Shave of the day W/C 4/06/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr Rick said:
Still haven't got the hang of a pure badger brush, it seems. Back to the Mantic vids, I guess.

Don't despair Dr Rick, a badger brush takes about 2 weeks to start getting nicely broken in, at only 2 shaves old it won't be performing at its best yet. It'll be right soon when it starts to hold more moisture.

Tuesady

Semogue Owners Club Badger
Merkur 34G HD
Medical Prep Personna (4)
Palmolive Shaving Stick
Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Pour Homme A/S
L'Occitane Bavx A/S/B

A great shave today.I always seem to get a better shave if i have 2 days of growth.

Mark

I had a fee more goodies from Prof B too.

Razor: Mergress
Blade: Astra (1)
Brush: Chubby
Soap: Prof B Black & White (B&W) Glycerine with B&W shave oil as a prep oil
Scent: a quick spray of the B&W cologne.

A fanstastic shave. The scent of B&W is so addictive!
Happy :D

Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Derby
Brush: Vulfix 404 (first use in anger)
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat
Scent: Prof B Coconut

I think the bodger will need a bit of breaking in. It gave me adequate, but not excellent, lather.

However, this was the first of my 'daily' shaves where time is limited and I was very pleased with how it went. One WTG pass then one XTG\ATG pass and I got a very reasonable result.

Only one bad(ish) nick too.

All good so far. :D

Tall_Paul said:
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Derby
Brush: Vulfix 404 (first use in anger)
I think the bodger will need a bit of breaking in. It gave me adequate, but not excellent, lather.

I found the same. Two months later, it's a great brush for both soap and cream.

Fido said:
It seemed sensible to take one of my travel brushes with me this week, in its tube. After this mornings shave I wondered why I bother. A "normal" brush hardly takes up much more room. When on holiday one has even more time to enjoy a leisurely shave, so in future, travel brushes stay at home in the collection. Merchant of Venice.

Totally agree with you there, holiday shaves are great. Without the usual distractions and no time constraints I am much more relaxed. It is for this reason that I find it hard to compromise when packing, it is either minimal so I can carry on a plane or the full kit goes with me.

Still sticking with my basic set up, fingers crossed will have a posting in the acquisitions thread soon.....

SOTD 6.6.11

Prep - Glycerine soap and hot cloth,

Face Lather Boots Cool Cologne, 3 Passes with EJ 89L, Derby on first use, With, Across and then Against in places. Finished with a little splash of Witch Hazel my first truly comfortable BBS.

Witch Hazel smell is getting to me a bit, I may go to the health food shop and see if they have any essential oils that smell nice and add a drop or two into the bottle.

5809429498_36e1c553c9.jpg

Monday

5/8 Friedrich Herder Solingen
TOBS Lemon & Lime cream
Kent BK4
Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Jasper Conran Man AS Balm

Tuesday

1958 Gillette Fatboy
Shark blade
Boots Original shave stick
Kent BK4
Gillette Series Intense Cooling AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve AS

Tuesday

GB Kent T4
D R Harris Arlington SS
Filarmonica 13, black scales
Castle Forbes Lime Oil ASB
Terre d' Hermes EdT

Attachments

• DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 20
Tuesday Evening:

• - 195Xs Gillette Rocket HD
      - Vie Long 12705 Horsehair
      - Silver Star Super stainless
      - Classic Shave Lilac puck shave soap
      • * in U. S. of A.-made Old Spice mug with improvised cap[/list:u]
        - MICAlum stick
        - Humphreys Lilac witch hazel
        - Canadian Booster Co.'s Barber Shop Classic Lilac ASL[/list:u][/list:u]

SotD07-06-2011-006.png

Thanks for the encouragement, Canuck - that's something I didn't know!

Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime, bowl lathered - definitely my go-to product so far, I just love it.
New Forest Tubby 2 brush
EJ DE89, Boots blade (5)
Nivea balm

Mixed up some rubbish lather, abandoned it and started over. This time I put a bit more pressure on while building the lather - I have been doing it with a feather-light touch, this time I just pushed enough to open the brush a little. The difference was staggering - for the first time I had lather that really looked like the stuff in the vids, albeit not so much of it, and that looked "right" on my face too.

An excellent shave.

Hope this isn't seen as boasting but I just had to post this one in here. I had the best shave of my life this morning and what has made it even better is that it was carried out using products I had made myself!

Hot face soak
Gillette Fatboy with Shark SS (Day 2)
Basic TOBS Badger Brush
Billy's Pre-shave oil (adapted from Teiste's Youtube video)
Billy's Bay Essential Oil Shaving Soap
Billy's Orange and Patchouli Aftershave
Billy's Orange Cologne

I had a go at a shaving soap a little time ago and, whilst the shave was good and I got a decent lather, I found the lather didn't last that long so some tweaks had to be done. Over the weekend, I eventually found time to have another go and made some adjustments, and put together a 175ml tub of Bay Soap, and left it a couple of days to settle. Shaved with it this morning and, even with my old brush I was using, it lathered like an absolute demon, lovely and creamy, gave me enough for four passes and the lather lasted really well on my face, with a lovely clovey Bay smell coming from the soap. No nicks, lovely glide and my face is feeling and smelling great.

I'm buzzing!

Will be making myself another couple of flavours this weekend, as well as another couple of aftershaves/colognes. I also have all the ingredients I want to put my own Bay Rum AS together (and a nice, big airtight jar), so will be having a go at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom