandmother and I asked her to get me a bowl of Monsavon. She came back with two and told me that her grandmother was amazed to see that this soap is still sold, and at such a cheap price (€1.30 each). Grand'maman then decided that her grandson, who complains about the price of the shaving foam he buys, would be receiving a bowl and brush very soon. Hope he enjoys it.

Prep: Cold Water Face Wash w/ Glycerine Soap
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog
Blade: Voskhod (3)
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

Comfortable 2-pass shave (WTG, XTG) and a few touch-ups.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep in Masur Birch handle
Razor: Erik Anton Berg, frameback
Soap: MdC
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Very nice and stiff blade, sharp too :D

pearl open comb
english wilkinson sword
semogue oc 2 band
dr harris almond shave cream
tabac AS
boots no7 post shave balm

very nice shave. im still enjoying the pearl razor, great for the price. my only gripe is the top plate is very slightly off centre but as long as i align the blade with the comb its good.

Henk walnut silvertip
D R Harris Arlington cream
Rotbart 20 with BIC Stainless (2)
4711 a/s

Blade still causes a lot of burn. It's akin to how I remember Derby being for me. In the bin it goes and a Polsilver SI finishes the second pass and does the touch-ups. The a/s was probably a mistake (over a balm) but I wanted it to complement the Arlington.

Gillette Mach3 (9)
Semogue SOC boar
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Penhaligon's English Fern

Dirty method of (ab)using MWF worked a treat - soaked puck, warm water, a big boar knot, and vigorous lathering. I'm not exactly pushing it, but I can't get a particularly close shave with this Mach3 in relation to my various safety razors.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: English NEW LC with Weber Bulldog Handle
Blade: Feather #1
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Soap: Lea Stick
Aftershave: Proraso Splash

A lovely 2 pass cold water face lather shave

This is the first time I've tried a Feather blade after nearly a year of going through 40+ other types.

A nice close shave, nice and sharp blade, remind me of 7 O'Clock Yellow's, I might buy 100 at some point.

Only Super Iridium's and Polsilver Iridium's left to try out of all my blades (well Merkur as well, but I probably wont bother with those)

uQIT3gT.jpg

Prep: Cold Water Prep
Razor: Fatboy @ 6 then 4
Blade: NOS Scottish Perma-Sharp
Brush: Erasmic (Supreme?) Bristle
Soap: Tabac
A/S: Home Made batch + Nivea Sensitive balm
Result: First time with the fatboy (from the pass around) and I'm not sure about it at all. It seems milder than my slim at the same settings and there's something..... unusual in it's "bite point". It's not unwieldy, it's just strange. I was left with a bit of roughness as well after my usual 2 passes - probably due to it being a new razor and all.

I obviously need more time with it to make a proper opinion, but boy am I glad I'm getting the chance to try it!

As an aside, I don't think I'm going to be a Tabac fan. Seems to be a lesser lather than I achieve with virtually any other soap.

mulligano said:
[iRazor: Fatboy @ 6 then 4
Blade: NOS Scottish Perma-Sharp
Brush: Erasmic (Supreme?) Bristle
Soap: Tabac

Result: First time with the fatboy (from the pass around) and I'm not sure about it at all. It seems milder than my slim at the same settings and there's something..... unusual in it's "bite point". It's not unwieldy, it's just strange. I was left with a bit of roughness as well after my usual 2 passes - probably due to it being a new razor and all.

I obviously need more time with it to make a proper opinion, but boy am I glad I'm getting the chance to try it!

As an aside, I don't think I'm going to be a Tabac fan. Seems to be a lesser lather than I achieve with virtually any other soap.

Hi there,

Now it's just a suggestion to stay with that same blade for a few more shaves till you figure out any small tweaks you might need. I think it's mainly because of the somewhat rounded head design that gives it the unusual bite point.

it can sometimes take a little time to get the best shave with a new razor. Definitely try that Feather as well.

Martin

Heh, maybe try the soap again at some point. I rarely ever see anything typed about poor performance.

dodgy said:
Hi there,

Now it's just a suggestion to stay with that same blade for a few more shaves till you figure out any small tweaks you might need. I think it's mainly because of the somewhat rounded head design that gives it the unusual bite point.

it can sometimes take a little time to get the best shave with a new razor. Definitely try that Feather as well.

Martin

Heh, maybe try the soap again at some point. I rarely ever see anything typed about poor performance.

Hi Martin,

Maybe I will give the PermaSharp another shave or so - I was aiming to get a couple of blades tried in the Fatboy.

You're right (obviously!) about the head design. One thing I didn't mention was that it seems a lot smoother once you get the "bite" - kind of like the cartridge razors in the sense that it "just works".

As far as the Tabac goes, the actual shave performance is fine. It is the lather itself seems sub par - it doesn't apply to the face as easily as other soaps. I need to "place" chunks on with my hand in places and it seems to "sit" weird on my face. It's hard to describe. I've tried a few different brushes and messed about with the water content too. I might add a drop of glycerin next time I try it.

Thanks for the advice and for the pass around,
Micheal

Timor 5/8" straight
Semogue 830
Proraso pre-shave
NSS Vetyver
Barbershop bay rum
Kiehls face cream

First time using a straight for the whole shave (had previously tried just on my cheeks), managed to acheive an acceptable result with 2 passes, both wtg, then 1 pass with DE atg. No cuts, Timor seemed easy enough to use, but found it difficult to judge angle, and see where my goatee beard was. Tried using it as with the handle fully opened out (as opposed to 90 degrees), and found it much easier. Slight tugging in some places but I put that down to incorrect angle and possibly the soap, which didn't seem to lather as well for me as others that I've tried recently; didn't feel confident enough to go atg, but overall shave was not too bad, certainly on a par with my first DE experience. Now that I've tried this I'm keen to master it!

Back
Top Bottom