something for the collectors

Tall_Paul said:
I'd like to find out who has been responsible for driving up the prices of these and apply my size 11 steel toe-capped Doc Martens to his or their testicles repeatedly!

If Minipeace is to be believed, you could usefully start with his.

The idea to bid high as I did was to see how far this chap would go as I spotted him grabbing up these razors.
I'm sorry if you feel I was a bit pushy with my posts but as you can see he really wants them all and I wanted to see how far he was willing to go. It would have made no difference to the outcome as I did not trample on anyone as the bidder was going to win.
I could guarantee if I had bid on the one we watched last night he would have the same limit as the rest.
Nothing wrong with it and I guess he also wins the adjustable version from Germany but you will have a job gaining one at the moment through eBay.
All you have to do to check is look at the bidding list and while you can't see his name you will see the bids counter.
Strangly enough he never spotted the one last night until someone told the person holding the auction but he soon added a bid once it was updated and again you can check that via the bids and the date the auction description was updated.

To be honest why go through eBay. I would have a word with a local antiques dealer if you want one. A good one will trace one for you.

What has happened is forums have talked these and other razors up and like an addiction they force the price up.
Its the same in other worlds goods and service. Angling springs to mind where they created a rather nice market and split the angling up into sections. Carp, barbel, pike, match and therefor up goes the prices from tackle to venues.

While I enjoy a chat and I don't mean this badly but niche forums can be bad news news at times and again not wanting to be rude or upset people but the general public only have their selves to blame. It's a bit like house prices where at one stage people out bid others and paid over the odd.

As I said I'm sorry if I'm come across strongly.

Marcel said:
Damn, I should sell mine. Pity I don't have a cased one. No, I'm not joking!

I wonder when they will bottom out. You never know you may get a nice price at the moment but to be honest if I had one I would keep it as its history.
I love to think who has owned antiques and to think of what has passed since it was made.

Minipeace said:
Marcel said:

I wonder when they will bottom out. You never know you may get a nice price at the moment but to be honest if I had one I would keep it as its history.
I love to think who has owned antiques and to think of what has passed since it was made.
You're probably right, but I haven't used mine (a Standard) in a while. Although the shave is alright, I like other razors better. I'm not that much of a collector anyway. On the other hand, I will never own one again at these prices and they're beautiful razors.

Marcel said:
Minipeace said:
Marcel said:

You're probably right, but I haven't used mine (a Standard) in a while. Although the shave is alright, I like other razors better. I'm not that much of a collector anyway. On the other hand, I will never own one again at these prices and they're beautiful razors.

Keep it, enjoy it.

maybe i have no taste but they look big, hefty and ugly to me.

you stick a fat boy, superspeed or even a modern razor in your hand and you know what it will do and they look nice, shiny and simple.

those darwins look to antique to me and even though ive a nice stand in my bathroom cabinet thats more for ease of use than displaying razors

While not a Darwin this little razor just went for over £900

Gillette 66

I see the two bidders played a dangerous game here and again the chap who won the other Darwins bided but lost out.

What's so special about this one? Is it the year and packaging?

Back
Top Bottom