Shave of the day, week commencing Saturday 10/09/2011

Sunday Evening 'means a lie in tomorrow' shave

Needs to be close so I decided to dance with my razor of death AKA 1906 Canadian Old.

MWF and hot sponge prep
Gillette Old
Gillette Superthin (4) - there is no way I could use this razor with a new blade
Vulfix Bodger
MWF
Witchhazel
Trumper Lime skin food

Decided to try applying the MWF like a soap stick (after a tip I saw on here) and it worked excellently. Think I may continue using it like this.

The shave from the Old was as vicious as last time. I think if it's going to be three passes it'll have to be 2 WTG and 1 ATG.

BUT, it just nicks so easily. You don't realise until blood is welling up! I have a couple of beauts (one on my chin and one on my cheek) that have required multiple alum applications.

This is one beast of a razor! It'll be great if you had thick stubble and non-sensitive skin.

And in other news I missed out on an Eclipse Red Ring on Fleabay by 27 sodding pence! :mad::mad:

Mind you, this is probably a good thing as I'm skint this month anyway!

Monday, 12.Set.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Kimson Vu Silvertip
J&E Atkinson's I Coloniali w/ mango oil
MÜHLE R89
Gillette Bleue Extra
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Bottega Verde Uomo Dopobarba Riparatore

P1050085.jpg

Lazy Sunday, no shave.

Monday:

NF super badger
Tabac soap
Ball end Old type/Feather
FT Rocket/Astra SP

Note to self: don't attempt to get four shaves out of a Feather. The first pass felt a bit rough and I ended up with a few weepers, so I finished off with the Rocket/Astra, which already had a couple of shaves on it. Ditched both blades, so time for a new combo tomorrow.

Sunday Evening:

Decided to test out having an evening shave rather than my usual morning one. That way I can have a leisurely shave without worrying about getting thrown out the bathroom by Mrs Force and the junior Forces, plus means a quick shower and a scent top up in the mornings....

Must admit it was quite relaxing.

EJDE89
Personna
Vulfix Mix
Maca Root Cream
One planet balm
Jovan Musk this morning

Monday

Muhle R41 (2011 model)
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Taylors Sandalwood Cream
Bulldog asb

Took even more care, this morning, and got a more comfortable shave compared to yesterday. It's still the razor of death, though!

Ian

I broke all of the rules for today's shave

New brush – new Tubby 2 – thanks fido its bloody good!

New razor – Muhle R101 (old head)

New blade – 1st time with a feacher

New Cream – St James founders reserve from Creightons

The result?

Best. Shave. Ever!

I took my time with the feather, and ended up with no cuts. The brush and cream produced loads of lather, and the razor, although it felt a little light at first, was great. I think I may pair it with the handle from my DE89 for a bit more heft in future.

Roll on the morning!

Monday

First use of Cella, yesterday and today. It's a cream rather than a soft soap. Even creamier than Castle Forbes. Lathered well, strong almond/marzipan scent. Left skin nice and soft. It's very good value at the special rate of £6 for TSR members from Connaught. But I wouldn't pay much more bearing in mind all that's on offer elsewhere.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
FH Tech/Stahly frankenrazor/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
SebaMed AS Balsam
Roger and Gallet 'Vetyver' EdT (vintage)

Tried another vintage blade today and it was good. Not quite as sharp as the Iridium, but still smooth and comfortable.

No idea when this version of the R&G Vetyver was produced, but I'd guess it was a while ago. On the lighter side with some citrus notes....pretty good juice.

BBS results,

Martin

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
Taylor's Lemon and Lime cream, face lathered with
New Forest High Mountain Badger.
Edwin Jagger DE89, with
Gillette 7OC green (1)
Trumper's Limes skin food
Trumper's GFT cologne

A lovely shave. It remains to be seem what the bottom of the hairline will look like when I take my collar off...

Monday 09-12-11. MUSIC: Boston_LP_Boston (1976).

images

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Handmade brush TGN Finest two bands 30X53 - Merkur 38C - Gillette Platinum #2 - Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL English Leather.

Afeitado12-09-11001-1.jpg

Gillette Fatboy on no. 4
Proraso pre-and post-shaving cream
Mama Bear's Lime Ice soap
Mystery blade

In July I moved home and recently found in amongst my shaving stash a blade wrapped in a plain white wrapper and no brandings on the blade. The wrapper smelt musty like vintage blades do but couldn't figure out what it could be as I have very few vintage ones.
It's probably one of the Israeli Shaving Shack ones which has come out of a half empty blades container and been mixed in a container with some vintage ones, giving it a faux-vintage feel.

Shaved well.

I usually use the above Proraso post-shave only, but decided I might benefit with a bit more prep. Certainly with the Lime Ice soap made my face feel like it had been stuck in a freezer for half an hour! May have to try it as a "pre" again.

Monday

Gillette 58
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green
NF 2213
BS Macca Root Cream
E45 Cream

Great shave today, no irritation, no nicks these gillette green are good much smoother than the shark SS that was causing redness. only complaint was a few rough patches on my neck where I didn't quite get smooth enough.

Back
Top Bottom