Saturday
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Semogue OC, two band
Razor: C V Heljestrand no n4
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Ogallala Lime and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
New brush, a little funky scent, but very nice lather (especially being the first go, I didn´t bother to test lather :roll:).
005800x666.jpg

Saturday, 4.Jun.2011

Pre: Emulsión Myrsol
Semogue SOC 2-band
Provence Santé savon à raser
Edwin Jagger DE86
Personna Continente
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber
Floïd Vigoroso

P1040021.jpg

Saturday
Gold Dollar 208, Maca Root, NF 2213, Alum, Givenchy Gentleman AS
2wpp2ck.jpg

Off to a wedding later so a nice leisurely shave, liking that GD whatever anyone else might say :p

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
vintage Pomco slant/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'homme 'Sport' EdT

All this recent talk about slants got me off the fence on finally trying this new to me Pomco version. I've used a few other slants such as Merkur, Hoffritz and D. Corrado (made by Dovo), and this one looked to be about the same as far as design goes.

I gotta say, I have never quite understood the idea behind this razor. Yeah, I know about the cutting ona slanted angle thing, but it just doesn't seem to make that much of a difference in the shave itself. I'm in the minority here, but that's how it feels to me.

The slant isn't especially aggressive, although it does a nice job of providing a little closer than usual shave. My technique stays the same as a regular head razor would be, so no problems there. I might be a little more cautious, but maybe it's because I keep hearing about how these can bite if I'm not careful. Truthfully though, I don't feel like the slant is any more dangerous than many other razors. Certainly, I pay less attention to detail than with any of the open comb types I'll use.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Pomco 005 (Small).jpg
    Pomco 005 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 141
Saturday:

TOBS lavender cream
Merkur 34C HD
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (3)
Ogalalla limes and peppercorns

The cream looks odd in the pic, but it's decanted into a little tupperware tub. I snapped the top of the TOBS tube off while tightening it a few weeks back.

Feather AS-D1 +Feather blade
simpsons Chubby 2
Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum
L'Occitane Bavx balm + Propolis
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

Lovely day and a lovely shave, the freshly cut Rose perks of the job looking after my neighbours house and garden while she's away in Australia. After cutting the Rose using it in the photo, then later in a very caculating way I hand the Roses to my wife as a romantic gesture, then I can do no wrong for the entire weekend, result! :D

Jamie.

untitledn-3-2.png

Razor:J.A.Henckels Friodur 17 1/2
Strop: Ambrose "corto" Spanish Horse (25/50)
Brush:Semogue SOC superbadger
lather: Panama 1924+Cyiril R. Salter French Vetiver
AS: Weleda
EdT:Achiles Brito, Lavanda
Picture:
P6043552.jpg

Saturday, 06-04-11.

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Morris & Forndran two bands 28x56 - Gillette Aristocrat 21 - Astra Superior Stainless #1 - Pre La Chinata - Sir Irisch Moos shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Sir Irisch Moos - ASL Sir Irisch Moos.

Afeitado04-06-11003-1.jpg

Hot shower, Imperial Leather foamburst
Vulfix 404 mix
Proraso soft soap (thanks IanM!)
EJ DE89, Boots blade (2)
Nivea sensitive ASB

The Proraso seemed to lather up pretty well and easily, but wasn't as nice or as thick on my face as the others I've used lately. Since this was my first try with it - or with any soft soap - that could very easily be a technique issue.

Went three passes - the usual down, up, ATG on the face, and down, diagonally ATG, and fully ATG on the neck, plus some touching-up. This razor is certainly much "safer" than the Boots one - I feel like I would struggle to nick myself if I tried, whereas the Boots is quite the opposite. I'm trying to figure out whether it's taking off less with each pass or not - I'm not certain it is.

It will be interesting to compare the Merkur HD when I get to it in a few days (and, for that matter, the still untried Slim-Twist). Then it'll be time to start trying other blades!

Saturday PM

Waitrose unscented glycerine soap
Hot flannel
Merkur 34c
Shark SS (2)
Kent BK2
Palmolive Classic cream, bowl-lathered
Boots Freshwood AS
Nivea Sensitive ASB

3 passes: WTG, XTG, XTG.

Result: DFS, no irritation.

Slightly rushed tonight; friends coming tomorrow. Good shave, though - I'd forgotten just how much I like Palmolive. :shave

Saturday

Merkur 38C Razor
Iridium Super Blade
New Forest 2201
D.R. Harris Lavender Soap
Bulldog asb

Early shave, but have been out all day. The Harris soap is very nice (thanks Vinny).

Ian

only my third-ever real shave, and first with new brush and soap!

boiler fail, so not-quite-hot-enough bath.
vulfix 660P (medium), couldn't get a proper thick lather out of the trumpers eucris soap (but love that smell!). poor technique or unrealistic expectations?
went slowly and lightly with my dovo shavette (derby blade), managed to get all around my face with the grain and neaten up a couple of corners without cutting myself (first time), so quit while i was a head (still had a head), rubbed down with some alum and rewarded myself with a cold beer and a torpid international aginst switzerland. my wife wandered in and told me what an improvement this shaving has made to my skin.

overall, feeling pretty pleased. apart from Bent scuffing that open goal.

how do you guys consistently take such great photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom