Shave of the day W/C 4/06/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
mstrunck said:
Mikael said:
This blade is such a nice and delicate one, it sings like nothing else on the strop and today she sang the Swedish National Anthem :D

Is that what you refer to as inconsistent stropping? :lol: :lol: :lol:

/Max

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tuesday

Good morning.

I've stopped straight shaving for a while, too lazy and tired in the mornings.
The irritation in the neck came back, of course; one more proof there's nothing more natural for the skin in shaving other than with a straight.
For those who have not given a go to Bulgari's "Black" fragrance, they should. It's a powerful yet refined scent.

Gillette Tuckaway : Wilkinson (U.K.) : New Forest 2206 : Barbus : Floid balsamo : Bulgari Black

SOTD_07Jun.jpg

Tuesday

Red Tip & Shark SS(2)
T&H Almond & Ehsan
Pinaud Clubman

Decent shave, just a few red blotches / irritation round the chin which are causing me a little concern. Whether caused by yesterday's shave and exasperated this morning, I don't know. I do know however that the Clubman with it's high-alcohol which usually zings like a bastard over any dodgy areas reported back nothing :?

Tuesday

Merkur 38C
Bolzano Superinox Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Soap
Bulldog asb

Same gear as yesterday as I'm trying out the Bolzano blade.

Speaking of the Bolzano blade, I don't think I'll be shaving with one again. I don't know if there is a huge difference between the German and Italian versions, and I'm not sure which I have (Italian, I think) but descriptions of them that I have read of "sharp and smooth" are way off. One reviewer even described them as being like a Gillette Swede, which is, in my opinion, nonsense.

Ian

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: SOC
Razor: C V Heljestrand frameback
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Lacoste Challange
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
005800x682.jpg

Tuesday

Hot towl
Gillette Fatboy (Setting 4)
Feather double edge razor blade
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (Rose)
Alum
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Trumpers skin food (Coral)
D R Harris Pink Aftershave Lotion

Another two pass shave (WTG and XTG) turned up the fatboy to 4 just to see what the shave was going to be like.

Was not disapointed ;-)

Tuesday:

Red tip
Feather
New Forest tortoiseshell chunky
Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood cream + Palmolive stick
Bulldog asb

I haven't used a Feather for a while - it felt super-smooth in the Redtip, and 3 passes yielded gloriously clean results, with a couple of weepers as a reminder to observe the correct manners with the ninja blade :)

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
Pomco slant/Iridium
Ik SS
Barbershop Bay Rum AS (thanks for the generous gift Steve)

For some reason, this slant fits me better than others I've tried. It's a little milder(which I like), and very easy to use without paying much attention to detail. Felt a lot like using an Aristocrat, which is a good thing, and it does a better than average job on my neck (a bonus).

Nice having some of Steve's concoction in the arsenal......very good product and a much appreciated gift.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Marshall Fields.jpg
    Marshall Fields.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 40
It seemed sensible to take one of my travel brushes with me this week, in its tube. After this mornings shave I wondered why I bother. A "normal" brush hardly takes up much more room. When on holiday one has even more time to enjoy a leisurely shave, so in future, travel brushes stay at home in the collection. On a positive note, I took my Merkur 38 which hasn't been used much lately - had a great shave with a red personna.

Another shave this evening before The Merchant of Venice. Will make a change from cricket.

Tuesday, 07-06-11. Italian Flag.

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Morris & Forndran two bands 28x56 - Edwin Jagger DE89L - Gillette Platinum #2 - Pre 3P - Proraso sensitive shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Sul Filo del Rasoio - ASL Proraso.

Afeitado07-06-11-1.jpg

1hqfcz.jpg

Soft shaving soap: Harris Arlington
Brush: Shavemac D01 30/70
Razor: T'Hana Tombow'H (?!), 13/16, Japan, Coti/Unicot, Thuri, Neil Miller linen/buffalo
A/S balm: Harris Arlington

MWF Hand Soap,
GFT Violet SC,
Simpson Special,
Gotta 7/16,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Coral SF,
Davidoff Cool Water.

SOTDJune7th2011.jpg

My mother pulled me to the side to show me something she had found while throwing out some old stuff!

The last time I layed eyes on this wee chap was in the 70s while learning to shave. Also learnt how sharp razor sharp was!!

As I write this my hones, even my pasted strop, are at the other side of the country!

Considering that this Gotta hasn't seen the light of day for 35 plus years 50 or so laps on the Latigo produced a shave with just a little hint of tugging.

A nice wee razor...............but wee. 7/16 Grand for under the nose etc but if I hadn't shaved for a day or two this is not the razor to turn to!

Tuesday

Joseph Elliot Wedge, Boots Cream, Vie Long, Alum, Jovan Musk
nmi5vm.jpg

Just finished cleaning up and honing this one, a very good shave but I think I might be able to get the edge a bit keener.
I'll pop it back on the hones before the next shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom