Shave of the day, week commencing Saturday 10/09/2011

Right so this was my second attempt at DE shaving (had to let a scab heal on my chin- had a "look presentable for work shave" mid week with a disposable going around my scab! LOL)

BLKKNIGHT Pif'ed me a Superspeed to have a go with which was washed and cleaned (thanks again mate)

Prep: Hot water splash/soak
Razor: Gillette Superspeed
Blade: Shark super
Brush: shop bought jobby
Soap: Palmolive stick
Post-shave: nivea for men

Ok well the Superspeed felt a little lighter than the Aristocrat that I used on my first attempt, but still a good weight.
Went with the shark still following advice.
This time I feel was spot on with technique, though I did feel a little bit apprehensive/nervous respecting what the blades can do to my face.
First pass was fine and found the neck, under the nose and the chin the tricky parts
Second pass was great to tidy up and cover missed spots.
Overall it turned out to be a good shave, though took me a while as i made sure i didnt use too much pressure
I can only compare the derby and shark right now, and the shark didnt feel very sharp in comparison (though i have used a different razor)
Quite a good shave, and felt maybe i could get the babys bum smooth shave with a third pass.
Think I will stick with the superspeed for now, and experiment with different blades

Monday
No Name German Razor - Palmolive soap - Simpson 57 - Alum - Witch Hazel - Old Spice Whitewater
2yu0cn6.jpg

Nice and clean but picked up a couple of nicks along the way. Not done that for a while, guess it was just one of those days.​

dodgy_d said:
Right so this was my second attempt at DE shaving
BLKKNIGHT Pif'ed me a Superspeed to have a go with which was washed and cleaned (thanks again mate)

Think I will stick with the superspeed for now, and experiment with different blades

Hi there,

If I may offer some advice, it would be to stay with the same set up for two weeks or even a little longer. No sense in trying other blades until your technique is decent, and that's how long it's gonna take.

The idea behind using one type of blade in the beginning is to develop a reference point for the next one....and so on. Trying new blades gets much easier and faster down the road, but right now you won't get a good read on what blade fits best.

Just thought I'd mention what works pretty well for most people,

Martin

Tuesday

Muhle R41 (2011 model)
Astra Platinum Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Taylors Sandalwood Cream
Bulldog asb

Another shave, and another improvement. The Astra blade, which I have recently tried in another razor and found to be very good, works better in the R41 than the Swede. Also, I think I'm finding the angle more often.

Ian

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Le Tuft - horn, abalone and Simpson knot
Razor: Bocker, Griplus
Soap: MdC
AS: Williams, Aqua Velva
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Such a nice blade, but you got to be careful, she's got temprament :D
001800x592.jpg

... and som pitch dark, earthy and strong:
002800x794.jpg

L'Occitane Verbena soap
Merkur 34C-HD
Gillette Super Thins Blade
NF Tubby 1
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
Alum + Whitch Hazel
Duru Lemon Cologne.

Jamie

Two days growth wiped out in two pass shave, with minor touch up, still keeping the small goatee, dont know what it is lately but I cannot win a single straight razor on the bay, even though the ones i'm looking at, need some work they seem to be going for way above what they are worth, well the people buying them must start to slow up before long, allowing poor me to get hold of a few

001m.jpg

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
La Toja stick, face lathered with
New Forest Tubby 2.
Edwin Jagger DE89, with
Gillette 7OC green (2)
Trumper's Coral skin food
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cologne

Neck irritation not bad yesterday considering I was in collar and tie for twelve hours. Overdid minimalism on neck this morning - one pass left visible hair (barely) and I had to return to it. Nice shave in the end.

All change:

Omega boar brush
Palmolive stick
Gillette NEW No. 88 two piece
Personna red
Babershop Bay Rum

Not my favourite blades, but still a very smooth three pass shave.

Gillette aluminium-handled Tech
Gillette Bleue Extra blade (second use)
TOBS Almond

Nice shave this morning. Less aggressive razor than I usually use (especially as I have used an SE for the last three days) and matched with this excellent blade I got an excellent 3 pass shave with minimal irritation on the neck and under the chin.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
IK SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet 'Vetyver' EdT (vintage juice)

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom