Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 29th Jan 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
5406849597_1a5556c6cf_o.jpg

Muhle R41 / Astra SP
Muhle M99 Silver Tip

Pecksniff Fern, ASB & EdT

Had the soap and ASB for a year or so, but haven't used it much as I wasn't able to find a matching 'cologne' in the local TKMaxx. Nipped in last week to find they'd restocked the Pecksniff so bought the EdT and fished out my earlier purchases to give them another try. Great stuff, but it's taken a few days to get the hang of the soap.

MWF Hand Soap, GFT Limes SF as prep, GFT Limes SS,
New Forrest 2203, Merkur 33c/Feather(2), Alum Block,
GFT Limes SF, L'Occitan EdT.

SOTDFeb1st2011.jpg

Another day off for the straight! I have a nasty gouge under my chin (??? :roll: ) and I felt motoring around it would be easier with the DE.

Shavemac silvertip : ERN 6/8 "Crown&Sword" : O Melhor SC : Nivea sensitive ASB : Molinard, France EdT

P2012361.jpg

Why coticule and BBW? ... There are not a logical answer, the synthetic are efficient as a well engineered stuff,....but those natural stones are not as easy to be explained as their features, once I started to know them I started to love them.
Glen (gssixgun) said the truth: "Shaptons are an exact science, and Coticules along with every other natural stone is a romance"

Have a great day

Tuesday, 02-01-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Rooney 1/2 silvertip - Gillette Aristocrat Junior - Shark #1 - Pre JASÖN Shave Therapy - Coates Sandalwood shaving cream - Alum block - Gel JASÖN 6 in 1 + Skin Food Sandalwood + ASL SPARK .

Afeitado01-01-11006.jpg

Afeitado01-01-11007.jpg

Tuesday

Shave-ware

Razor: Apollo, with Derby blade
Brush: Buffalo Pure Badger
Lather: T&H 1805
Aftershave: Proaso ASB and Blue Floid
other: Vintage Rice Bowl

Result: The old Buffalo brush laid the lather on and the Apollo and Derby combo took it off along with my two day old beard.
A splash of Blue and I’m feeling good...soft and smooth.
Have a great day gents!

P1010068-1.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row 208 badger
1958 Toggle/Iridium
J Peterman 1903 SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'homme 'Sport' EdT

Third day in a row with this razor. Heh, that's more than I figured it would be used. The Toggle still doesn't fit me like the fatboy, but I'm enjoying it more than in the past. Who woulda thunk it!

Just for the hell of it, a few days ago I dug out this 5 year old SR brush. It's a medium grade badger, and I used this thing constantly for a good six months back then. It's still in great shape, and the knot is much larger than the other brushes I've acquired since. It's fun using that thing again, now that I know a bit more about brushes.

BBS results,

Martin

Monday

5/8 J Gleave & Sons Hollow Ground
Cella soap
Simpsons Commodore X1
Lloyds Chemist Witch Hazel
L'Oreal Men Expert 24hr Hydrating AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Tuesday

5/8 J Gleave & Sons Hollow Ground
Mama Bear's Aged Spice soap
Simpsons Commodore X1
Lloyds Chemist Witch Hazel
L'Oreal Men Expert 24hr Hydrating AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Decided to shave with the same razor & 'software' for a week in order to tame the 5/8 J Gleave, which is a very stiff and very sharp straight (looks like a quarter hollow) and one which I've nearly always managed to cut myself with. It handles very differently from my other lighter, much hollower grinds. Then the Mama Bear soap arrived from Sonny, so I just had to use that rather than the Cella I was going to use all week! Then there's a sample he sent too that I'll use tomorrow - then it's back to the Cella, honest!

Tuesday

ESPA shave mud (as pre)
NF silvertip
MWF
Muhle R41 + GST (2)
Profs Alcoholic Lime A/S

result: very smooth. The A/S is very good, but man, did it burn like a blast furnace! Think low/non alcohol splashes are better for me.

Wednesday - Epic Shaving Fail

KOS Azor M Razor
KOS Shave Oil
KOS Shave Gel
Thayers and Boots moisturiser

Thought I'd try the modern way to shave, ouch I mean really ouch, painful neck that looks like a plucked chicken and a really painful face with lots of weepers. My face is going to look a mess for the rest of the week.

What they wrote about the products seemed to make sense - You don't need a rich thick lather because anything not immediately sat on the skin is a waste rubbish.

Tuesday

'40s Superspeed & Wilkinson Sword U.K. (#1) > NF2201 & La Toja > La Toja after shave > L'Oreal MenExpert balm > Paco Rabanne EdT

Show more

- Shaves during the last couple of weeks have been pretty messy, with lots of neck redness and irritation. Determined to sort the mess out once and for all, I sat down yesterday, went through the 'Shaving Help' section of TSR, watched about a dozen of Mantic59's videos and then chose two different setups that will take me through the next couple of weeks.

- Briefly, the constant and simultaneous change of basic parameters (blade, razor, soap) of my shaving setup, together with repeated strokes over the same area and also applying more pressure than required to the neck while shaving had resulted in the aforementioned condition. Basic mistakes, but as I am still a newbie, I do learn and hopefully things will improve.

- And things actually did improve, this morning, straight away. As the Superspeed & Wilkie and the La Toja had given me trouble-free shaves before, their combo, together with correct prep and technique, gave me a nice and clean shave today. All I need to see now is to get consistently similar good shaves from the same setup, and then alter one parameter in order to observe any differences.

- Did a test lather with Steve's soap (lime) recently and it actually seems to be very good in all respects. As soon as I get around to using it, following the correction and good progress of my shave routine, I'll post some more comments.

Hot Shower
Loccitane Face Wash
Slim Adjustable
Superthin#1
NF2221
T and H Almond Cream
Loccitane Face Splash
Loccitane ASB

First outing with Fidos New Brush and what a brush it is face lathered with the T and H cream and i think i would have had enough lather to keep me shaving all morning.
Thanks again Peter
Another fine shave with the slim and superthin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom