Status
Not open for further replies.
Merkur 38C
Derby blade
New Forest 2221
Trumper Sandalwood Cream
Clinique scruffing lotion
Trumper Lime Skin Food

My last BBS for a week. I'd give it a 6/7 out of 10. Found a couple of patches that I hadn't shaved particularly well (certainly not BBS).

My normal shave (when I've been using the Gillette 'green' disposables) has been one WTG pass, then XTG on the cheeks and ATG on the moustache and chin. I think what I'm going to do is do my WTG pass with the Merkur and my close pass with the Gillette disposables for a few weeks until my skin gets used to the DE.

Also I either need to get quicker or get up earlier!

Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime, bowl lathered
New Forest Tubby 2 brush (first use :))
EJ DE89, Boots blade (3)
KoS balm

I think the brush will take some getting used to, presumably because it holds so much more water than a boar or mix brush. I did a few soaks and trial lathers through the afternoon, and did rather better with the real thing (possibly coz I used a very cheap cream for the trials). Lather lovely and thick in the mug but still slightly thin on the face.

I did notice afterwards that there was a lot of lather remaining inside the brush. Clearly I need more practice and possibly some slight technical alterations. Felt lovely on the face though, very soft after the boar and mix brushes.

Another effortless quick clean bloodless three-pass shave with the EJ - as easy to use as a cartridge and as clean as the DE it is. Remarkable. Am I now going to slice myself to ribbons when I go to the next razor along (either the 38C or Slimtwist)?

ETA: this is actually the cleanest shave I've had since starting this journey, with zero irritation :).

Saturday

5/8 'Michael Wilding' **
Olivia's 'Ambra' soap sample
Kent BK4
RSC Double-moisturising AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Sunday

5/8 'Michael Wilding' **
Henk's Royal Leather cream
Kent BK4
Body Shop White Musk for Men AS Balm
Body Shop White Musk for Men EDT

** this razor is a no-name that I got on eBay last week, which the seller said he was told had 'belonged to Michael Wilding, the 1940's film star'. I had to look him up on Wikipedia, and found he suffered from (and died as as result of complications of) epilepsy - so I doubt he'd risk straight-shaving! :shock: The razor has a hairline crack running along one side of the blade, just below the spine - but has cleaned & honed up rather well, giving a very, very close shave.

IMAG1051.jpg

Sunday Evening:

• Le Tuft bespoke Urban Hermit's Black & Blues shave set
      Rainbow Super stainless blade (day 3)
      Gibbs Sea Minerals shave cream
      MICAlum stick
      Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel
      La Toja Manantiales ASL
      Floid (Spanish) The Genuine ASB[/list:u][/list:u]

SotD05-06-2011-005.png

Sunday night shave

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: pure badger
Razor: 1965 Gillette SS flair tip
Blade: Gillette Super thin (1st use)
Soap: Mitchells wool fat
AS: One planet

This was my first use of Mitchells wool fat, :shave :D I like it, I like it a lot, great lather :shave , excellent slide and a strangely intoxicating smell! ;) Also the first time I have paired my SS flair tip with Gillette super thins, which proved a good combination BBS with WTG and XTG

Urban Hermit said:
Sunday Evening:

• Le Tuft bespoke Urban Hermit's Black & Blues shave set
      Rainbow Super stainless blade (day 3)
      Gibbs Sea Minerals shave cream
      MICAlum stick
      Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel
      La Toja Manantiales ASL
      Floid (Spanish) The Genuine ASB[/list:u][/list:u]

SotD05-06-2011-005.png

• You sure are a colourful character when it comes to shaving Urban Hermit, it's nice to see something a little different in SOTD, I see quite a few Star Wars books behind you, now i'm going to make you slightly jealous, a young man who lives not to far from me as probably the entire toy collection from the 1970s early 1980s, boxed up never even played with.

Jamie

Monday

Good morning.

Our Hermit is certainly giving us the very colourful side of wet shaving, nice pictures my friend!

Today I thought I should try SE shaving for the first time.

Ever Ready & Gem > New Forest > Top Secret > [IK balm] > [Floris No. 89 EdT]

SOTD_06Jun.jpg

Well, yes, the shave is very very close as well as effortless. But I did get some irritation in the neck. Perhaps I applied too much pressure.
The blade sat flat but not even, on one side the edge remained more inwards. I suspect it has to do with this particular razor.
The Portuguese shave cream smells very nice and once you get the correct lather, properly hydrated, then it's fantastic.

Good morning.

Monday:

Truefitt and Hill authentic No.10 cream
Merkur 34C HD
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (4 I think)
TOBS traditional bay rum

Very nice. Old style bay rum always gives the day a swashbuckling / buccaneering bent.

Sunday

Red Tip & SM(4)
ToBS Almond Cr & 1305

Bearing in mind this was the 4th outing for this blade, it got through 36 hours growth very well and smoothly. Managed to get 2 passes out of the 1305 - mind you I went for a Brasil Nut amount of cream. :|

Monday

Red Tip & Shark SS(1)
Tabac & Ehsan
Tabac ASB
Tabac AS

That's the good stuff!! ;)

EJ DE89
W/SWord (5)
Vulfix bodger
Nannys Ice and a slice
Essentials Balm
Jovan

Great shave. Blade still did the business thanks to cleaning and a bit of hand stropping (dunno if that actually helps!)

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest knot in old barbers handle
Razor: The Three Crosses
Soap: Tabac
AS: Proraso
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
Mighty fine national Day shave :D This blade is such a nice and delicate one, it sings like nothing else on the strop and today she sang the Swedish National Anthem :D
008800x674.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom