SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Le Tuft, Simpson super knot in horn handle w Paua Abalone
Razor: Silversteel Solingen prob by Garantie (funny spelling though)
Soap: MdC
As cologne: Fonex, Malibu
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Nice razor and very nice edge (Cheers Neil!), most likely old school silversteel or maybe plain carbon steel, doesn't feel like stainless steel. I'm happy I found this razor,, it's a keeper!
017800x561.jpg

L'Occitane Verbena soap
Razor The Iron Duke
Simpsons Chubby 2
Vulfix Persian musk
Alum + Propolis
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

Jamie.

Unusual for me to shave two days in a row, even though I have the growth it's not something I do, just a little boredom spurred it on, after using my Feather AC-SS for the last couple of weeks it's certainly made shaving with a straight easier for sure, just not as sharp, a little more cleaning up to do, two pass shave good result, not shave now till saturday or sunday at least.

Gillette Fatboy on 6 and 4
Polsilver blade (first ever try)
Pre-shave: glycerin
Shaving cream: TOBS Shaving Shop

The brush glided over my face whilst making a thick lather - the glycerin really helps.
The Polsilver didn't remove much on 6 on the first pass but on 4 on the second it was really cutting down the stubble. The blades are incredibly smooth. They do feel like the Super Iridiums to which they have been very favourably compared. A few nicks and a bit of soreness where I was touching up a lot to get BBS, which I did. Excellent blade, and I will use more carefully on a lower setting tomorrow.

Thursday:
Merkur Progress
Personna, Red pack
Semogue 830
Old Spice shaving soap stick
Old Spice aftershave
Chanel Cuir De Russie EDT

Brilliant. Vintage Old Spice soap was great (scent and lather) and the Cuir De Russie impresses me every time I put it on.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1946-47 Aristocrat/Schick Plus Platinum with Teflon (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Hermes 'Eau de Cologne' ( original version used as aftershave)
More Hermes used as cologne

If I hadda pick one fixed head razor to use regularly, the Aristo would be the one I'd choose. Not overly aggressive with nice balance and looks.......very good fit for me.

This vintage cologne reminds me of the Dior Eau Sauvage. Nice bright citrus notes with this juice which unfortunately doesn't last very long.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• 1946 Aristo FS 003 (Small).jpg
    1946 Aristo FS 003 (Small).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1946 Aristo FS 007 (Small).jpg
    1946 Aristo FS 007 (Small).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Hermes.jpg
    Hermes.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2
Thursday noon

Feather SS with ProGuard blade (#1)
Frank Shaving Lindisfarne
Nanny's Lavender & Sweet Orange
La Toja Manantiales after shave
Proraso white pre/post cream
Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme EdT

That's all right. Lovely scent and excellent performance from Sharon's soft soap...

Thursday 10-27-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Kimson silvertip - Merkur 39C Slant - 7 O'clock yellow #3 - Pre JASÖN - Edwin Jagger Aloe shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Sul Filo del Rasoio- ASL Opaline.

Afeitado27-10-11-1.jpg

Thursday
Had a flashback and selected the Muhle R41 old head. I now remember why they went to the 'new head'! After the 1st 3 passes I thought that it was the Personna red; switched to a Shark and ran another 3 passes! Ok may be 5! what a difference from yesterday's shave with the 'new head'!
Preshave: Prorazo
Razor: Muhle R41 old head
Blade: Personna red , then Shark
Soap: MWF
Aftershave: Nivea white
A little milder than I usually like.

Re: RE: SOTD 22nd to 28th October 2011

Today, lunchtime:

Feather Artist Club RG
Feather ProGuard blade (4)
Taylor's Lemon and Lime, then La Toja stick
New Forest HMB
Trumper's Limes skin food

A nice two-pass shave, then after contemplation a relather for one more XTG on the neck to get a little closer. Very happy. I think tomorrow I'll go back to three passes, staying up-down-up on the neck without trying to go too sideways.

Again I'm just wiping lather and hair from the razor between strokes, wetting it only at the end of the shave. Again comfortable, close, noisy (which I like), and totally blood-free.

IanM said:
Nice shave. I'm getting better with the SS. Face is sorted, neck slightly less so, but even under the clock this morning it went well. Feels much better than my last go with a Feather AC (the non-folding version), and I suspect that this is owing to the use of the Proguard blades. Thanks Konstantinos.

Agreed - it was Konstantinos's musings on this blade that made me pull the trigger on this buy, I'd've been too afraid of it otherwise! And I LOVE it.

How many passes are you AC guys doing, and which directions?

Thursday:

Merkur HD 34c
Iridium Super
Rod Neep Box wood silvertip
Nanny's French Lavender

Thanks to a generous blade sample from dodgy, this was my first shave using the legendary Iridium.

Smooth and sharp? Oh yes. Lovely shave? Hell yeah :icon_biggrin:

sotd2710.jpg

Pre : Shower with Pre Shaving Oil AOS in Sandelwood
Razor : Merkur 11C
Blade : Merkur
Brush : Semogue 1250 :s
Soap : Palmolive
ASL : Brut Orginal
ASB : AOS Sandelwood

1319726307701.jpg

Dr Rick said:
How many passes are you AC guys doing, and which directions?

Hi Mate.

For me it's one pass North-South on both face and neck, follwed by my Bi-directional XTG pass on my face. To explain that, I go from the middle of my cheek towards the ear, and then from the middle of the same cheek towards my nose. I do the same with a DE. Thats my face done with the AC - no need for an upward, South-North pass.

Back to the neck. For the second pass I have tried a couple of things. First, a straight South-North pass. As my beard grows slightly diagonally on my next, this isn't a full-on ATG pass, but achieves the same result. This takes time, a very light touch and lots of concentration.

The second thing that I've done for the second neck pass is just another North-South pass. This gives a reasonable result, doesn't required as much care/time as the S-N pass, but is nowhere as clean and smooth.

That's it!

Ian

Back
Top Bottom