something for the collectors

Hi
I was the one who the bidder beat. I noticed this bidder is snapping up a few and watched him on the earlier deluxe model and noticed he was bidding on this.
He's one that adds a fair bit to the auto system at the last minute so I had put on £720 which was a real gamble as I think it's worth maybe £400 to £500 max but I knew this other chap was going to bid and I thought I would take that risk.
He no doubt added with just a few seconds left a huge amount thinking its a safe win around the £550 mark like his others but this time I had put a fair bit on so he ended up with £740.
Thankfully the gamble on my part paid off as the highest bidder before him was around the £450 which is a fair price as it was in good nick and that this guy bided above my max limit.
I would have been happy with £460 but would have been gutted if I ended up paying £700.
As I said it was a huge risk but I know this bidder was snapping them up so I thought to hell lets make it interesting.

flip-68 said:
haha - playing with fire there. i did that once and ended up buying a cd i already had.

welcome to TSR

Lol I know, it could have back fired. Thanks for the welcome I will post on the welcome forum and introduce my self :icon_razz:

Minipeace said:
Hi
I was the one who the bidder beat. I noticed this bidder is snapping up a few and watched him on the earlier deluxe model and noticed he was bidding on this.
He's one that adds a fair bit to the auto system at the last minute so I had put on £720 which was a real gamble as I think it's worth maybe £400 to £500 max but I knew this other chap was going to bid and I thought I would take that risk.
He no doubt added with just a few seconds left a huge amount thinking its a safe win around the £550 mark like his others but this time I had put a fair bit on so he ended up with £740.
Thankfully the gamble on my part paid off as the highest bidder before him was around the £450 which is a fair price as it was in good nick and that this guy bided above my max limit.
I would have been happy with £460 but would have been gutted if I ended up paying £700.
As I said it was a huge risk but I know this bidder was snapping them up so I thought to hell lets make it interesting.

It was for a charity as well wasn't it? I bet they'll be thanking you this morning!

Let's just hope whoever this person is they don't bid on any more and prices return to sane levels! Can't believe I didn't buy the mint boxed Deluxe at a BIN of £350 at Xmas as I thought it was too much!!

Yes it was for a charity which is a nice ending.

Yes the pricing is mad, he would have won this for about £460 if I had not bid. I bet he put £1000 on the auto bid but as he had shown his hand in this auction and a previous one it was a sign he was going to do the same. His bid history confirms it too as it looks like its how he wins his stuff this way.
He had just hours before purchased a deluxe model for just under £700, this time he had to pay more for the standard version.
I was watching that deluxe and was surprised at the final amount which is where I discovered him and I started to look hard and thought ok I'm up for this lol.
I think this went for near double what it was really worth in my opinion and the bubble will burst at some point.
There was another Darwin on ebay about a month ago and a gentleman was very open on another forum about how he privately contacted the seller and offered money and they removed the sale which had a few up in arms.
I'm new to all this but even I can see how crazy it is.

Minipeace said:
I'm new to all this but even I can see how crazy it is.

Can I believe what I'm reading? You deliberately drive up the price of ebay items for your own amusement? You went after one chap you don't know and never mind who else you caught in your trap? God preserve us from crazy makers.

Have you grasped that this was a charity auction, old boy? Driving up the price for one's own amusement is clearly idiotic but in this case a deserving charity has benefited immensely. God preserve us indeed!

Edit: I've since had a bit of a rethink on this and whilst it is good that a charity benefits with the higher amount, Minipeace's actions are ultimately deplorable as it simply not the spirit in which an auction should be entered into. Such an attitude helps to drive prices higher for those genuine collectors without such deep pockets as the winner obviously has. Whether or not this fellow can afford to bid endlessly for such items due to his own personal pot of gold, it shouldn't be looked upon as a game or entertainment just to see how much extra you can wring out of him. A motive like this is in very poor taste and ill becoming of those true gents on here who may well find themselves unable to attain the experience of using, owning and caring for a historic piece of shaving equipment. A little more we and a little less me.....

Oh no this chap was a guarantee and yes for £460 I would have been happy but I did my homework and knew he was on to this.
It's an auction and you pay and take the risk. Like many things in life you way up what the outcome is going to be like a chess game and then you add the it may just happen into your calculation.
Now sadly there is money out there and as I had beaten all other bets at the £460 mark I see no problem.
The chap bidding showed his hand like a poker game and perhaps if he was clever he may have had it for a lower cost or I may have won it at a much higher cost.
The gamble was to see who wanted it the most and as I said he had showed his hand before so I knew he was going to bid up.
You can see who he is if you do some work and you can see what he's purchased.
The winner got his razor and the charity got a nice sum.

You'd just better hope he doesn't come on here!!

To be fair, I only ever bid as much as I am willing to pay and if it goes for more than that than so be it. I wonder a minty Old, and lost a Streamline by a pound yesterday so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Would be nice if he did :)

I would imagine he's a member of a forum hence the interest but maybe one of the forums across the pond.

I've lost a lot on eBay. There is always someone willing to pay huge amounts on collectables like centrepins which are favourite of mine and the like. when they are rare they are tough ones to win.

Tall_Paul said:
Well the 'hidden' one is at £155 with an hour to go so it's safe to say there'll be no bargain there.
What do you reckon it will go for TP? if it goes for less than half of the other one it will be a bargain :icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom