SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

Wednesday

White proraso pre.post
Neo custom 2 band
Martin de Candre
Muhle R41 (2009) + Shark SC (1)
Thayers Superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes, smooth, but not as smooth as my EJ mastiff. Maybe I need to get used to the R41 again.

Wednesday 10-26-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Kimson silvertip - Merkur 39C Slant - Feather #4 - Pre JASÖN - The Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB GFT Skin Food Sandalwood - ASL Spark.

Afeitado26-10-11001.jpg

Please Mods, I can't edit the my last post to resize the text. Could you help me? Thanks.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Schick Plus Platinum with Teflon (NOS)
Rivivage SS
SebaMed AS Balsam
Roger and Gallet L'homme 'Sport' EdT

I only have a few of these old blades and I'm kinda hoarding em. Yeah, this one's about as good as the Iridium, which is saying something. These are a bit different than the ones without Teflon, which are also good blades but not quite like the one used today. Heh, the price tag on the package for five blades is 79 cents.

BBS results,

Martin

During the early days of the forum, Tabac figured prominently. Don't see so many mentions now. Gave mine a run out today with a New Forest Tubby 2. I love the scent of Tabac but I don't get the lather so easily as I do with other old favourites like Palmolive and Arko. But the scent will get me back to it again.

Jagger Chatsworth/red personna - as always these days. Then DR Harris Arlington balm. I find the DRH balms a little more greasy than my other balms.

Dinatali said:
Good morning Gentlemen
First Time Posted here , Just seven month with wet shaving :blush:​

Pre : Shower follow by Proraso Pre Shaving cream
Razor : EJ DE89L
Blade : Gellette Sharp Edge yellow
Brush : Semogue 2000 :dodgy:
Soap : Proraso Green :sleepy:
AS : Alum + Proraso Balm :icon_surprised:​

1319611093551.jpg

Well done! Good to see you here.

Wednesday

(pass-around) Fatboy with Gillette 7 o'clock (Yellow)
EJ pure badger
Crabtree & Evelyn vintage pour homme soap
Alum
the Real Shaving Co. after shave balm.

First time with a Fatboy, and a really smooth shave. Enjoyed it more than my '65 slim adjustable. I may just have to go and get one....

Just got back from a week-long holiday with family in Tuscany. As well as some fine adventures, I had splendid shaves each day with the following setup:

Jagger de87
Feather blade
La Toja stick
Simpson Colonel X2L
Acqua di Parma colonia
(cos I was in Italia, natch)

pa200891.jpg

Wednesday.
The Muhle R41 called out. I hadn't used it in a few weeks so it was time.
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Razor: Muhle R41 new
Brush: Muhle badger
Soap: MWF
Blade: Personna red #1
Aftershave: Masters Bay Rum
Yes, after not using it for a while; I was careful, or should a say hesitant, to start. But it was like riding a bicycle, it all came back after the 1st pass. Nice shave. The blade / razor combination was fine.

Thursday

Haven't really posted my other SOTD, however this one was special, my first Single Edge shave.

Ever ready with GEM blade [1]
New Forest Silver Tip
Nanny's Silly Soap Citrus Zinger
Sunbury Boy's Babershop Bay Rum
Boots Maca Root aftershave balm

A beautiful shave, even got a comment from Mrs M about the silky smooth skin! I do love the sound it makes when shaving, but was most disconcerting to begin with!

/Sam

Thursday

Feather AC SS
Feather Proguard Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Proraso Shaving Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother

I seem to have acquired some kind of lurgy. A sore throat which I suspect will morph into a full-blown cold. I needed a wake-up call, so I used the Proraso.

Nice shave. I'm getting better with the SS. Face is sorted, neck slightly less so, but even under the clock this morning it went well. Feels much better than my last go with a Feather AC (the non-folding version), and I suspect that this is owing to the use of the Proguard blades. Thanks Konstantinos.

Ian

Thursday 27th October 2011

All-American Shave (well, very nearly, with a bit of English, Italian and German thrown in).

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow member, I had the opportunity to experience some great new (to me) American products this morning. Marvellous!

Merkur HD Gold
Gillette Bleue Extra: Does anyone know exactly how many different blades Gillette actually produces? The Bleue is the best of those I've tried so far - totally responsive, excellent finish. I'll be buying some more of these!
Somerset Simpson Duke 3 Best
Pre: Floid Sandolor
Van Der Hagen deluxe Shave Soap: In spite of what its name might suggest, this soap is not Dutch, but in fact American, manufactured by Van Der Hagen Enterprises of Texas. This unassuming, gently fragranced peachy puck produced one of the best cushiony lathers I have ever experienced - in fact, I'll kick the hornet's nest and say it's actually better than MWF!
Aqua Velva Ice Sport: I think this was once described as 'The smell of blue-collar America', and I would concur. I'd imagine that this is what Bruce Springsteen splashes on before going to the bar after a hard day at the car wash. This will be great for the summer months, but that's not going to stop me using it in the coming weeks. I believe that member wellboy has some to trade had the moment. My advice - go for it!Made in New York.
Mennen ‘afta' After Shave Skin Conditioner Original: Another US product. Moisturising and fresh, without being greasy. A great complement to the Velva! Made in New York.
Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel (upper face)
Lush Vanishing Cream (upper face)

Back
Top Bottom