Shave of the day W/C 4/06/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fido said:
Swirl and pump, no need to be too gentle with the brush!

True dat. Thanks :).

Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime, bowl lathered
New Forest Tubby 2 brush
EJ DE89, Boots blade (6)
KoS balm

Fido's advice taken, excellent lather achieved very quickly and easily and lasted until the end of the shave with no trouble at all. Now I know where I was failing, I can learn to fail differently.

On the topic of failing differently, a few little blood spots today (so the EJ has now had its first little drink) and quite a bit of irritability at the base of my neck on one side. I suspect from other sensory cues (e.g. seeming to drag a little) that this may actually be a "blunt razor", something I've heard of.

I used to get over a month of three-pass cartridge use before feeling the slightest urge to change it, and so just assumed I'd get four times as long as most from a DE blade too. Mantic mentioned a poll at some point showing most people get 5-6 shaves per blade, so I, especially not shaving chin or top lip, expected comfortably more - but there's no substitute for experiment. We'll try a fresh one tomorrow and see, sticking with the EJ rather than having a play with the Merkur. The journey continues.

Blue Wednesday Evening:

• - Le Tuft bespoke Urban Hermit's Black & Blues shave set
      - Gillette Bleue Extra
      - J M Fraser's Polar Ice shave cream
      - MICAlum stick
      - Humphreys Hydrating Toner witch hazel & Jasmine
      - The Canadian Boosters Co., Barber Shop Classic since 1920s Polar Ice ASL[/list:u][/list:u]

SotD08-06-2011-004b.png

Dr Rick said:
On the topic of failing differently, a few little blood spots today (so the EJ has now had its first little drink) and quite a bit of irritability at the base of my neck on one side. I suspect from other sensory cues (e.g. seeming to drag a little) that this may actually be a "blunt razor", something I've heard of.

Could be that you are going against the grain on the neck without realising.

The hair on the neck can grow in some funny directions.

Good idea to have a good feel around, work out which way the hair grows and follow that direction when shaving - even if that ends up being in one big circle.

"Beard Mapping".

EJ DE89
Red personna (3)
Vulfix Mix
Erasmic
Essentials Balm
Chanel Allure EDT

Good head and face shave:

I must say, Hermits shaves are superb in their variety, they are becoming legendary!

Where do you find all this stuff? All online or are you blessed with an immense array of grooming outlets locally?

Thursday:

TOBS lavender cream
EJ black badger
Gillette Sensor (1)
Caldey Island Lavender aftershave

Quick racing shave with the standby Sensor this morning as I woke up ten minutes later than normal. Not too bad. I can't rush with a Merkur, they do bite.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New forest knot in barbers handle
Razors: C V Heljestrand + Ever Ready
Cream: Vulfix English Rose
AS/cologne: Prof Blightly´s Grapewood
Result: Smooth as a catfishs belly :D
In memory of a SRP member, a cool guy and true excentric - he allways had fine shaves and allways got smooth as a catfishs belly (when I searched for a catfish belly pic, on googles picture search, one of his SOTD:s pics came up :lol:) :D Cheers for you brother Mark and may you RIP!
DSC_0108.jpg

019800x600.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Feather
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
St Johns Bay Rum cologne

BBS results,

Martin

Thursday, 06-09-11. Roxy Music_LP_Roxy Music (1972).

images

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Rooney 1/2 silvertip - Merkur 37C Slant - Super-Max Super Platinum #2 - Pre 3P - Cella shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Floïd - ASL Floïd Vigoroso.

Afeitado09-06-11002-1.jpg

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New forest knot in barbers handle
Razors: C V Heljestrand + Ever Ready
Cream: Vulfix English Rose
AS/cologne: Prof Blightly´s Grapewood
Result: Smooth as a catfishs belly :D
In memory of a SRP member, a cool guy and true excentric - he allways had fine shaves and allways got smooth as a catfishs belly (when I searched for a catfish belly pic, on googles picture search, one of his SOTD:s pics came up :lol:) :D Cheers for you brother Mark and may you RIP!
Hi Mikael, what blades do those interesting razors take pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom